It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:41 pm

"Tear Jay" video by AZUL 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: "Tear Jay" video by AZUL
not yet stick wrote:
IMHO,exceptional music excites and inspires musicians to become better.This does all that and a bag of your favorite chips.This is wonderful music. I'd also love to hear what material you decided not to use for the CD.With players of this caliber,that process must be extremely difficult.Then again maybe I'm wrong.
Many thanks for such a kind comment.

We ended up not using about 30 minutes, including the very beginning of the session, where we had some technical issues, and the very end where I suggested we do something with a certain feel, and that just killed the buzz.

This music seems to work best when it has no preconceptions tied to it at all, and we don't discuss it ahead of time...

Or we could just have been tired after recording for two hours... thanks for the question...

you knew it was coming...obligatory thread page reposting...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXvI6jqT0TM[/youtube]

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Finally it's available on iTunes in México!!! Great album. I love how the Stick can fill different roles; this is an excellent example the versatility and possibilities of the winds-drums-strings combination.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:48 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

enrique wrote:
Finally it's available on iTunes in México!!! Great album. I love how the Stick can fill different roles; this is an excellent example the versatility and possibilities of the winds-drums-strings combination.
Thanks, Enrique!

This trio format is very powerful indeed. The Stick can do so many things.

Can you tell me what the link is for it in Mexico?

Thanks!

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Really really lovely tune!

This one kind of hits home. It kind of reminds me of some of the late night melancholy loop sessions I'll have in my studio (that sounds kind of weird but I couldn't think of a better way to phrase that).

That could have gone on all afternoon :)

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Sure thing, Greg; here it is:

https://itunes.apple.com/mx/album/azul/id703450852?l=en

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:02 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Greg,
Wow- lotta good stuff going on here! Although it is totally improvised, it remains cohesive from start to finish. The ambient somber feel is salubrious and bathes the listener in audio delights!

I feel IMHO this is one of the stronger tracks on the album and most listenable.

Your playing is spot on, the motor and the echo line alter ever so slightly as to keep interest, yet you never miss a groove or a beat.

John plays and dances notes around your line, and Brian keeps a time with eccentric devices like the jam block running from left to right which works really great here.

I think the autofocus was centering on the 1950's Sci Fi spaceship set and that materializing blue entity behind you. hey, is this the Learning Channel? "Three musicians are recording in a studio which they felt safe in experimenting in, little did they know that it was built on ancient burial grounds and noted UFO sightings!" :D

as the lottery clerks say "another winner"!
take care,
Dave Brosky

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

dbrosky wrote:
Greg,
Wow- lotta good stuff going on here! Although it is totally improvised, it remains cohesive from start to finish. The ambient somber feel is salubrious and bathes the listener in audio delights!

I feel IMHO this is one of the stronger tracks on the album and most listenable.

Your playing is spot on, the motor and the echo line alter ever so slightly as to keep interest, yet you never miss a groove or a beat.

John plays and dances notes around your line, and Brian keeps a time with eccentric devices like the jam block running from left to right which works really great here.

I think the autofocus was centering on the 1950's Sci Fi spaceship set and that materializing blue entity behind you. hey, is this the Learning Channel? "Three musicians are recording in a studio which they felt safe in experimenting in, little did they know that it was built on ancient burial grounds and noted UFO sightings!" :D

as the lottery clerks say "another winner"!
take care,
Dave Brosky
Thanks so much for all the kind comments, Dave. My favorite thing about this piece is the way the little two-note melody phrase turns around in relation to the "1". When it first comes in it's in one place and then it shifts later on to another...

We had a great gig last night in Richmond, and the chemistry of the band just keeps getting better. I think we've done eight gigs so far. There's a great audience for more open jazz in Richmond, thanks to VCU.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

gpoorman wrote:
Really really lovely tune!

This one kind of hits home. It kind of reminds me of some of the late night melancholy loop sessions I'll have in my studio (that sounds kind of weird but I couldn't think of a better way to phrase that).

That could have gone on all afternoon :)

Thanks so much, Glenn.

I always appreciate how "tuneful" your pieces are...

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery