Multiple Donor

Post Re: Kiss From A Rose
Nice.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mon May 15, 2017 2:21 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I have to say, this sounds really great. It was a lot of fun to watch and listen to, keep 'em coming Rob! Bumping this, 'cause it's awesome... (I play this one too, I am a big Seal fan!)

I personally had no issues whatsoever with this piece of music. I think it stands up "as-is"...

Mon May 15, 2017 5:25 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I am very honoured to be part of this community. Thank you everyone for your support and I am happy you all liked this. Its fun trying out things and coming up with an arrangement. This has evolved over the past months to the form its in right now. As I learn the chords things just seem to fall into place. Whether they are good or bad remains to be seen. Hopefully i will get to try and perform this at a stick event sometime and not mess it up. Very grateful for Steve Adelsons book suggestion of the Inner Game of Music. I try to incorporate the book concepts in the performance. When practicing at home things always go better . When I try to commit a performance to video things change. My self 2 (or 1) get in the way Grrrrr. Someday Ill get better.

Again a huge thank you to everyone. And especially Emmett for making this instrument possible. I love playing and practicing. Its my therapy and escape.

Rob

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Mon May 15, 2017 5:52 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

sagehalo wrote:
I like your tone, and I can see by your "join date" you haven't had a lot of time with the instrument. I think this would be a fun one to keep working on. My suggestion is to consider how to use chord rhythm in the LH to keep the piece moving. When the melody and the chords drop at the same time, the piece loses momentum. The original uses drums and chords to prevent this. Getting this down is the first step to independence. I'm not trying to be a downer, because I see a lot of potential here. Otherwise, I wouldn't say anything. You can also try to see if there are any times you want to find harmony within the RH. You may not, but it is worth checking if some notes deserve a lower 3rd or 5th or such.

Sorry bro...
The execution is brilliant......the spaces left between are killer ......and you are out of your league telling Rob Gellner how to tackle this tune.........

Until you can pull this tune off......keep quiet.

Last edited by kevin-c on Tue May 16, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 15, 2017 7:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Daniel, I joined this forum 5yrs ago.
Right away I noticed you were a critical forum poster so I assumed you knew what you were talking about.
Jump ahead 6 years later "...

I don't want to shit on your progress.....but you have absolutely NO RIGHT to advise anyone how to play the Stick......cause dude........you got a long fucking long way to go....
We met at the bel air Stick symposium......you're a good guy......but don't try and give a
Dude advice when he's leaps and bounds ahead of you...

Cheers,
Jsyk

Mon May 15, 2017 8:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I am positive I have seen this post before and listened to the performance. I can't imagine why I didn't express gratitude for the posting and encouragement for the great job you have done here. I know so few songs by other artists on the Stick. Mainly because when I strap my Stick on and sit down to play, my brain wants to explore and express what is in my head rather than internalize what someone else has already come up with. But videos like this, and videos by other members here, always inspire me to make time and discipline my self to learn songs written by other performers. Not just for the purpose of having a catalog to draw from that audiences will enjoy, but also for the purpose of learning my instrument and to have better understanding of composition/arrangement.

I hate to be cliché by saying "Nice job", but you did a nice job here!

Thanks again for sharing,

Mike

Tue May 16, 2017 6:21 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I enjoyed this very much. I've always liked this song, and I think you really did it justice, while making it your own.

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Tue May 16, 2017 7:07 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

mike kemp wrote:
I am positive I have seen this post before and listened to the performance. I can't imagine why I didn't express gratitude for the posting and encouragement for the great job you have done here. I know so few songs by other artists on the Stick. Mainly because when I strap my Stick on and sit down to play, my brain wants to explore and express what is in my head rather than internalize what someone else has already come up with. But videos like this, and videos by other members here, always inspire me to make time and discipline my self to learn songs written by other performers. Not just for the purpose of having a catalog to draw from that audiences will enjoy, but also for the purpose of learning my instrument and to have better understanding of composition/arrangement.

I hate to be cliché by saying "Nice job", but you did a nice job here!

Thanks again for sharing,

Mike

Rob did post an early version of this tune a few months ago, it sounded really good then also, I thought. Can't remember the thread exactly, but I have to say that I really appreciate the folks brace enough to share their "in progress" works like Rob did. It's really inspiring to watch and hear what people create. Covers, originals, ideas...

Even if a tune or concept/idea isn't to one's taste I think we should be at least respectful of the energy that said person has or is willing to put in.

Tue May 16, 2017 8:12 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Thank you army doc and mike .( and everyone) I am happy you both liked what I had done. I always try to learn a tune and internalize it and then try to make it my own. (imitate, assimilate, innovate) I try to make any arrangement interesting (be it a jazz combo , big band piece I do, or a stick piece) I try not to repeat myself in a new arrangement . I dont want to keep doing the same thing for each tune. I love this instrument because it is so open ended. I need to study other peoples technique. Looking forward to learning from Greg and Bob this summer and everyone else on this forum.

Scott I only shared a private take of my first attempt at a live open mic a few months ago with you. I still have the video but will never post that one. The thread may have been about performance issues relating to my train wreck. This version was a little better. lol

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Tue May 16, 2017 8:31 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jzzb8ovn wrote:
Thank you army doc and mike .( and everyone) I am happy you both liked what I had done. I always try to learn a tune and internalize it and then try to make it my own. (imitate, assimilate, innovate) I try to make any arrangement interesting (be it a jazz combo , big band piece I do, or a stick piece) I try not to repeat myself in a new arrangement . I dont want to keep doing the same thing for each tune. I love this instrument because it is so open ended. I need to study other peoples technique. Looking forward to learning from Greg and Bob this summer and everyone else on this forum.

Scott I only shared a private take of my first attempt at a live open mic a few months ago with you. I still have the video but will never post that one. The thread may have been about performance issues relating to my train wreck. This version was a little better. lol

Right! That's exactly it, Rob! Y'know, that early vid was pretty darned good, man. This one is lots better, but I think they were both awesome. Can't wait to see what you do next, man!

Tue May 16, 2017 9:30 pm