It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:07 am

New "composed" oceans video/track 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post New "composed" oceans video/track
This track is one of many new musical perspectives I am exploring. Here it is Stickist friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M-NyuTeHdo

Ola, details to come about this and more later....
Anyway, Ya may have heard it on my blog, but this sound quality is somehow Way better. And there is a slide show vid too.

So I had just written a super long essay of a post,and then it got erased, arghhh. I do have some sorta neat insights and concepts to share about this. Much relates to this song and the creative process. Perhaps later on I can least share some semi-interesting thoughts about this music and new concepts I am interested in. I shall post them later.

Well the main gist I'm pondering is the goal to balance the technical with pure inspiration. The zen with the more heady math/science approach. And their interrelationship. A huge subject I know. My main trip is to integrate these kind of micro electronic beats with short decay times and quick attack. And a bit quick on the bpm frontier for strategic brain/soul influencing reasons. Its based on a rougue version of the hemi-synch stereo technology. It utilizes pretty strong stereo imaging that supposedly affect the brain in really interesting ways. Like inducing out of body experiences and trances amongst other more normal things like affecting emotions. I aim to feature the stick in a fresh, and harmonically inspired way. Using lots of augmented and diminished of course, but placing some chromatic notes in a more creative,methodical way that may have an more dramatic harmonic quality/feel/emotion than the the usual dissonance. I'll be back......

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:21 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: New "composed" oceans video/track
Very nice! You're on to something interesting. Wasn't quite able to leave my body though.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:03 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Very cool!!!!!!

I really dig this type of stuff. How much improv? how much chance music? How long did a track like this take to put together?

Brett

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

BW: "Well the main gist I'm pondering is the goal to balance the technical with pure inspiration."

EC: You're on the wing and on your way.

BW: "And a bit quick on the bpm frontier for strategic brain/soul influencing reasons."

EC: Many musicians fail to realize that speed can be a catapult to creativity outside the self, a vital necessity as an improvising form, like sketching.

BW: "I aim to feature the stick in a fresh, and harmonically inspired way."

EC: I'm at home with your blend of harmony amid chromatic dissonance. What a great musical game you're inventing, and The Stick is a part of it (along with some of those strangely uttered rhythms).

BW: "...but placing some chromatic notes in a more creative methodical way that may have a more dramatic harmonic quality/feel/emotion than the the usual dissonance."

EC" Yeah, the "usual dissonance" often leaves me feeling flat - jazz, classical, this style, that style. You're on to something new with high energy of the most subtle kind.

I couldn't help but play along with your "Spellcasting" piece, that is, nonstop for about a half hour, totally inspired, challenged too, and I'd even say spellbound. And yes, I left my body behind, FingerSticking the intricate rhythms and soaring over the top at the highest melody Rails.

You may be "beyond broke" now, but I can see studio gold at the end of the rainbow. Your artist/collaborator just has to know how to "play along".

Thanks for brand new Stick music! Emmett

Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:14 am

Well said Emmett.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:40 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

very cool stuff. Thank you for sharing this.

Red Railboard Classic

Host of Beyond the Playlist with JHammondC

Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:21 pm
Contributor
Contributor

That was pretty cool...very differant. I liked it.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:30 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I liked this also.. It had a swirly vibe kinda like the
Fripp and Eno ~ Swastika Girls tune from days gone by
while still maintaining it's own flavor.

thanks for posting! ..

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:42 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Oh wow, thanks guys. That really helps inspire me to practice and play more. I have pretty low self esteem or whatever, so I will take the compliments to heart. Glad to have friends here. I hope we all share more music and videos this year.

About the track: I was joking to a buddy that this track could be called 30 thousand hours, or something like that hah. Cause it took so freakin long to make, and that is not always a good thing. You can totally overproduce studio stuff and spend tons of time/effort but then end up with a medicore track. Or lose sight of what you were after in the first place. Kinda like those awesome pop star producers haha. Anyway, alot of time was spent on the intricate electronic work/sonic production and the mental details that entails. Some of it is like torture ya know, but hopefully you see the light ahead and carry on. Using mad processing and computer programs that are not quite intuitive are pretty far from being a pleasant creative art form, at least in the development stages.

This track was pretty much all composed(not written out though), with the middle segment floating away a bit.
I had this chord progression from the second part that took me forever, but I think I got the feeling right. And the unison lines were pretty tough but they got my chops up from a few nights of going at it. Then playing a kind of musical follow the leader with the line was new for me. It almost sounds wrong in a way but that is kinda cool. I need to learn the way classical musicians write that stuff where basically two identical musical lines start at different times. then try that live with two hands! That would be a trip huh.

And a special thanks to the grand wizard Emmett! You are probably my biggest inspiration in many ways, so your words really mean alot. That is so cool that you jammed along too, I can't believe that. What an honor. Maybe one day we can collaborate(I'm not worthy!).

I have some more abstract philosophies to come, but I've gotta go practice my harmonic 'major' harmony now. I think the first mode is just major with a flat 6 right? Man that tonality really grabs me.

Cheers!

Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:19 pm
Contributor
Contributor

cool beats, and everything else too.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:51 pm