It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am

Stick - Enter Sandman (Crash and burn) 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Stick - Enter Sandman (Crash and burn)
lol OK, I did this one a while back, and like me or hate me you HAVE to listen to this, it's damned hilarious. I tried to do the solo (Ran out of notes) and basically crapped the bed on the whole thing. Paigan0 and Kris were pretty nice about it when I had them listen to it, but I know that they were laughing their butts off...

I could probably do a much better (yet still quite shitty) job on this tune now, but meh... I'm thinking "Stick" a fork in it, it's done. It will never bother anyone ever again.

heh it's funny.

https://soundcloud.com/jayesskerr/stick-enter-sandman-dismal-failure

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:43 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Stick - Enter Sandman (Crash and burn)
Ya know....it wasn't as terrible as you made it out to be. Can you make another one that actually does suck?

Yeah...you ran out of notes on the solo part, but it's a Kirk Hammett solo...that's bound to happen.

On the up side, left hand and right hand independence was nice....so over all, not as bad as you advertised.

TP

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:25 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lol still pretty bad. It was funny, so I chose to share it. Sometimes in an arrangement, we make bad decisions. :D I didn't consider the range of the tune, there were things I did that should have been simplified somewhat, but I didn't really realize it until after I recorded it. I mean, I knew stuff was going sideways, but haha not until I listened back did I realize the full extent of the nastiness haha

Live and learn, funny as hell. Another stepping stone in my development!

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:18 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Yeah, I thought this was going to be terrible by the hype, but it wasn't. Dynamically, some of the builds were just not there, but it generally had the right idea and didn't fall apart.

I was thinking again on your mission to learn songs instead of trudging through to perfect just one. I think it has merit. Perhaps even better would be to perfect arrangements within reasonable reach (simpler for the more beginner and intermediate for the more intermediate). Reaching back to learning piano 35 (ouch!) years ago, beginning piano music is as simple as can be. Unfortunately for us adults, as listeners and performers we do not grade on a curve. This critical listening can prevent advancement. Unless this instrument is our job, we cannot devote 6+ hours / day to practice it, so we need to set reasonable goals and methods for advancement.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:32 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm thinking that something like Fade to Black might be a better Stick fit.

Red Railboard Classic

Host of Beyond the Playlist with JHammondC

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:10 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Not so crashy or burny. This arrangement works pretty well. And was a good exercise to try and also provoke some conversation about doing Metallica and the like on the Stick.
JHammondC wrote:
I'm thinking that something like Fade to Black might be a better Stick fit.
That sound like a good idea. Fade to Black would be cool. :twisted: :evil:

I just saw a version of One played by 3 people on one 8-string guitar all at the same time, and thought that it would probably be killer for someone to adapt for Stick. You could do at least two of the lines, and I'm sure Bob could squeeze in all three (while making a cure for cancer with his feet, or at least playing a Bach sonata on a toe-harp, which does not exist yet, but then no one has told Bob that yet).

Enter Sandman seemed to work well on the Stick. I'd love to hear a Dave Brosky version, and a Tilden version, and then have Heartstrings tear it up and arpeggiate it. And then hear the Emmett version. Speaking of, an album of a bunch of different Stick players all covering the same song with different interpretations sounds pretty cool, although it would have to be a different song than a Metallica one. ("Brown-Eyed Girl"? Just kidding! Maybe a Beatles tune...).

Thanks for sharing your explorations, Scott! Keep rocking it out!

And not to hijack Sandman, but here was the version of One I referenced.
Metallica's "One" Played on One Guitar
Rob Scallon

Good job, Scott!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lol all good, I think that it's important to recognize that it's not the instrument or the music's fault that the arranger/performer bombed. I truly believe that the Stick can play any style of music, not just new age, classical, jazz, prog or the ever-popular muzak. To do a better rendition of that particular tune probably just requires a bit of imagination, and some chops that I just don't have yet. Fade to Black would be fun, as would lots of other tunes. I like to avoid stuff that can easily use a stock 10ths type backing or Stick arpeggio type backing, though.

haha admittedly, I annihilated that tune. No two ways around it, I painted myself into a corner ended up with something less than totally appealing. I shared it because it was funny! I attempted the tune, because I like it, and it's actually a lot of fun to play.

I did learn tons from taking a stab at it, and even though I "failed" at creating something amazing, it's funny as hell and the mistakes I made have helped me with other arrangements...

Also, I like talking about/reading about music discussions so I like to try to provoke that hehe

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:40 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

sagehalo wrote:
I was thinking again on your mission to learn songs instead of trudging through to perfect just one. I think it has merit. Perhaps even better would be to perfect arrangements within reasonable reach (simpler for the more beginner and intermediate for the more intermediate). Reaching back to learning piano 35 (ouch!) years ago, beginning piano music is as simple as can be. Unfortunately for us adults, as listeners and performers we do not grade on a curve. This critical listening can prevent advancement. Unless this instrument is our job, we cannot devote 6+ hours / day to practice it, so we need to set reasonable goals and methods for advancement.

Bingo.

I think someone is starting to understand me.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 am