It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

Clips from Performance in Bowmanville 

Post Clips from Performance in Bowmanville
Hello Again,
Here is a link to a video of my duo's performance in Bowmanville Ontario. I made 5 short promo clips for our show this weekend in North Bay. This is clip 4 (I like the images in it), the piece is over 17 minutes. I did a couple more new pedalboard vids too - I'll post a link in equipment.

[youtube2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx0v6SHni4c&t=10s[/youtube2]
(edited here is the link. Didn't work the first time?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx0v6SHni4c

The show turned out well, people were engaged through the whole show which was a little over an hour.
I will put up some of the pieces in full eventually. I met with an amazing artist this week who has committed to doing one of the videos this weekend for a soundscape we had not put video to yet. I am really excited about this - he is one of my all time favourite artists named Dave Carlin who lives in North Bay. He has been working with video lately turning his art/paintings into video art. Reminds me of videos that may play on a Pink Floyd concert screen but more intense :)
Gave him a recording that sketches it out and he will have his video for us to watch and rehearse too by Friday morning and perform it Saturday night! Can't wait!
More to come...
Jason

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:47 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Clips from Performance in Bowmanville
This is pretty cool. I loved hearing the story and watching the alternating images of the creation space and the pastoral images. Well done.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Cool. I totally dig Stick and Art. Video. Spoken Word. Bunnies and Butter.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Interesting concept. I thought of doing poetry reading while playing chapman stick. This inspires me to try it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:00 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hi Jay.

Absolutely brilliant! Colour of mind and of sound, mindfulness even. :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

ReyStick wrote:
Interesting concept. I thought of doing poetry reading while playing chapman stick. This inspires me to try it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks - I have been doing this on and off for years. One of my favourite was a friend wrote a story and I had her read it to a light stick loop while I swelled notes in for a gentle melody line. People really liked it.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:58 pm

Stickrad wrote:
Hi Jay.

Absolutely brilliant! Colour of mind and of sound, mindfulness even. :lol:

Thank You - I have been doing live meditations for the past 1.5 years. I will play simple, light pieces that sit just below the persons voice. Also long drones with swelling notes and tones.
Some organic sounding tones like choir patches from the GR-55 mixed with pan flutes or an oboe patch... even some synthetic tones work well. Just be careful with certain patches that are more prone to false triggers etc... that can spoil the relaxing mood :)
We have gotten really good response from the meditators after our live sessions. Also my friend who reads the written commentaries has an amazingly soft voice. Challenging at first to have her mic loud enough (without feedback) and me still at the right level - but sorted it out just before our first live session thankfully.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:09 pm

earthgene wrote:
This is pretty cool. I loved hearing the story and watching the alternating images of the creation space and the pastoral images. Well done.

Thank You :) I have been wanting to work with story and images for years. There is something special about being at a performance with multiple layers coming at you at once. Video effects and editing are becoming easier and within reach of anyone with a computer. Just took a workshop last week called extreme video editing! Learned so much in 3 hours... planning some day trips just to get footage to use. So many ideas!

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:16 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Back in '85 I was playing Stick with a poet at The Cultured Pearl Cafe in Baltimore. The poet was the manager of the bar and artist coordinator, bringing in poets, music, art openings in the Cafe. I usually did washes of sound, volume pedal, Deluxe Memory Man. We got along so well I was offered the empty kitchen space to do Mexican food. Everyone that worked there was an artist, poet, or musician. We became so popular for the food and margaritas and Mexican beer that we filled every available space with tables and chairs...and pushed the poets out! But we still had art openings...local artists hung their stuff and we never got bored with the decor...

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery