It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:21 am

Fingersticking Song Sketch 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Fingersticking Song Sketch
Here's an idea I was working on this morning. I've discovered that I really enjoy these kinds of arpeggiated patterns on the stick, which I first heard in Emmett's song "Backyard", which is one of my favorites. I can't quite play it consistently yet, but the basic idea is there. The left hand part is very stretchy, so I'm basically just floating that hand (which I've been told is a bad thing, although I can't think of any other way to play it just yet). This is also my first video with my graphite stick.

As always, comments/criticisms/suggestions are very welcome!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjriFVkOHm8[/youtube]

Steven on Youtube
Steven on Sound Cloud

Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:06 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Fingersticking Song Sketch
Hey Steven. Great effort! I enjoy listening in on the creative process sometimes more than the "finished" product. The tones you have selected to fingerstick are beautiful. The beginning sort of gets the listener into the mood then around 1:08 you start experimenting with other tones and the piece gets even more exciting. Notes that are close to the original chord but not always in the key center definitely draw attention to themselves and my brain tries them out whether the artist is using them in a song or not. I admire your bravery in tonal pioneering here!(clap, clap) There should be an award for doing this kind of thing.

One thing I might suggest is once you have established the arpeggio in your song, simplify it. Our ears will still want to hear the full expression and, in my opinion, still will even if you dont play it. That may free you up to move around the fingerboard a little more(G. Howard's hand movement) and add notes that last for longer or shorter durations. Even drastically longer or shorter!

I can hear this as a solo piece, or the foundation of a band effort. Great job and don't forget that the journey is more substantial than the destination!

Mike

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Fingersticking Song Sketch
I don't think there's anything "bad" about floating the left hand. The main issue is that you lose some support and stability of the board. However, if your left hand is floating, you can regain some of that stability by bracing the Stick against your shoulder and body (see Boris Bazurov for a good example).

Transitioning can also be an issue, when you're trying to move your thumb in front of and behind the Stick. If you need to do a quick transition, then I think it's better to try to find alternate fingerings or hand positions. I have one song where I reach my left hand over the top of the instrument because it was too difficult to play in the normal position. And I have another where I was playing some chords that were difficult to reach with the left hand, but I found that a small adjustment of switching my index and middle finger positions and angling my hand slightly differently made it more manageable. You might try seeing if you can find the same notes on different strings or maybe see if you can incorporate your right hand more, so that the left doesn't have to stretch.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:21 pm