It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

Stick Tune - Blackstar (Yngwie J. Malmsteen) 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Stick Tune - Blackstar (Yngwie J. Malmsteen)
:D The day before Halloween, so here's a first attempt at a tune that's a favourite of mine... Just what I could learn of the intro and the main melody - No solos yet! But this one is bloody hard, gotta work on my pull-offs... Gotta get that crazy weepy vibrato, lol clean execution, fasterness etc etc

Anyways, it's the best I could do at the moment, It's terrible, but I hope you get a laugh out of it. I know I learned a ton trying to work this sucker out, that's for sure! hahaha Once again raising the bar on terribleness... Enjoy, guys! (Yngwie Rules!)

https://soundcloud.com/jayesskerr/stick-yjm-blackstar

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:40 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Stick Tune - Blackstar (Yngwie J. Malmsteen)
Awww, nobody likes uncle Yng? :D

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:17 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Honestly - not too much. You sound good tho.

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:50 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Black Star on a Chapman Stick, we're not worthy. (! )
Amazing , never thought I would hear that , and given as usual you probably only spent a short time on it , Yikes ! :o

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Piratebruce, Captain Strngs thanks for checking it out!

Yngwie's a funny cat, people either love him or hate him...

I am really familiar with his music, so "finding the notes" on a tune like Blackstar wasn't too hard.
Executing them without them failing too badly was difficult, however! His improvised solos are a complete nightmare though, I'm just not ready for it yet as my RH articulation, particularly on descending runs is not yet there... Yng's sheer speed and articulation is something that I am not certain can be matched on Stick with only one hand. I will try, though. Anyways I kind of just decided to put a version "out there" so that folks can have something to laugh at, it IS pretty funny... it's a work in progress to be sure! Although my "actual time spent" on this was pretty minimal, I have been messing with it on and off since I got started with the Stick...

Some things I do like about what I did - But there's always things to be worked on.

Happy Halloween, guys.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:05 am

Thats wicked man. I’ve never even heard the song before this. It’s got some kind of mischevious sneeky vibe to it hahaha :D

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:48 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Quote:
Yng's sheer speed and articulation is something that I am not certain can be matched on Stick with only one hand.

Technically it should be possible because one hand by itself doesn't have to be coordinated with your other picking hand so it's free to fly. The problem, for me anyways is that I have 50 years on stage playing rock & roll lead guitar fretting with my left hand from the other side of the neck and string layout and now the Stick asks you to transfer all that to your right hand and approach everything overhand and from the other side of the neck like Thumbs Carllile or Jeff Healey. Now 4 years into Stick I just don't have that Jeff Beck level of accuracy, strength, instinct and nuance with my right hand as a tapping and fretting hand. I think the techniques exist to go there and I'm on to them. I'm just not there. Yet. And at this point I may not have enough good years left to get there. So far so good tho.

Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:47 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Captain Strings wrote:
Quote:
Yng's sheer speed and articulation is something that I am not certain can be matched on Stick with only one hand.

Technically it should be possible because one hand by itself doesn't have to be coordinated with your other picking hand so it's free to fly. The problem, for me anyways is that I have 50 years on stage playing rock & roll lead guitar fretting with my left hand from the other side of the neck and string layout and now the Stick asks you to transfer all that to your right hand and approach everything overhand and from the other side of the neck like Thumbs Carllile or Jeff Healey. Now 4 years into Stick I just don't have that Jeff Beck level of accuracy, strength, instinct and nuance with my right hand as a tapping and fretting hand. I think the techniques exist to go there and I'm on to them. I'm just not there. Yet. And at this point I may not have enough good years left to get there. So far so good tho.

Yeah, technically I suppose it could be possible. I can relate, transferring one's ability and instinct from one hand to the other is a bit of a challenge, but I am up for it. I am still just getting used to being able to play two opposing things simultaneously. There are a lot of different things going on technique-wise, and not a lot of resources to streamline the learning process. There is so much that can be done with the instrument (Stick) it takes time to figure out, and of course there is some trial and error as one does the figuring...

Still, I feel like I took a pretty good swing at this though, despite it's roughness.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:16 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Yngwie's a funny cat, people either love him or hate him...(quote)
Not a fan.

(quote) Yng's sheer speed and articulation is something that I am not certain can be matched on Stick with only one hand. (quote)
I myself, am into the music that come's outa the Stick by respective players, not by how it's achieved. I think what can by done by two hands on one set of strings (Michael Bernier on the melody, Tony Levin on the bass, as one example of each in distinctive voices) is where I'm at.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

AnDroiD wrote:
Yngwie's a funny cat, people either love him or hate him...(quote)
Not a fan.

(quote) Yng's sheer speed and articulation is something that I am not certain can be matched on Stick with only one hand. (quote)
I myself, am into the music that come's outa the Stick by respective players, not by how it's achieved. I think what can by done by two hands on one set of strings (Michael Bernier on the melody, Tony Levin on the bass, as one example of each in distinctive voices) is where I'm at.

:D But I can already do two hand stuff on one "side". Heck, I could do that the first day I got the Stick ... been doing that sort of thing for decades on guitar and bass a la Yng, EVH, Vai, Satch, Hamm, Sheehan, Claypool, etc etc... I got the Stick because I wanted to self accompany... Y'know, play guitar AND bass the way I like to, only at the same time...

Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:18 pm