It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:58 am

Reading down the verse of "Come As You Are" 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Reading down the verse of "Come As You Are"
:D This is after a few passes; there were a couple of problem spots, but I have it worked out now. Those anticipations are deadly, plus the bassline is contrary positionally and rhythmically to what is going on. I learned a lot from working this out by reading it down earlier this week; And it didn't take too long. Yeah I still suck.

But I won't suck forever...

Anyways, thought I'd share. Last post for a while I think, though...

And what the heck, here's some noodling around that I posted in the Sight-reading poll. It sucks too, I'll come back after I have honed my craft I think... Should be an interesting comparison.

Awright, peace, dudes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:33 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Reading down the verse of "Come As You Are"
Hey Scott , you are a very diligent " honer of the craft " I'd say ! :D :D

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Well thanks, Bruce! If nothing else I practice a lot. Here's the sort of thing I am doing;

Up at 5:00AM

This morning, for a warm up I read down Giant Steps, Lady Madonna, and Hit Me With your best shot. Melody with Stick Arpeggio style Muzak arrangement. They are starting to sound like the tunes when I go over them, not nearly as slow as they once were... Plus the timeframes required to learn a simple tune have been cut by about 2/3rds. That makes me very, very happy...

I then went up and down each string; Major 7th arpeggios in cycle of 4ths all 12 keys )CEGB, FACE, BbDFA EbGBb, AbCEbG, DbFAbC, GBbDbF, BD#F#A#, EG#BD#, AC#EG#, DF#AC#, GBDF#)

Then, I went over each fingering "in position" for my maj 7th arps; again, all 12 keys.
Then, I went over my scale position work; all 12 keys in cycle of 4ths, major, harmonic minor, melodic minor, and pentatonic (Min7add11 or Maj6add9 Arpeggios)

Then a quick dose of relative pitch, practiced some rhythms, and solfeged a few melodies.
Then some guitar work; Gotta keep those guitar chops up; Read down some tricky Mike Stern stuff, and then worked out a good chunk of a Gambale Solo. Quickly ran down 4 new tunes for the weekend. Messed with Pentatonics in rhythmic sequences of 5, and groupings of 5 as straight 16ths... Maintenance complete.

Now I am going to go over my self induced "reading studies" thing, and deal with anticipations, tied notes over the barline, 1/4 note triplets, big interval skips, things like that. Then, I need to go over to friend's house and play some guitar in his studio for a demo he's tracking. Nothing too fancy, but I get to play some cool changes in a quasi R&B setting. I might even get paid! :D

Then I will polish up "Come as You are", and perhaps work out another tune for the Stick.

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:56 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Well thanks, Bruce! If nothing else I practice a lot. Here's the sort of thing I am doing;

Up at 5:00AM

This morning, for a warm up I read down Giant Steps, Lady Madonna, and Hit Me With your best shot. Melody with Stick Arpeggio style Muzak arrangement. They are starting to sound like the tunes when I go over them, not nearly as slow as they once were... Plus the timeframes required to learn a simple tune have been cut by about 2/3rds. That makes me very, very happy...

I then went up and down each string; Major 7th arpeggios in cycle of 4ths all 12 keys )CEGB, FACE, BbDFA EbGBb, AbCEbG, DbFAbC, GBbDbF, BD#F#A#, EG#BD#, AC#EG#, DF#AC#, GBDF#)

Then, I went over each fingering "in position" for my maj 7th arps; again, all 12 keys.
Then, I went over my scale position work; all 12 keys in cycle of 4ths, major, harmonic minor, melodic minor, and pentatonic (Min7add11 or Maj6add9 Arpeggios)

Then a quick dose of relative pitch, practiced some rhythms, and solfeged a few melodies.
Then some guitar work; Gotta keep those guitar chops up; Read down some tricky Mike Stern stuff, and then worked out a good chunk of a Gambale Solo. Quickly ran down 4 new tunes for the weekend. Messed with Pentatonics in rhythmic sequences of 5, and groupings of 5 as straight 16ths... Maintenance complete.

Now I am going to go over my self induced "reading studies" thing, and deal with anticipations, tied notes over the barline, 1/4 note triplets, big interval skips, things like that. Then, I need to go over to friend's house and play some guitar in his studio for a demo he's tracking. Nothing too fancy, but I get to play some cool changes in a quasi R&B setting. I might even get paid! :D

Then I will polish up "Come as You are", and perhaps work out another tune for the Stick.
Scott, you're living the Stick life, and the hardest working man in Stick business. I'm always overcome with a mix of shame at my own poor practice habits, and pride that I have learned what little I have in spite of those same poor practice habits. And stealing from you fine folk is about 47.4% of the battle!

Thanks for the score to Come As You Are as arranged (and performed!) by Scott Kerr. I intend to work some on it this weekend. By the way, were you planning on sharing your transcription? You put a lot of work into it, and some of us music readers (I use "us" loosely as I'm barely monophonic literate on a good day!) can use it and benefit where our ears fail us. And some would rather listen and play. Ten people, ten colors, as the Japanese say. (Ju nin, to iro 十人十色 Literally, 10 people, 10 colors.) Or as Sink's Law #34 says: "We all have our rocks in the stream coming down from Stick Mountain."

Reading Kanji is a skill I possess about as much as reading music: enough to be dangerous. And I'd work on both more if I weren't so lazy. But let's not open any more "reading Stick" can of worms!

But so much to do this weekend. I hope to get that bassline at least rocked out on the NS. And get caught up on Agents of Shield. I'm 2 episodes back and I'm told that the last episode was the best of all time. Speaking of that, you should be watching Legion, you mutant-crazed genius, you.

Off topics and rocking it out As You Are,

PhanBoi Stee-bu

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Come as you are, a bit better than it was before. Burned into the 'ole memory... This was a tough one, there's some whacky stuff going on... And yes, there's still an error or two, but nobody really watches these so it's all good...

Score included below...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:04 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

WOW!!! 6 thumbs up! (I'm all thumbs...)

I dare say that your version is better than our Russian friend's, or at least pleasingly different. Sorry to just post his song on my question about his tunings right when you posted your update. We really ought to coordinate our Stickist posts, since we're most likely the only ones who usually comment.

Thanks for the score, too!

Shoot, forgot all important Agents of Shield update: LMDs all over the freakin' place! This was perhaps the very best episode of SHIELD since the Capt. America movie tie-in and the "Ward is Evil Hydra" reveal. Just phenomenal episode, I thought.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Niiice! I liked it! A lot!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:23 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Wow i wish i had some better practise habits. You sound great keep stickin it to it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:18 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Very nice, Scott. I don't know if that is something you are intending to add to your repertoire, but I think it would go over well in many situations. To my mind the bass line needs to be smoothed out a bit, but only if you want it for a keeper and not an exercise.

have you heard this version?

Smoooooooooothe.

Really like it though, bro.

Mike

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Thanks for checking it out! I appreciate anyone that will take the time to listen/watch and comment. Means a lot to me.

It's a work in progress and yes, there's a few clams in there. Lots of work to be done, without a doubt! Also, yes, it's one of many tunes that I have in my repertoire that I can hack through; I'm just not very good at the Chapman Stick yet, so they are all kind of shaky like this! :D Getting there, though.

I am actually a lot better at reading this tune down off the chart, so going by memory was a bit of a challenge, still there's a few really positive take-aways... The big one being the timeframe in which it took to learn this, and get it to this point; 8 hours and 17 minutes total. And, I'd like to say that this tune was actually quite a bit beyond me, so it is with absolute glee that I tackled this, got it done, and came out relatively unscathed.

Yeah, I know it's not a competition (or a race), but those timeframes are important 'cause I don't have time to waste... Del Mar, for instance took 9 hours JUST to get to a point of being able to remember it, then another 9 or so hours to get it semi presentable, and still months later, still lots of unpredictable mistakes. Pretty much every other tune I tried was like that. Scarborough Fair, Greensleeves, All Of Me, Autumn Leaves, etc. I went through a lot of tunes documenting my learning/practice times and they were pretty consistent.

Not the music's fault, it was totally my approach to blame; got things in order now, though. I know the right way for me to approach this instrument. Every day is a step forward. Always lots to work on, but I have to say, this instrument is a LOT more fun lately.

Anyways, thanks fellas...

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:14 pm