It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:12 am

How about YET ANOTHER Mad World cover? With a solo...? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: How about YET ANOTHER Mad World cover? With a solo...?
kevin-c wrote:
My thoughts on reverb.

Reverb. Always. On..

Cheers,
K

:D Translation : Holy crap you suck, Scott definitely add reverb!. hehehe

Anyways, it's been a good week or so since I last posted in this - my soloing has improved considerably over top of the 4 note sequence that I use - Time is getting a bit better, might be all the time I spend with a metronome... The nice thing is that I'm noticing a lot of improvement in my other pieces as well. I think I might change things up a bit by changing the accompaniment to more of a "riff" as opposed to an arpeggio pad. the arpeggios are great for an exercise, but I think I'd rather hear something else. Onwards and upwards, right? Anyways, enjoy!

*Hands out barf bags...

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:16 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

OK, so I thought I'd share the riff in the early development stages of being able to solo over it, improvise. It's a bit tough, as the riff is a statement unto itself, and I need to keep track of that while maybe trying to do something interesting over top of it.

For now, I start with repeating notes. Then I add a note. Then I add a note, then I add a note. In the video, I get up to 4! But... I will get it to a point where I can play the whole scale in position right across the neck with the right hand.

Yeah, I know it sucks. Not too interesting. Boring. But, I gotta start somewhere... And repeating notes works.

Good fun. More to come, enjoy! :D

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:53 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Lost in translation....lolz.

No brother, you don’t suck....as a matter of fact, I wish I had a quick right hand like yours....I don’t, and never will.

I use verb always because I like the sound. Probably not the best practice technique but I don’t give a shit......no Grammy’s for me then.

You using distortion or overdrive on the bass side?

Cheers,
K

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

:D All good; I know I have much work to do to get to where I want to be.

So, no distortion/overdrive on that particular patch coming from the patch itself, but there is a gross amount of compression that I favour which lends itself to a certain sort of squishiness. I like a tone that's a bit mean, so yeah there's a bit of a growl pretty much everywhere in my patches! On my gained out patches, I don't have a lot of saturation - I prefer an overdrive.

And reverb is kind of a new thing for me - I always preferred a delay for my ambience effects but Rob Gellner kind of piqued my interest in that...

Right hand speed - I guess it's not too bad, I have been working pretty hard to match my left hand speed but I am thinking I will need a few more years to get things to jive!

Heck, I am just happy I can actually solo a bit over a riff. There was a time where I really wasn't too sure it was going to be possible. Getting there...

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:26 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

You are making progress Scott. I love reverb and like what you added. One still needs to play the notes right (ie holding the notes down til the next note)

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:41 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

If I may add (and who am I to give advice?)

Work on the legato a bit more if you can,...on both sides of the Stick. I’m not great at it myself and tend to hide behind delay to accomplish this,....mea culpa.

Scott, I’m not a big fan of the squishy tone on the bass side as a listener.....but that’s just me and my personal preference. It sounds distorted to me. But again, everyone has their own thing going on. I use a lot of effects on both sides of my stick that please my ear, but maybe not other ears.

I’d really like to hear you play the version again without the compression, but not dry. Perhaps chorus and verb.

Much love me bro...

Cheers,
Kev

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

kevin-c wrote:
If I may add (and who am I to give advice?)

Work on the legato a bit more if you can,...on both sides of the Stick. I’m not great at it myself and tend to hide behind delay to accomplish this,....mea culpa.

Scott, I’m not a big fan of the squishy tone on the bass side as a listener.....but that’s just me and my personal preference. It sounds distorted to me. But again, everyone has their own thing going on. I use a lot of effects on both sides of my stick that please my ear, but maybe not other ears.

I’d really like to hear you play the version again without the compression, but not dry. Perhaps chorus and verb.

Much love me bro...

Cheers,
Kev

:D Well, I'm a bit burnt out - I had a pretty busy day today but I thought I'd share my first swing at improv practice on the Stick today. I have a few things I am trying to get into my system, ascending and descending 4's (as 16ths) and a pedal point thing along with some trills which I hope to work into some slurs, (hammers/pull-offs) It's still pretty primitive, but I'll get it. I have a list that is literally a mile long of things I am trying to learn to do, so I can only kind of bang them off one at a time, and it seems to take a long time before it gets "natural".

Anyways, another for your amusement. lol Nobody really watches these, so I am totally cool with sharing stuff as I'm working it out. lol How "not" to play the Chapman Stick... :D

And as far as playing over the "riff statement", well I got the scale down over top of it, kind of just up and down - took a bit of practice tonight, but it's not too bad. Tomorrow I'll take a swing at 1/4 note triplets over the riff, got those down pretty good early on over the arpeggios - but I learned Del Mar and All of Me, so both those tunes really helped out with that sort of thing. I'm going to do a much more polished version of Mad World in the new year that uses some of these ideas - could be interesting... I hope! :D

Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:52 pm

LOL #7 descending lead is wicked mate! Getting there man.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:24 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Speaking of yet ANOTHER Mad World cover....

https://www.facebook.com/JonnyMayMusic/ ... 406131843/

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:04 pm