It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:54 pm

My first gig with the Roland GR55 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post My first gig with the Roland GR55
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ca4P80K-J8[/youtube]
This piece actually starts out as the house PA sound-check, but I continued to play and it soon evolves into a normal music performance. Gear used: Stick Guitar SG12 with PASV-4 pickups, Roland GR55 guitar synthesizer, Macbook Pro with RME Fireface400. Software synth Alchemy plus the Logic/Mainstage synths Sculpture, ES2 and EFM1. Software looper Mobius running as AU plugin hosted in Mainstage and acting as the tempo sync master for everything. For playing the live electronics I use a Gordius Little Giant MIDI foot pedalboard and a Faderfox LV3 MIDI hand mixer/buttonpad.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: My first gig with the Roland GR55
That has to be Y2k :o ? Nice playing Per, really sorry I missed it this year.
*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:25 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

great sounds, Per! looking forward to some more "official" concert footage.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
great sounds, Per! looking forward to some more "official" concert footage.
Thanks, Greg. Well, I'm not sure there will be some more "official" concert footage from this Y2K festival... this was shot by an audience member that offered me to snag the file. But I'll be playing a 60 min duo concert with Erdem in Istanbul in January and hopefully someone will document that one properly.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Nice sounds :-)
About the GR-55 : how was setting up the device ? I'm considering buying one and read the manual a bit already and saw that scale length needs to be set as well as the distance of each string from bridge to hex-pickup. The scale length that can be set seems way shorter than the stick is. Did you have any problems with that ?

Cheers,
Bas.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:32 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

BasV wrote:
Nice sounds :-)
About the GR-55 : The scale length that can be set seems way shorter than the stick is. Did you have any problems with that ?
No issues here. It tracks perfectly right out of the box. But then one should remember that the SG12 equals a fender scale. I checked those settings and they are not exactly matching the physical measure on my SG12, some two/three mm mismatch here and there. I will fix this as soon as I find a tool to measure it exactly (and some time to do it). The GR55 offers three gross scale matching options: Gibson, Fender and Bass Guitar. If going with a Grand Stick I guess you would use the Bass setting.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Per Boysen wrote:
But then one should remember that the SG12 equals a fender scale.

Not exactly. the SG12 is 1" longer than fender scale and 1.75" longer than gibson scale. I Guess fender is the closest option though :lol:

FWIW, the only production guitars I can think of with a 26.5" scale are Schecter's 7 string models (Which are awesome).

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:33 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Quote:
If going with a Grand Stick I guess you would use the Bass setting.

thanks per,

this was a question i had, not being a guitar or bass player.

i'm trying to learn as much as i can before shipment of 12 string grand w/gk3 on melody side and gr-55. i had no idea what this setting should be at.

another question i have.. can you set the expression pedal on the gr-55 to control a parameter of a virtual instrument generated by logic pro? .... or a korg triton, etc???... or are you limited to controlling only gr-55 programs..

thanks and great video!

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:21 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

w8ing4thewindshield wrote:
another question i have.. can you set the expression pedal on the gr-55 to control a parameter of a virtual instrument generated by logic pro? .... or a korg triton, etc???... or are you limited to controlling only gr-55 programs..
Yes, you can set all the GK/GR controls to send out MIDI externally, and you can even decide what MIDI events to be sent out. Either through a USB cable (that will then be detected as a normal MIDI In port on the receiving end) or through the hardware MIDI Out port on the GR55.

Over here I use USB for the GR55 to receive MIDI Clock tempo signal from my laptop where the Mobius looper is the tempo master for the whole rig. Slaving devices, that follow the tempo of a first loop I snag, are the GR55 and all software synths and effects running as plugins under the host application Mainstage. I really enjoy playing with that sync solution.

I don't use the GK/GR to send out MIDI though, as I find it more logical to program the GR55 as a "self contained unit" so I can just plug it in anywhere and mock around with the sound from its own pedal and button pads. I keep two other MIDI control devices targeting the laptop stuff. I think that the sound of the GR55 in general has a bit of a dull blanket feel to it, but I found that I could at least make the best out of it by cabling the GR55's physical outputs into my RME Firface400 (or a mixer if you prefer that). The USB audio, ie when using the GR55 as a computer audio interface, to my ears has two dull blankets cover. I don't find this fidelity shortcoming a problem though, because I blend it with the Stick's magnetic PU sound and software synths that fill in what is missing in the GR55's sound.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I like your first gig, keep going! waiting for new results!

Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:36 am