It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 am

Poseidon's Purpling 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Poseidon's Purpling
To be ONE HUNDRED AND TEN PERCENT HONEST THOUGH....... A lot of me really just wants to see an NS tuned ridiculously low through an Axe FX ii... Use this same pattern and make it thall, would sound so insanely good...

Rosewood 10 String Stick #6092

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:39 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ToxiNN wrote:
So glad I woke up on the holy morning of April the 20th to log onto The Stickist and watch this.

[Bows head for a moment of silence in honor of 4/20 Day. Bubbling sounds are heard, as if unaware that passive tense is to be avoided in writing. Exhales.... :mrgreen: ]

ToxiNN wrote:
This visuals are beyond excellent, not to mention of course I'm extremely jealous of your distorted tone.

JVD! I will enthusiastically agree with your assessment of the visuals --I love the fractals, even when they're mine! Well, probably especially since they're mine, because on no other form of art am I so fearlessly "I don't give a fuck if you like this--this stuff is awesome!" Strictly myself here I'm pandering to and if you also dig it, that makes my day but I'm addicted to it so I'd keep doing it anyway. But thanks so much for enjoying them, too, and for letting me know! :o

Now as to the tone, man, that makes my whole month! (To be fair, it started as a shitty month that got much, much better! But this tops it!) I'm a keyboard player, for some 30 years or more, and then discovered Sticks about a year and a half ago. Yeah, I have a geetar and pluck at it every now and then when I need some distortion, but I love the sound of a good ready-to-explode lead guitar. But getting a good distorted sound out of the Sticks has been a lot of fun--and very new--to me. But like with the fractals, I'm just trying to hit that spot in me that I like, and other people have different tastes. I've heard a bunch of good distorted lead and rythm Stick sounds with a variety of pickups. But this is real close to the "brown sound" I hear in my head.

I prefer the ACTV2 on my 10-string Rosewood for a "hot" signal for particularly lead, and then my Railboard Railblock passive for its beefy bass tone. And the NS/Stick active pickups are yet another thing altogether that honestly, I love, and have yet begun to explore.

This tune was written and recorded with the lead on the Rosewood. Only the bass line was done on the NS (well, I have two more tracks with the middle and high registers on NS). So the Chapman Stick, ACTV2, can rock some shit out. I hear the Stickup can also. Shoot, all the pickups can do all the things, but they each have their "colors" and sounds. I've only seen 3 flavors, plus whatever the other Steves in Ann Arbor are rocking (MichNS? Whatcha got?)
ToxiNN wrote:
The more and more I've listened to music played on the NS Stick, the more fascinated I've become by it, particularly in its use in the eight string guitar role in metal. This definitely among other things inspires me to buy an NS in the future.
I find it is very much a Stick and an 8-string guitar combined. It is truly a floorwax and a dessert topping. And it has gravitated to metal and rock (and EDM combos of those) very well, from what I've seen from Dr. Froth and yourself, and GEPH and I'm sorry, a whole bunch of Stick Rockers, Metalheads, and kickass musicians here (too many to name but not enough to not appreciate all of you!)

ToxiNN wrote:
To be ONE HUNDRED AND TEN PERCENT HONEST THOUGH....... A lot of me really just wants to see an NS tuned ridiculously low through an Axe FX ii... Use this same pattern and make it thall, would sound so insanely good...
ToxiNN, see my Sink's Family Rule: "Those who Come up with the Clever Idea Must Implement It." Now you HAVE to get, borrow, or steal an NS and try it out. And an Axe FX ii...

Cheers, sir, and bless you on this High Holy Day. :mrgreen: "Jealous of your tone"? Ha! Made the whole month! 8-) :ugeek:

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Last edited by paigan0 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

***************Hey, page 3 bump!

Poseidon's Purpling--Chapman Stick and NS/Stick--3D Fractals
Quote:
"The Purpling," a jam with 10-string Chapman Stick and 8-string NS/Stick; and Poseidon's Temple, a fractal animation video done with Mandelbulber. Music and video by Stephen Sink/Paigan Productions.

https://youtu.be/OLlFMm2vQM0

https://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1/the-purpling-perc

Cheers! Down in Fractal Rock!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery