It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

Gained out "Rock" Stick jam 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Gained out "Rock" Stick jam
paigan0 wrote:
You do have a recognizable sound, but then, doesn't every major artist sound like themselves? You hear a new Stevie Wonder song, and you know it's him. Or better, a new Santana song with a random singer--you still know who it is. From sound choice to song construction to technique--having a "sound" to me seems sorta inevitable. A Johnny Cash song is always a Johnny cash song.

Picasso has a "look" and a "feel" and so does Pollock. I guess I'm not making a point.

I myself am rarely able to sound like anyone else at all, so I always sound like me. In fact, a Rob Martino Stick song, or a Glen Poorman Stick Song, also have a certain "sound," from literal sound to type of music and technique of playing to style. But Rob Martino playing Bach is probably not that hugely different from Glenn or Scott playing Bach. The difference is in the originals, and each artist has a "voice" that we learn to recognize over time. Even if you're just singing "Oh Canada!" it's still gonna sound like Richard Marx.

Keep 'em coming, Scott! I always enjoy your stuff.

--Steve

So I guess I'll make the point you were next to. A Jethro Tull song will always sound like a Jethro Tull song. However, a song from Stand Up doesn't sound like a song from Benefit which doesn't sound like a song from Aqualung, which doesn't sound like a song from Heavy Horses...

Having a sound is a sign of a mature/maturing artist. Maintaining differences over time is a sign that the artist is not stagnating.

It is this stagnation that I am warning against. Some artists stagnate prematurely.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:46 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

All good, guys! I appreciate that anyone took a second to listen, and comment. Thanks so much for the listen/view and taking the time to comment. All valuable insights, dudes!

Yes, we all have a sort of "sound" don't we? A kind of combination of things we like and dislike, rhythmic predisposition and all of that... One guy likes Rush, others don't. Some like Yngwie, and some don't etc etc

I agree about trying to keep moving.... no worries, I have so much to learn and perfect that in order to become "stagnant" I will have to get a lot better. Lol gotta keep doing those "chores"...

We are all moving towards some kind of musical evolution... I am enjoying the ride, this instrument is a lot of fun to play and study with! Thanks to Emmet for making them!

Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:55 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

sagehalo wrote:
paigan0 wrote:
You do have a recognizable sound, but then, doesn't every major artist sound like themselves? You hear a new Stevie Wonder song, and you know it's him. Or better, a new Santana song with a random singer--you still know who it is. From sound choice to song construction to technique--having a "sound" to me seems sorta inevitable. A Johnny Cash song is always a Johnny cash song.

Picasso has a "look" and a "feel" and so does Pollock. I guess I'm not making a point.

I myself am rarely able to sound like anyone else at all, so I always sound like me. In fact, a Rob Martino Stick song, or a Glen Poorman Stick Song, also have a certain "sound," from literal sound to type of music and technique of playing to style. But Rob Martino playing Bach is probably not that hugely different from Glenn or Scott playing Bach. The difference is in the originals, and each artist has a "voice" that we learn to recognize over time. Even if you're just singing "Oh Canada!" it's still gonna sound like Richard Marx.

Keep 'em coming, Scott! I always enjoy your stuff.

--Steve

So I guess I'll make the point you were next to. A Jethro Tull song will always sound like a Jethro Tull song. However, a song from Stand Up doesn't sound like a song from Benefit which doesn't sound like a song from Aqualung, which doesn't sound like a song from Heavy Horses...

Having a sound is a sign of a mature/maturing artist. Maintaining differences over time is a sign that the artist is not stagnating.

It is this stagnation that I am warning against. Some artists stagnate prematurely.

It's true, some folks seem to get to a point and sort of just "coast". Heck, take a band like Metallica, and listen to all of their albums in order and you hear a lot of evolution... musically and production- wise. And then there's some artists who come "out of the gate" with all of the ability and musicianship and they just seem to create great music all of the time with seemingly zero effort (Rodrigo Serrao comes to mind in regards to Stick haha). Some artists just "are" (Bon Jovi?) and don't seem to "push" much. That's okay, but for me I really like to hear musicians take chances. Miles Davis, Lenny Breau, Steve Morse, Rush, SRV, etc etc

Me, I am still learning. These riffs and tunes I make up are just the result of the things I have been working on, and believe me I am amazed that I can finally play two things at once on this instrument even as primitive as that stuff is. Haha even if it sounds a bit self- derivative at times, that's cool; another thing to work on! Once I started following my own instincts and transferring (trying to, one little bit at a time)what I have already know to "this" instrument it started coming together. Getting to a point where every practice, every time I play is a definite move forward was a huge step (and a necessary one).

Alright, time to do some practicing... let's see what I can conjure up today!

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:35 am