It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:11 pm

Recording feedback? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Recording feedback?
Hey all,

So for better or worse I'm trying to record a solo Stick album - I've spent the last few weeks getting more familiar with Logic 9 and developing a "minimal frustration" workflow (I don't particularly enjoy recording). I invested in a higher quality firewire interface (Apogee Duet), and put away all my Boss effects- my focus is on a simpler but solid recording front end, and doing all post-production on the computer.

Here's a practice performance/mix from this weekend, would be interested in critique:
Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Recording feedback?
First of all, it's very nicely done.

I think a lot of the tone criticisms are going to be based on personal opinion. The mix is bright, but not in a sense where it's overly trebly. For me I would tone it down just a bit which will help mellow out the mix. For me that would probably be all.

Thanks for sharing, and I can't wait for the cd.

Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:56 pm

I love it. Well done, Rob.

Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:08 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Rob, I am willing to come out of "creative seclusion" because this new stuff seems
like mile stone leaping progress and I for one am deeply impressed, inspired, even
a little envious but in a good way.
Are there any videos of you playing this at this level?

Wow! :shock: I love how the piece carries the listener along, resolves, and then picks up
always keeping us a little unsure then the theme pours in and then de-solves again.

:arrow: On the recording side it's pretty darn good to my ear but perhaps a little too glassy or digital sounding. I know it is a subjective thing so I can't help saying "I would prefer"
but IWP the bass to have more "pocket" or thump, an analogue warm round sound that could make me glad.

And oddly when I listen I look :? For me to "see" the stereo image is one of the wonderful things about music. So when I watch this play the bass seems to be at the top of the image; as though the whole structure is making an arc and there is an opening at the lower middle portion like the bottom sky of a rainbow :geek: Put a cloud in there and it will be perfect :twisted:
Thanks for posting this.
*j*

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:16 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I think both sound great Rob. I'm also recording with Logic 9 and I know one of MY issues is the program offers so much in the way of processing I tend to throw too much in each tune ... or track for that matter. Perhaps this is what you're feeling? It's so easy and tempting to over produce with Logic. But having those type of options is also wonderful ... it just makes it harder to say "done" ;-) Oh and I think you're smart putting away the peddles. Recording straight into your firewire allows you to change you mind in regard to processing as often as you like and try a million different effect combos. If you record using a peddle before the firewire that effect is there forever.

I don't know if you're using a portable MAC or desk top but if you're using the full Logic Studio program and have Main Stage and a laptop MAC you can actually set up the exact same effect patches and use the processing live the same as you did on the recording. That's VERY sweet in regard to being able to reproduce live with you did in the studio.

Anyway good luck and keep up the good work. I look forward to hearing the finished product.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Rob-It sounds great hearing your Stick without all the artificial Fluff.
Keep it up!!
Mike

Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:06 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks everyone, but by all means, more criticism is allowed!

The treble issue is one I've wrestled with a while. My old recordings sound very bass heavy and muffled, and this time around I listened to a bunch of other solo CDs (bass, acoustic guitar, Stick) to get closer to a balance I'm happy with.

I'm recording at 96 Khz which perhaps is overkill- although some plug-ins can take advantage of the high sample rates, like analog modeling software, but it sure makes Guitar Rig more difficult to work with (which was used for the intro sound). Other than the obvious things like delay and the synth-like intro, I'm just adding EQ and reverb to the Stick tracks and a little spatial processing to spread the image a bit (maybe that's what's adding the "digital" quality). I do some limiting at the end to boost the volume. I'm trying to keep it simpler than my Boss multi-effects chains, but there sure is a temptation to use all the stuff that Logic makes possible.

My issues with the recording are more performance/intonation related. When I listened back to a lot of my recording experiments lately, I know in my "excitement" I sometimes push the light gauge strings a bit out of tune, but last night I decided to spend an hour and carefully check all my bridge pieces and discovered some of them to be somewhat out of whack. I made some adjustments and the whole instrument seems more in tune now.

I also feel like I fight the tempo at times, it's not totally smooth- perhaps related to my refusal to practice with a metronome or work on rudiments of any kind! Some of the stuff I record will have freer tempo and not be recorded with a metronome, but it makes things so much easier later on when there is a metronome used - easier to do multiple takes, punch-ins, etc. (so this recording was all done to a metronome). Logic has a really nice "take" system that lets you compare versions and easily grab the best bits from each one if needed.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

JRJ wrote:
Are there any videos of you playing this at this level?

Thanks JRJ, this would probably be the closest, from last year's FredTap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-uk7ZcEmUQ

Somewhat rushed, from the adrenaline of the moment!

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:04 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I think you sound really smooth, Rob. I like the overall sound of the recording, too. Clarity is nice; I don't think it sounds overly trebly. The only thing I noticed (and I had to rack my brain and really LISTEN to find it) is that the occaisional melody-side note sounds a microtone out of pitch, like maybe you're pushing too hard on the string? That's about all I can come up with. Sounds really good to me 8-)

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hi Rob,
Beautiful performance! The Duet sounds really nice too -open/airy. Is the example published @96K?
Best,
Bill

Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:51 pm