It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:16 pm

New video - Phideaux tune 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: New video - Phideaux tune
There is something really interesting in this tuning, miror 4th, I like a lot. If I had to choose again that would be my choice.

Great song...

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Per, yes that is a delay in the beginning with a very long feedback, I shut off the delay after a few seconds to stop the "loop" recording but the feedback continues on, and a volume pedal is able to control the level.

No immediate plans for a new album, my "day job" workload has been quite high the last couple years, developing interesting music technology with Wave Arts and Camel Audio, but performing and writing has taken a temporary back seat of late. These videos give me an opportunity to present some of my music and don't take too long to produce (not quite as agonizing as the album recording process).

Thank you Emmett for the always insightful observations and analysis, I appreciate your support. :) Those double stop fourths (on the high bass strings) with the index or middle finger are very inviting, with their dual ability to fill out left hand chords (the root will usually be under the pinky or ring finger) and provide rhythmic punch as necessary.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Ditto all the compliments and impressed-musician talk! Bravo Rob.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:00 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

robmartino wrote:
my "day job" //// developing interesting music technology with Wave Arts and Camel Audio
You're so "with the good guys" doing that! I'm a big Alchemy fan here - a funny experience for me was when looking for a suitable electric piano type sound when producing an electronica track it turned out the best sound I could get was provided by the Alchemy Synth and guess what - it was a Stick sample Rob had put there! This sample was not part of any Alchemy Library patches, I just found it hidden deep into nested folders when desperately monitoring every damn sample in place to find one that would work for the MIDI recording. Isn't it funny that one simple Stick sample won over hundreds of other samples! It simply sounded right.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Pretty slammin', Rob.

I gotta say, of all the Stickists out there, you have managed to get a better sound out of your instrument than *any other* I've ever heard. Out of sheer ignorance, I attribute this to the fact you live and breathe plug-ins and sound enhancement. Whatever the reason, your Stick sounds FANTASTIC.

Also, I've always been a big fan of your covers. Gentle Giant and Tull are very close to my heart, having grown up with them. Such a pleasure to hear your take on those pieces, and to hear your original tunes which are so different but bearing the hallmarks of the music I know and love.

This is a great piece, Rob. You do that tuning justice, my man. Watching you play makes it make sense to me.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:04 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Wow Kev, thank you very much! That really means a lot. A very nice post to read right after the Red Sox win the World Series too. :)

The Gentle Giant tune I do is on the short list for new video candidates, I would like to present that one in better quality. And there is definitely another Tull tune that will be coming out...

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Using the Alchemy synth too for a couple of years now.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:49 pm