It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

Stick Tune - Black Hole Sun (Extra Horrendous) 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Stick Tune - Black Hole Sun (Extra Horrendous)
The musical reign of terror continues! :D

I had to try this tune out, plus it helps me continue destroying the forum with Stick music, so that's cool...

I was trying to get all of the guitar parts in there for the verse and the chorus as best I could while playing the melody. Ummm, the time is a bit loose particularly in the verse part - I had a weird "hand cross" issue, so I ended up doing that part with the RH on the bass side and the LH on the melody. It just worked out better for me at the time. Oh, and I didn't do the cool Kim Thayil solo (A bit down the road technique-wise for me I think) And I kind of petered out/got confused (I hate sightreading from tab books, I wish I could get notation only copies hahah)

Big thanks to Josh Goldberg and Boaz for posting killer versions on this tune for inspiration. I'm a big Soundgarden/Cornell fan so this was a tune I had to try...

16 minutes, sightread the damn thing down from my "current alternative" book (Which is, like totally not current bahaha)

Oh, and I ended on a Cmaj #11 chord, not in the tune, but I thought it'd be a cool "end" chord to cut the thing short!

Anyways, if you want to hear this played well, go check out Josh and Boaz's version. In the meantime, allow me to burn your ears out...

https://soundcloud.com/jayesskerr/stick-black-hole-sun

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:33 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Stick Tune - Black Hole Sun (Extra Horrendous)
Some fun facts about this one;

1) I used octaves for the chorus. I think that it really helps add some power to a section that one wants to sound and feel 'distinct' from the rest of the tune.

2) I played "hands uncrossed" for the verse section. It felt really weird, and isn't a way I normally play, but it was the best way to keep the hands from crashing, as they were both in the same position. It really made for some "loose" parts in that section rhythmically...

3) I tried my utmost to play Kim Thayil's rhythm parts as faithfully as possible. Hence, I used pretty much the same voicings him and Chris did.

:D So does it work? I don't know. This isn't a presentation of a finished, polished piece of music. Rather, it's a "capture" of some practicing. Take a listen, let me know what you think.
It was fun to put together, that's the main thing.

And hey, if so inclined y'all could head over to the "2017 Collaboration thread" in "Announcements" and see about submitting a small chunk of music - it would be cool to have you!

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:15 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Octaves cool ! Just got round to listening, day 1 on the ship has been about as much fun a s flying to the sun with wax wings. :x
Your output in amazing, will try and get something done for the collaboration as soon as the dust settles or explodes here. Cheers . B

Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey Jayesskerr, very cool arrangement of Black Hole Sun, love the intriguing bass/chordal counterpoint to the melody. Thank you for sharing. I presently do not own a Stick (yet), but I am absorbing all of the information and musical inspiration I can while I prepare to get my first Stick. Thank you for the inspiration Jayesskerr! And Happy Thanksgiving!

Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:08 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

piratebruce wrote:
Octaves cool ! Just got round to listening, day 1 on the ship has been about as much fun a s flying to the sun with wax wings. :x
Your output in amazing, will try and get something done for the collaboration as soon as the dust settles or explodes here. Cheers . B

Flying to the sun with wax wings, what a great idea! - In concept! Haha but yes, it sounds like not very much fun. Hopefully, day 2 of the ship is a much better experience.

As far as my "output" goes, it's just me hitting "record" at the end of a practice session. No big whup, Just having fun - thanks for checking it out!

I can't wait to see/hear what you do for the collaboration. Gonna be cool!

Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:11 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

BillyLee wrote:
Hey Jayesskerr, very cool arrangement of Black Hole Sun, love the intriguing bass/chordal counterpoint to the melody. Thank you for sharing. I presently do not own a Stick (yet), but I am absorbing all of the information and musical inspiration I can while I prepare to get my first Stick. Thank you for the inspiration Jayesskerr! And Happy Thanksgiving!

Hey! Thanks for checking it out! And also thanks for the kind words, much appreciated! The funny thing is that I literally played pretty much the exact same guitar parts on the bass side, and then the vocal over top. I also included the intro "solo". So any "counterpoint-ness" comes naturally by just playing the tune. Lots of fun, tapping is a neat way to play music. :D

You know, even though you don't have a Stick just yet there are some really great tappers out there who play guitar... Stanley Jordan is really, really, really good. Adam Fulara and his fullX trio is awesome, so is Chris Broderick. Heck, Joe Satriani has a cool tapping thing on pretty much every album (Midnight, Day at the Beach) Steve Vai and Eddie Van Halen do lots of cool stuff. Billy Sheehan and Stuart Hamm, Less Claypool and Michael Manring... Check 'em out, lots of great playing, all on YouTube!

Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:19 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
BillyLee wrote:

You know, even though you don't have a Stick just yet there are some really great tappers out there who play guitar... Stanley Jordan is really, really, really good. Adam Fulara and his fullX trio is awesome, so is Chris Broderick. Heck, Joe Satriani has a cool tapping thing on pretty much every album (Midnight, Day at the Beach) Steve Vai and Eddie Van Halen do lots of cool stuff. Billy Sheehan and Stuart Hamm, Less Claypool and Michael Manring... Check 'em out, lots of great playing, all on YouTube!

Thanks for the reminder Scott, clean forgot about Satch's Midnight & Day at the beach, and....I just found day at the beach on my Mac. Learnt that one years ago, it wasn't as hard as i thought though I've long forgotten it. Might be a listen to joe on the ship night , Thanks ! :D

Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

piratebruce wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
BillyLee wrote:

Thanks for the reminder Scott, clean forgot about Satch's Midnight & Day at the beach, and....I just found day at the beach on my Mac. Learnt that one years ago, it wasn't as hard as i thought though I've long forgotten it. Might be a listen to joe on the ship night , Thanks ! :D

Joe rocks! Maybe his tapping isn't the same as a Stickist's, but holy crap has he sold an album or two, and influenced 5 or 6 guitar players...

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:35 pm