It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:15 am

Stickless 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Stickless
piratebruce said:
Quote:
Post Re: And then back to square one :)
Well thats inspiring Rodrigo, and I need it, at the airport ( Stickless this time ) for a quick 5 day mission after only being home 3 days.

Ah, Sticklessness! I went to a family reunion in Tennessee back in September, opting not to take my Stick on the flight - along with family and luggage, it was too much to deal with. But I had been practicing a lot before that time, and I found that my brain kept feeding me melodic ideas, riffs, bass lines, that seemed really cool! I sang them into my phone. When I came home and resumed my Stick practicing, those ideas held up.

Another benefit - I finally located a free pdf of The Schillinger System of Musical Composition and loaded that to my phone. That's a rest-of-my-life project...

R

Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:45 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Stickless
Actually I really think sometimes letting your instrument rest for a couple of days is not a bad thing... the brain will continue to work on it but without the physical limitations... Usually that leads to great improvement. Anyway, safe travels captain!

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:26 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I get an avalanche of musical ideas when I'm at work...usually prepping about 100 lbs. of raw chicken. Kinda hard to put the phone in "record" mode

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

This might not be the best category--Showcase--for this Stickless discussion, methinks. But I don't mind chiming in, and maybe Manny can slide it over to another category.

AnDroiD wrote:
I get an avalanche of musical ideas when I'm at work...usually prepping about 100 lbs. of raw chicken. Kinda hard to put the phone in "record" mode
13 years of my life in the restaurant industry (and more than that now since I've been out of the industry!). Solidarity, brother!

And I somehow became immunized to salmonella by wading in it by the 100's of pounds and hacking and slicing away raw poultry like Samurai Jack working his way through armies of bug robots. Although I've lost most of my knife-and-spatula-handling callouses, I still have most of my fingertip callouses (from stringed instruments, and from grabbing hot skillets with my bare hands!) and can still pick up hot plates out of the microwave with my fingers. And can still juggle spatulas, to the great delight of my kids when working the backyard grill, and anyone at the work picnic who wants to see a Pubs Supervisor flip spatulas and grill burgers.

I learned almost everything I know about rock music from the restaurant industry, from having classic rock and metal piped into the kitchen at all times, to working with a bunch of other musicians and rocking it out with them and their friends and their friends. All connected by restaurant jobs.
And often, school.

Oh, I used to open up new Applebee's Restaurants for Applebee's International based out of Kansas City, by the way. Go in to a new Applebee's in Pow-Dunk Kansas, spent the first week training the back of the house crew, from grill, to flattop, to fryers, to prep, to "expediting" or coordinating back-of-the-house orders with front-of-the-house wait-staff and runners. Then spent the next week helping for the Grand Opening, when literally the entire county comes out to check out the new Applebee's. Busiest time usually in the history of the store is the 1st week, when the kitchen and wait staff are their greenest. So Applebee's International steps in and sends a crew to train and get them through the first week. Good times.

Oh, what a tangent--sorry! To being Stickless, I used to travel all the time for my job, but now that I'm a Supervisor, I get to send out everyone else and stay home (usually). So I've not had to endure too many Stickless nights. I can also travel with just one Stick and an IRIG, although I've not actually had to do that yet. Best of luck!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Since we took this out deep into left field, Steve, (please, no more baseball references), I went to school for music, and have been cooking ever since. A girlfriend of a keyboard friend of mine once asked how cooking and playing music are related, to which I responded, "Well, when I create a recipe, I improvise. And when I play music, I COOK."

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Joseph was a very well educated man.
I've downloaded several of his books from http://www.scribd.com
https://www.scribd.com/document/325676376/Schillinger-System-of-Musical-Composition-Book-I

If you like stepping into the deep end of music, try these references.
http://cochranemusic.com/node/106
http://www.calvin.edu/academic/music/pdf/Figuring%20Out%20Melody.pdf
rodan07 wrote:
I finally located a free pdf of The Schillinger System of Musical Composition and loaded that to my phone. That's a rest-of-my-life project...
R

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:33 pm