It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 am

Robert Fripp String Quartet featuring Trey Gunn 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Robert Fripp String Quartet featuring Trey Gunn
I've always been a Crimson fan but not a die-hard fan. Sometimes they lose me and I don't find them infallible by any stretch. I always thought Fripp was a fairly brilliant technician. As far as his music itself, sometimes I really connect and other times I don't. For this particular performance, it's funny that Steve mentioned the tune "Hope" as that's always been my favorite from this particular group.

I always liked Gunn. I think he has a gift for melody and a lot of his soloing is simply gorgeous. One of KC's signature tunes through the late 90s was "Deception of the Thrush" which ... to me ... was all Gunn. Without his soloing in the final section, it's a dead tune. He never really played the two-handed style like a piano player though. He's always leaned toward being a two-handed melody soloist or a two-handed bassist. Probably why he originally gravitated to the 8-string instrument tuned "Crafty".

With all that said ... when I see these old videos from this group or from groups like the "League of Crafty Guitarists", one of the first things that always jumps out at me is that these guys NEVER look like they're enjoying themselves. That must be a by-product of being young, impressionable, and under the thumb of Robert Fripp.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery