It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

"YOU WANT A SCAPEGOAT- HERE!" -by DBRO 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post "YOU WANT A SCAPEGOAT- HERE!" -by DBRO
Everyone always has an excuse that is getting in their way of being great or at least being as great as they COULD be. "I'm tired", "I don't have the time", "I need new gear "( same people that throw perfectly good golf clubs into a lake) So, you want a scapegoat- here, ready, wait for it... it's your strings!

Yes, your strings IF, they are over 6 months old IMHO. Played a gig and was just struggling, and then realized, I hadn't changed them since I was a guest instructor for Greg's Stick Camp last OCTOBER! YIKES! So a quick call to SE, and they were on their way. New strings and a proper truss adjustment, and it played like when first unboxed! like butter! All the low action, smooth bending, tone and power were all back. The next gig flowed and was so enjoyable.

I hate changing stings as much as the next Stickist, so I gave away one of my inventions here on the forum that makes changing them quick and relatively painless. Also tip of the hat to Eric Knapp for the idea of holding them down at the bridge end. I use an ordinary rubber band works fine! http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8211&hilit=dbro+changing+strings
So change those strings and be great!
hope this helps,
Dave B "DBro"

ps. here's a great video by Greg on how to do your own truss adjustments

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: "YOU WANT A SCAPEGOAT- HERE!" -by DBRO
All true. Want to be inspired? Get your instrument sounding the way it was intended to be heard. Excellent post. Relevant, meaningful - thank you Dbro.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

A fitting title, my old friend.

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:01 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

When I visited LA, I heard many stories about the correlation between instrument maintenance and the desire to play it. Usually these stories were about poorly adjusted trusses, but some of them were about string age. Thank goodness Mr. Chapman provided a simple, effective method of adjusting the truss. Unfortunately, there is only so much that can be done for making string changes easily. The extended yardstick is one more tool.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:39 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Changing strings and setting the instrument up properly is definitely part of the equation!

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:01 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

A fitting title and a fitting topic - agreed.

One of my favorite parts of getting together with other Stickist's is the opportunity to try new tunings, new amps, pedals and conceptualize new ways to make music.

I am reminded of how I came to know and love medium gauge strings through the exchange of Sticks with JRJ. I had used light gauge strings for, well, since there were only light gauge strings lolz. When I finally bought my own pair of medium gauge strings and put them on, it was like a brand new instrument.

Change is constant. Don't leave out your strings :D

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I don't like new strings.....mine are about a year old, and they have this really nice "rubbery" warm sound. In fact I would say they sound "woody" and organic. I never have been one who likes that shimmery, bright tone that some Stickists seem to be drawn too... Infact, my wife is fashioning a MUTE for me out of felt and velcro, that I will be able to slip on and off over the bridge to mute the strings. I probably change my strings once a year... When I put the new strings on, and generally slap on some Stubb's BBQ sauce and leave it for a day or two, to take off that high end shimmer on the strings.... TASTY!

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:28 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Ordered strings. didn't show up in time for studio.(strings 1 yr. old) Guitarist said "no bass". String 9 died IN THE STUDIO. Engineer had bass w/ Da'Addario strings. (whoopee) Had to play Stick bass on bass. 4 passes. Engineer is flipping out how "on" I am. Asks me to come back to track bass lines for his tunes. Guitarist said, "wait 'till you here him on the Stick"...fucking fun time in studio even tho I didn't get to play Stick. BUT I AM NEVER GOING INTO THE STUDIO AGAIN W/OUT BACKUP STRINGS! Also switching ideas from Stick to bass on the fly is a TRIP........

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

That's a funny story. That might be a good thread, funny just so Stick stories.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
Ordered strings. didn't show up in time for studio.(strings 1 yr. old) Guitarist said "no bass". String 9 died IN THE STUDIO. Engineer had bass w/ Da'Addario strings. (whoopee) Had to play Stick bass on bass. 4 passes. Engineer is flipping out how "on" I am. Asks me to come back to track bass lines for his tunes. Guitarist said, "wait 'till you here him on the Stick"...fucking fun time in studio even tho I didn't get to play Stick. BUT I AM NEVER GOING INTO THE STUDIO AGAIN W/OUT BACKUP STRINGS! Also switching ideas from Stick to bass on the fly is a TRIP........

Yeah a couple weeks ago had two nights with a theatre band - upright and stick. Double channel amp died on me at soundcheck, throwing all my connections and settings out the window....

Had the Steinberger with me just in case and had to work out the songs on the fly. Lucky that I LIVE for that type of situation! I sounded real good that night - the first gig with the Steiny (the kids call it the thunder, thunder, thunder bass) and the stage was shaking.

Cheers

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery