It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

Attempting to slap on the Stick 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Attempting to slap on the Stick
Hi guys. Here is a peek at some thing I have been working on since my "Possible to make the Stick sound more like a bass" topic. Honestly, this isn't the funkiest part to try to adapt to slap technique, but it works. At least for a while. I kind of got sloppier toward the end. No effects or fancy EQ-ing here, just the Stick direct through my small PA. The sound is an open air recording so there is a little atmospheric hiss going on. Sorry about that if it is annoying to anyone. I didn't have my usual equipment here today.

Hope someone finds it interesting. With more work, I think it could really sound authentic as far as slapping goes. Next time I will try something a little easier to dance to :o .

Mike

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Attempting to slap on the Stick
Good demo Mike. As discussed yesterday, this sounds very bass authentic. Great technical discovery and execution.

Steve A

Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Mike, just got round to watching, thanks, very funky. I should have a go at this, you have it well developed, just trying to imagine how to drop a few right hand chords or stabs in from time to time and that would be really motoring along. Cheers :D

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Mike, I also just got to watch this. As was said here and at the How to Sound Like a Bass Player thread, I think you've got it! I got a lot out of your video and your technique demonstration. That's so awesome. I'll be trying hard to steal some of the funk you're bringing here. Great stuff, and please keep sharing. It's great to see where the Stick can be taken--which is pretty damn far! :ugeek:

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Thanks guys. I am glad some folks found it interesting and or helpful. When thinking of this as a demonstration, I guess I should have had the camera focus more on my hands. I was just so excited about getting the technique to a level that I was willing to share I through it together without thinking about anyone actually interested in what my hands were doing.

The hardest part about this is that the strings are much closer together than a bass. And if your thumb is stubby, like mine, there is a good chance you will get a lot of noise from unintended string soundings. Especially at first. That is why, at times, you will see me striking the lower string with my index or middle finger tip instead.

It might seem like a headache trying to decide, on the fly, which finger or thumb tip to use, but after a little limbering up and practice it is very like deciding when to use SA's "kerchunk". You just end up throwing it in at random or, better, when ever YOU think it is needed or convenient. The other part of the 1-2 slap sound(I guess the sound that lines up with the snare drum, rather than the bass drum) is accomplished by reaching the middle and/or index finger slightly under your palm. So your hand is making the shape of Spider-Man about to unleash his webbing rather than making the "hang loose" sign of the late sixties/early seventies surfer crowd. (East coast and mid-western Stickists will be familiar with Spider-Man since he operates more in those regions, west coast Stickists with surfing--Shame on you if you are unfamiliar with who SA is!)

Mike

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

IMO!The Chapman Stick is a very unique instrument,thats why I choose it.When a person does their part with the weaponry that it can achieve it becomes lethal and intimidating to the run of the mill in the box rock band.I.M.O.It would be putting years of deep exploration and accomplishments (practice)to naught to try to fit in with a drummer 3 guitars us 4 and no more. I my self refuse to succumb. I kind of like showing up with The Super Stick@ and being looked at like I have I have 3 heads. Draw other musicians to you and be the pioneer in this unique instrument.I.M.O.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Great playing Mike. It's like you've got a another layer there of slapping as semi-ghosted or mute slapping, a little more subtle, as well as the bolder slap sounds. Keep it going, we're waiting for more.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery