It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

Part 5 ( yes one more! ) -Singapore Stick. 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Part 5 ( yes one more! ) -Singapore Stick.
My important ambassadorial duties for the Chapman Stick continue is steamy Singapore. Promise I won't post much more :D
New venue last night called The Artistry Space. Same core group of Jazz guys ( & girls) there as the other place last week . So I guess one benefit of this instrument is you walk in and it goes along the lines of " oh cool , you're back, these guys haven't seen it yet." etc etc .
Being a soloist primarily ( but not for much longer at this rate ) I stuck to the two things I know I can hold together & improvise with in a band setting. All different players this week, Girl on keys, 3 guys on Bass, Drums & guitar. Off we went , I started , went round a few times as the locked in and got going . I felt like the ultimate" amateur" band leader giving each the nod for their solo :o
Did this for two pieces, each went for nearly 10 minutes I guess.
This is seriously the best fun I've ever had and changed my outlook somewhat on how I can use the Stick and expand opportunities. One thing I have really enjoyed is the real time spontaneity of playing like this. I felt conscious of not doing the same thing too many times and enjoyed thinking ahead ahead a bit with the right hand about where to go and how to mix it up.
The players were fantastic when the " house band "were on, inspiring to watch their totally fluid grasp of music, pouring out of them like a seamless torrent. An American visiting from Japan was the standout for me going crazy on a clarinet.
So thats 5 down , should get a few more in I expect. Picture of a super satisfied Bruce attached from last night, none on stage unfortunately though there probably are some since Asia is a place where everyone has a smartphone permanently attached to their hand. Saw lots of filming going on.
Over & Out. Good news is we're keeping the ship at this dockyard for a few extra days which is not that far from town, operational gods assisting my mission.........

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Part 5 ( yes one more! ) -Singapore Stick.
Inspiring story Bruce!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Excellent. You mentioned there were two tunes. What were they?
It's very satisfying to walk in, step on the stage, and create music with like minded folks. It's like a pickup basketball game in a local park. Fun indeed. Keep moving forward.

Steve A

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

As I remember it, wherever you are in the world, it's the bass player you have to pay. Even drummers will show up for a improv jam session without charging for their talents. Stick has bass built in, and it can be a very driving, supporting bass line. That puts the Stick player in demand and reciprocally, it's one of the most enjoyable roles for a Stick player - bass with chords, two-thirds of a rhythm section with a little tap percussion thrown in. Here at my administrative desk, I'm wistfully envious.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:34 am