Multiple Donor

Post Re: New Video: Live Show, Full Set - Flint Blade
Great!!!!!! Thank you for the music.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I do appreciate FB's review of my review and I've got to say he connected (in other words, it was "good"). I was performing too, inspired by his live set.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:52 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I enjoyed parts of this music.
I sure miss Honey Dew on clarinet.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:28 am
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again, Emmett. I hope to see you performing in person this summer when I make it out to the west coast!

WerkSpace wrote:
I enjoyed parts of this music.
I sure miss Honey Dew on clarinet.

Thanks Werk -- can't expect everyone to like everything, after all! I'm rather selective myself towards listening material.

A few words on Honeydew the clarinetist, since I've never opened up to the Stick community about it:

Clarinet is a wonderful complement to the Stick. Honeydew played wonderfully.
During the course of our working together, she also owned and operated a full time business of her own (vegan food truck).
Ultimately, she did not have enough time and energy to split between a food truck and a music career -- two jobs which demand full attention for success.

After four+ years, our romance came to an explosive and traumatic end.

At that point, I made this decision for myself:
Henceforth I will collaborate only with musicians who demand a higher level of musicianship from me -- ones who are as dedicated to their craft as I to mine. Full-timers & lifers. No more hobbyists, no one for whom I have to slow down.

That's what taking music seriously means to me.

One day I would love to find a professional clarinetist I can vibe with, perhaps one with jazz leanings and improvisatory tendencies.

'Til then, I continue to forge my solo path and connect with like minded individuals. I look forward to sharing some work with an excellent drummer I've recently connected with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lbeUKSIiBc

Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:50 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Engaging music, Flint. Particularly liked your take on Bob Marley. And the way you let those notes from either side of the Stick create interesting and perhaps accidental harmonies. The music I hear from you nearly always makes me feel happiness inside.
flint wrote:
Henceforth I will collaborate only with musicians who demand a higher level of musicianship from me -- ones who are as dedicated to their craft as I to mine. Full-timers & lifers. No more hobbyists, no one for whom I have to slow down.

That's what taking music seriously means to me.

I am not an old man, by any stretch, but this quote made me think on some decisions I have made resulting from my past experiences. I admire your seriousness(or serioussity?) in regards to your craft. Still, I can't help but think that when we impose these kinds of conditions on the world (or people) without, we inevitably are the ones who struggle against those restrictions.

There is lots of music to make and plenty of situations to make it in. And I look forward with eager anticipation to what you have for us next.

Mike

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Flint, I managed to save a few of your youtube videos with Honey Dew
before they disappeared from the net. You guys were really something.

When I first heard the clarinet accompany the Stick,
I was floored. Excellent work!

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:15 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Fun stuff, thanks for sharing! It's always fun to see someone rock out! You always look like you are having a lot of fun when you play, that's cool...

In my experience, I have found that chemistry trumps ability every time... By that, I mean that in a collaborative situation (ie a band) sometimes the "weakest link" can grow into a very important role. In their own way... Sometimes players of a very high calibre will not "get along", especially in a long term relationship like a band, or a marriage. Sometimes everyone can get along... But... if people don't share the same vision/goal/endgame...

Chemistry = common goals and everyone "knowing their role" and "being on the same page" towards said common goal.

One of the reasons I got a Stick is for the glorious ability to self accompany. A very powerful musical and creative tool you seem to have total command of! Keep on rocking!

Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:00 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again, y'all.

To amend my statement about collaborating with others:
I will jam with anyone.
l Iove connecting with people who don't consider themselves "musical" - and helping everyone find how musical they really are.

My stated set of "professional standards" really applies less to musical ability which is fluid and changeable; more to dedication to craft.
As soon as a person decides to commit to something, they can improve forever.

Jayessker is right: chemistry has a lot to do with it.
I would also say that it's important to be fully present with the music, in the moment.

Thanks again WerkSpace for appreciating the music we created as a duet.
I, too, have immense respect and gratitude for the art we created.

What you also must remember is that I've only released our best work, the "finished product" as it were.
I didn't release any recordings of our practice sessions degrading into complete misery -- which happened more often than us walking away from it feeling good.

It all has me wondering if the end justifies the means.

There were moments of beauty I will never regret; there was also more pain than I ever want to experience again.

We had chemistry.

Nowadays I know when chemistry feels right.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:42 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey man, loved the rastafarian slant! Your take on the Bob Marley reggae tunes is pretty cool! I also enjoyed the more off-the-cuff avant garde style of song choices as well! Good stuff! As mentioned previously, I agree, your music and personality makes me feel happy when I listen. Keep searching for a good chemistry match for complimentary music, but quite frankly, you are well received as a a soloist... at least from my perspective!

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:13 pm