It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:11 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 The Great Online "Stick Collaboration of 2016" 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: The Great Online "Stick Collaboration of 2016"
rwkeating wrote:
Just sent mine in. Hopefully it is usable and not too late.

I definitely got it, it's VERY useable, and nope never too late. Well... Next week might be too late hahaha

I have all of the parts assembled into my Daw (Logic ProX if anyone cares) and I have a pretty good idea now of how I want this to flow, so I have begun adding MY parts, which consist of drum grooves and support parts and stuff. The drum grooves bit is fun, everyone's time is just a little bit different... And man, it is a lesson unto itself to be able to see and hear each of these parts 'Under the microscope" as it were.

lol The song itself will be a bit long, but hey... The tunes I listen to all start at about 6min (Rush, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, etc...)

I'll keep ya posted, guys.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:16 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

"everyone's time is just a little bit different..." I think you can make them all the same in the logic program. If you need help I can sort of help tell you where to find how to do it. Cant wait to hear the finished product. It would be cool if you could give credit to who was playing at the time if thats not too much trouble. Or maybe we dont need to know.

rob

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:12 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I don't know how everybody's time is different, considering we probably all found a digital metronome for 110BPM. Hopefully by yourself or with some Jazz B8oven help you can do it. I am anxiously awaiting, J.Scott. I have a feeling it might come out like the TSO.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:16 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jzzb8ovn wrote:
"everyone's time is just a little bit different..." I think you can make them all the same in the logic program. If you need help I can sort of help tell you where to find how to do it. Cant wait to hear the finished product. It would be cool if you could give credit to who was playing at the time if thats not too much trouble. Or maybe we dont need to know.

rob

hehehe Thanks for the offer, but I should be okay; I REALLY know how to use Logic hehehe I am trying to avoid audio quantize wherever possible. And yep, I will be doing a separate thread with complete documentation. Really, really having fun with this...

sagehalo wrote:
I don't know how everybody's time is different, considering we probably all found a digital metronome for 110BPM. Hopefully by yourself or with some Jazz B8oven help you can do it. I am anxiously awaiting, J.Scott. I have a feeling it might come out like the TSO.

You would be surprised at how people interpret time differently. play 1/4 notes into a DAW with a click and then take a look at what you played and how it "lines up", you will be surprised/horrified. lol No two people are the same... Some play slightly ahead of the beat, some behind, and some swing, it's all good. That's what makes it music.

Anyways, I think everyone should be super proud of what they have submitted; collectively this is an extremely interesting study in Tapping...

Coming soon, guys. Coming very soon. I'm about 80% done... And I have completely avoided any guitars so far...

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:03 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

sagehalo wrote:

I began trying to come up with a concept for this compilation on my Tascam Pocket Studio with its internal metronome set at 110 bpm. Later, away from the Tascam, I brought up an online metronome and messed around a bit at 110 bpm. To me, the online metronome felt a bit slower and that made me curious. So I got the Pocket Studio out and turned it on next to the online metronome. It seemed like I was able to start them at the same time, but sure enough, the Tascam's was a little bit faster at the same setting. It doesn't seem possible that it could be that way, but perhaps there is human error on my part or even the part of whom ever programmed one of the metronomes.

Anyway, hats off to you Scott! In regards to whether or not to have guitar work...It is your baby. Still, it might be nice to redistribute the tracks to those who contributed, or even to someone who couldn't decide whether to send a part or not, to attempt some melodies or backing tracks. That would take way longer to finish, but could involve more folks.

Just a thought.

Mike

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I offer this example to further confuse what's going on here with metronomes not being "exact" when compared.

The metronome on my electric piano--where I do about 60% of all my recording onto its built-in 2-track MIDI recorder, while noodling around in the living room--will record at 120 BPM but then when I import it into Pro Tools, it inevitably is a tiny bit slower than actual 120 BPM. As it's just MIDI data, it's easily adjusted, but if I record actual piano audio from that piano, I know not to expect its 120 BPM to match exactly what Pro Tools considers 120. I have no explanation for this phenomenon but I assure you that I've been bit with it and wrestled with it for a while. My solution is to actually never use the built-in piano metronome! I suspect that it has an analog component to it somewhere, that is not true digital and not 100% accurate down to the millisecond.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I wouldn't have guessed this metronome phenomenon, but clearly it exists. Maybe the best bet for next time is to share a wave file of metronome or drum track. Of course, the more info, the more narrowing of the creativity.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:23 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

sagehalo wrote:
I wouldn't have guessed this metronome phenomenon, but clearly it exists. Maybe the best bet for next time is to share a wave file of metronome or drum track. Of course, the more info, the more narrowing of the creativity.

I don't think the metronome "problem" is actually that big of a deal. We're talking hundredths of a second in most cases. Even for my own metronome problem that I mentioned. But over a 4-minute song, by the end of the song, I'll be off a measure or so from the beginning and have to compress or stretch things just a tiny, tiny bit. But "We Have The Technology," (elastic audio), and it's easily corrected.

But I do think some kind of a backing track would be a great idea. Some people don't know where to start, and it gives them more than just a blank page or silence to start from. It could be just percussive, or have some chords behind it, or a bassline, but we do all that in the Stick and that might as you say curtail creativity. But creativity also flourishes within boundaries, if you've ever had to follow a Sonata or Symphony format, or make a poem in iambic pentameter, or a haiku. Form can actually help drive creativity in some cases.

I did a bassline to establish a boundary and framework and then wrote a melody on top of that. I would have course done something totally different if I had been given backing tracks. I don't know if better or worse but I'm pretty comfortable saying "different."

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

sagehalo wrote:

It exists.

Rhythm is infinite. The notes we have to play, and the chords made up from said notes is very quantifiable. And without rhythm, the concept of melody and harmony is nothing. It"s why there are so many songs with the same harmonic structure, and yet because of even a seemingly insignificant rhythmic variance, they are all different.

It's why the blues works. Simple chord changes, simple note pool to draw from, infinite rhythmic possibilities. Rhythm can be divided and subdivided infinitely...

Take a song, any song and try to create a note-for-note recreation of it. Yours will be different, no matter how you try. The rhythm and time alone will have variation.

We live in a day and age where at the click of a button, you can change the rhythmic and pitch values of everything and anything. It's a great creative tool. But just because we can, should we?

I guess it depends on one's definition of 'groove'. Take a listen to MilesDavis' "So What", then go listen to a 'midi' of it. If you like the midi better than the original, you are dead to me... lol the human element is important.

Keith Richards plays behind the beat. He just does. You gonna "quantize" that out? Hell no! That's what makes up a big part of the Stones sound. Lol

I want to say this; Creativity is NOT some special sublime ability reserved only for artists. Creativity IS problem solving. It's adaptation and evolution. It is what has enabled humanity to survive, advance and flourish in every aspect. "More" information doesn't narrow creativity, but rather provides more "colours" with which to "paint". More words with which to speak. I choose to believe that the concept of creativity is as infinite as rhythm. Rely on knowledge, intuition, experience, brute force, whatever. They are just tools...

If someone thinks that because I have chosen to study, practice, and attempt to understand a concept that it will make me less creative, less able to adapt, solve and invent then they have made a grave error. And I am nobody... lots more just like me all over the place! lol

Is Mike Stern a less "creative" musician than Jack White just because Mike made the mistake of knowing his stuff and studying his art? Certainly the two are different, I like 'em both. Lol I certainly prefer a surgeon who went to school... I mean I COULD have stitched my finger back on when I cut it off last spring... but I am really glad I let an expert do his thing. It works, doesn't hurt too bad, and isn't scarred too badly. Healed pretty fast, too.

I kept this collaboration a bit ambiguous on purpose. Everyone is different, and I wanted to celebrate it. I wanted a chance to play with my friends on Stickist.com, and I wanted it so that everyone could be included, and advanced and novice players alike could participate, no fear. It's a great opportunity to hear 20 radically different players in one tune and see what happens... And for those who are participating, it's an opportunity to say "what if" and see what happens when you let someone you don't know mess with your playing and jam... lol basically a mashup haha

There are a lot of special, fun moments on this tune, and they would not have happened without this situation... you will see.

Your Friend,
The one with the rotten attitude...
Noisemaker extraordinaire...
Destroyer of evil...
Lifter of heavy things...
Melter of faces...
Fixer of upper...
Haver of fun...

Scott

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:07 am

Just sent mine Scott.
Mine is on an Alto so may be good for a bit of harmony an octave or 2 above what you are probably recieving.
Hope your ears don't bleed while listening to it lol.

Cheers
Joel

Rosewood Alto #5764

Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next