It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

Stick - Tapdance 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Stick - Tapdance
Ahhh it's Thursday, and my week-long reign of terror on Stickist.com is almost up...

I thought I'd work out a Steve Adelson tune, as transcribed in Stickology. Not too difficult, really the toughest thing to wrap my mind around was the key signature (5 flats, and a recurring "Cflat"? lol Rude... All good, I prevailed. hahaha) I kind of added a percussive hit where I could to give the bit somewhat of a pulse...

The provided score has a bit of notation weirdness, but that's okay; good enough to mess around with. I did outline the changes during my solo bit, but I also chose to harmonize the whole thing in seconds (ths). lol. Seemed appropriate to me, and somewhat funny. Notice my 1/4 note triplets? hahaha maybe not, sorry if that solo gives you nightmares! Anyways, decent for an hour or so of messing around...

So yeah, just having some fun with a tune that I'm surprised more Stick guys don't play.

https://soundcloud.com/jayesskerr/stick-tapdance

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:00 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Stick - Tapdance
Thanks Scott, I forgot about this tune , a really good one and one I should take some time with . Cheers . B

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

piratebruce wrote:
Thanks Scott, I forgot about this tune , a really good one and one I should take some time with . Cheers . B

Cool! hahaha Someone listened to it! lol I tried my damndest to find someone else who had played a version of it, but nope, I couldn't find one. I just read the lead-sheet down, and I haven't listened to Steve's recording in quite a while, so it is what it is. lol I still think my "seconds harmonized solo" is hilarious... hahaha

Thanks for checking it out!

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:56 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks for the nod. A little info...
This was my very first composition on the Stick.
Recorded twice...1988 on cassette release, 2001 CD
Fortunate to record with some incredible players
The drummer Matt Wilson was voted number one in Downbeat a few years back. Pianist Dennis Moorman just kills on this track.
The CD was released as scheduled 9/13/01
Needless to say...no coverage. Later picked up and re-released on the Jazzheads label.
Transcription in Stickology was by Chris Crain

Steve A

Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Thanks for the nod. A little info...
This was my very first composition on the Stick.
Recorded twice...1988 on cassette release, 2001 CD
Fortunate to record with some incredible players
The drummer Matt Wilson was voted number one in Downbeat a few years back. Pianist Dennis Moorman just kills on this track.
The CD was released as scheduled 9/13/01
Needless to say...no coverage. Later picked up and re-released on the Jazzheads label.
Transcription in Stickology was by Chris Crain

Steve A

It's a bummer you couldn't get more traction, Sorry to hear that. It was a fun tune to try to put together, even if my rendition is a bit primitive. That's why I posted all these tunes this week... cause it's fun doing music...

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:07 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

With all of the people who own the Stickology book, surely someone else must have recorded a version of the piece? Please God, don't let this be the only cover hahaha

Again, my only reason for recording and sharing this was as a part of my "tune a day" thing I was doing as a kind of self-test. Y'know, "it's the end of the practice day, let's hit record" kind of a thing. Could have (and probably should have) been played better, but again I am just tickled pink that I can play anything with this amazing instrument...

Steve and I will disagree about a couple of things, but I think we can both agree that there's a thing or two to be learned from tackling this tune even on a basic level. I just "read it down", and "made up a solo", but it was a ton of fun and sounds quite different from standard Stick fare (tenths backing/Stick Arpeggio backing) I think. In my mind, it's actually an "easy win" tune that I wished I had tried earlier on...

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:12 am