It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:18 am

"Antonia" - Grand Stick 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post "Antonia" - Grand Stick
Hi all,

Decided to pull out my arrangement of the Pat Metheny tune "Antonia" today.

I have to say, most of these tunes I'm use to playing with at least a little bit of delay on them. So I am still with just the little practice amp and no effects. I've honestly been torn between running down to grab my rig or just riding things out and using this as an opportunity to simply learn to play better. For now I'm sticking with the latter. It is interesting though. I'm finding myself thinking a lot more about how notes are played. The attack, duration, vibrato, etc. It's a good exercise not only to play this way but to record these videos very conscious of how the result sound.

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: "Antonia" - Grand Stick
So far this is my favorite of all Glenn's video performances. I've never heard the song but it's such an honest and sensitive rendition, much like professional collaboration between an electric guitarist and bass guitarist.

I particularly enjoyed the moments of interlocking fingers from both hands and the seamless transitions in and out of that "fingerSticking" technique. Could it be his piano training transferred onto the fretboard? It worked well with all the minor and major 3rds in the song's theme.

It seems Glenn has chosen the correct "fork in the road", that is, unprocessed Stick strings with all expressive nuances in the fingers themselves. It's so impressive (and challenging) to play such a rich and warm rendition directly on the strings. Who does that anyway?!

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:17 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

That is a really nice tune (never heard the original) and that is beautifully played all these posts are making me want to play (which I am). As far as effects, when I plug in, the PODX3 comes on and it's usually got ALL the buttons pushed, and I shut everything off to tune (I use a clip-on tuner, but I also check with my ear in various places on the board w/ unisons, double stops, etc.) then start playing and go thru my current "works in progress" & etc. for awhile to see where I can improve expression. After I take my first smoke break is where I start "pushing the buttons" again, and experimenting with sounds. Joe Zawinul once said every new sound on the synthesiser inspires a new song, and I feel the same way as far as effects (esp. delays). But the Stick sounds so GOOD without ANYTHING. As Emmett said it's the nuances that come out of "fingers on strings" that blows me away.

Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Just listened to Metheny's version. I like yours better.

Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Excellent performance. Great version for Stick
Congrats. You must find that guy from the railroad restaurant and play it for him
Striped shirt would add some entertainment value

Steve A

Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I remember a video you did of this tune a few years ago. I enjoyed it then and again now. Thanks. I love the album this comes from.

If you can't find the guy from the Filling Station restaurant, I'll take his place.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BrianBaggett306

Lap Bars: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/chapma ... -lap-bars/
TAGG Interface: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/tagg-interface/

Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:48 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

gpoorman wrote:
...most of these tunes I'm use to playing with at least a little bit of delay on them. So I am still with just the little practice amp and no effects. I've honestly been torn between running down to grab my rig or just riding things out and using this as an opportunity to simply learn to play better....

...and you just proved it works...
...thank you very much, and wow...

Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:41 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Woah.. that was great. Thanks for sharing!

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Brilliant and gorgeous, Glen. One of my favorite Metheny compositions. Thanks for posting.

Harry

Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:30 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

very nice!
I'm glad you went "dry"

Im not on your level, but I can relate to the observation...really on any instrument..and I m easy prey for adding treatments even I don't like. Then I feel like a kid who just ate a whole bowl of cake frosting...a little sick

I have the same thing with beer (I've done some home brewing) yes, I understand the allure of burying the grain under a full moon for a month and infusing it with waka waka fruit and cheese rinds and not saying there isn't a valid place-- but how about a reset and brewing a clean straight ahead pilsner - it takes some perspective, brutal self-honesty and mindful-sensitivity

speaking of clarity -- newer HD video still weirds me out. There's something about it that feels preternaturally clear

heh, I just read Mr Chapman's comment and I noticed some of the same words came to mind : honesty, sensitivity
I suppose that speaks to the clarity of your approach that those come through

Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:53 am