It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:37 pm

Another Song By TheHitman 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Another Song By TheHitman

Ok this is another song i did many years ago while working as an assistant engineer at Soundtrack Studios in NYC. i was learning my craft and working on my music was the best way to learn. again, like the other song i posted, it's not what i would call final product, it's just where it was when i decided to stop working on it. it's more developed than the last song i posted. it's got it's flaws, but it's a good snapshot of that time in my life.

i played everything. drums and 10 string Chapman Stick. recorded the drums first with no click and no reference. hopefully people can check this out and enjoy it. this would best be described as the result of putting a mad scientist in a multi-million dollar recording studio late at night with nothing but drums and a Chapman Stick

Stick #5313 10 String Padauk (Classic Tuning)
10 String Krappy Touchstyle

Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:53 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Another Song By TheHitman

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:19 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

thank u Jayesskerr. every time someone has something positive to say it gives me more and more motivation to make some new music. these songs are old, but i still get a kick out of them and i'm happy to share with other Stick players.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:50 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:00 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

i don't know about light years. i haven't heard anything of yours Jayesskerr, but there's nothing that i've done with the stick that couldn't be learned in a few minutes. it prob sounds more complex than it is because of the number of layers, fx, and drumming, but really the main riffs are all very simple and they repeat over and over. i would say the more interesting things happen with the drums. my drumming could prob make me the poster child for Attention Deficit & Hyperactivity Disorder.

as for my approach, i leaned quite heavily on my drumming background. i feel i'm good with phrasing and voicing. i can put together sentences and speak the words in ways that carry the listener, but i don't have a very strong background in melody or chords. once i get my next instrument that will be something i will make more of an effort to improve upon.

i'm posting one of the first things i ever did with the stick. this is a perfect example of what i am talking about. there's only 2 tracks of stick. 1 where i played bass and rhythm, and then the other i put a lead over top. that's all. once again i did the drums first with no click and no reference. it's basically a jam that has 2 different parts. my approach here was as simple as it gets and what i like about it is the clearly defined translation of the drums to the Stick.

here's what's going on in the main riff in the left hand: think of my pinky as the kick drum and my index finger as the snare.

on the right hand i'm using both the index finger and ring finger back and forth as the hi hat and cymbals.

the main riff i am referring too actually comes in on the 2nd part. the song fades in on what would be the "B" section

so i'm just bouncing back and forth on both hands like a see-saw. if you listen to the phrasing and voicing with the drums carefully, you can hear they are saying exactly the same thing. it's the translation of the same story from one voice to another.

recorded with only 3 mics on the drums onto an ADAT. the quality is just OK

Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:52 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Great stuff Hitman! Welcome back to the Stick community....

cheers,
kev

Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

thx kev. this is a cool site, i'm glad to join the Stickist community.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:37 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I've listen to the songs and I can't shake this feeling that: you were having fun; You knew what you were doing; there is a lot more from were that came from.
Loved it! :) keep them coming :)
cheers
Rodrigo

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:47 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Maybe you downplay your skills to play one line. Debatable. Still, there is no doubt of your skill to write multiple layers, hold rhythm, and get amazing tone.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:44 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Bill, you're well on your way to resurrecting enough material to make an EP. Keep it coming - it's all good stuff!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery