It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:29 am

pre stick showcase 

Post pre stick showcase
Hello again to all aficionados, during my introductory phase I may have alot of posts. This is a link to a youtube playlist that has some of my Pre-stick tap guitar stuff and some early stick. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrChristoph ... n9xuNSkkkY

Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: pre stick showcase
Good stuff Chris. I look forward at the beginning of this 2011, to witness your development on Stick. You definitely "got the music".

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Wow great work with the acoustic tapping.

I'm really curious about your setup there.
What kind of tuning and gage did you use to optimize tapping?

Did you try multiple kinds of pickups for the acoustic, what worked better?

I'm *this* close to ordering my stick, but I'd really like to be able to tap on something, and i've debating trying to set up my yamaha acoustic for that. I've played around with tunings and string gages and just about come up with something that works, but I haven't ventured to pick ups yet.

Any thoughts?

Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:15 pm

Just tune every string down a step (maybe two). then file down the bridge saddle a little. but tapping on a guitar vs the stick is totally different. on a guitar you have to share strings with other fingers and it takes a bit of careful syncopation. I view tap guitar more as showing off than song sculpting.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great inspiring stuff Chris, but don't sell yourself short on tapping guitar; it is every bit composing as it would be on any other instrument (and you have some nice moves.) As far as "showing off" :o 8-) You! me? This is show business my friend; of course your a showoff and you should be, we all are, or want to be :oops:

But thanks for posting this. Seriously playing both instruments (and cross pollinating) is my main focus musically these days. I think it is really good too for want-to-be Stick players to see how much the guitar can be used to tap...

I liked the song "Stanley" some way that you play a particular passage gives it a
jazzy, key into the cool that makes me think you have a lot under the hood ;)

Anyway, so your into Stanley Jordon and Justin King right but what about
the European guy Carlos Vamos? Very beautiful articulations on the acoustic. If not here is a link to his site: http://www.youtube.com/user/guitarnica

jrj

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:07 pm

I could never get into my acoustic much.
Its pretty crappy anyway.
I mostly just want to have something to prepare for stick, so that when I get the stick I can make something sound decent.
I'm a keyboard guy, so great independence, not so great fretwork.

What is that humbucker in the sound hole you were using, I haven't seen one like that, is that custom made?

Last edited by varnon on Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:24 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Nice to see tapping on an acoustic guitar. I have tried that but just can't make it work. When comparing string action setup with my 12 str Grand I suspect you need to set up an acoustic guitar rather extremely in order to make it "tappable". Right?

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

again, the action isn't altered that much. although i've never had a tolorance for anything but a low action. maybe i'll take some pics and post them. and as far as the guitar with the humbucker... it's a martin DXM that i bought for 20$! thats a story in itself. that guitar has been my test dummy for setting a super low action and the pickup is just a fishman single coil (not bucker) but i cut the cord off and soldered it to an input jack that works as a strap peg. That rig works but i really love my taylor, the expression system is really nice for that kind of stuff plus you can bang on the body and it will have a very nice sound.
and for jrj, i will definatly check that guy out but i'd like to suggest some "andreas kapsolis trio" or the duo with goran ivonovich and andreas. you'll have to forgive me, i'm without a link...

Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:38 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

chris skinner wrote:
i've never had a tolorance for anything but a low action.
Well, I've been playing some rather high guitar string action in the past, so I guess I have some relearning to do. (single coil guitar in funk music where you're supposed to deliver a snappy sound, to avoid fret buzz high action is the only way to go then)

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

ok, back to this humbucker in the sound hole. I hadn't watched any of those videos in a long time so i had to laugh when i looked at this humbucker in question. it's a bucker from an epihone les paul (leftover parts from an upgrade i did for a buddy) and it's mounted to a "feed back buster" and then hard wired to the input jack. I think i made that because the fishman single was noisy as can be and my taylor wasn't functional at the time. oh memories.....

Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery