It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:29 pm

Kiss from a Rose (It will never bother anyone again...) 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Kiss from a Rose (It will never bother anyone again...)
Okay, I got to talking to Rob G about his "Trainwreck" and after seeing his footage, it was pretty darned good! He played "Kiss from a Rose" by Seal, and man... it was awesome! A hiccup or two, but light years ahead of the crap I play hahaha. Plus, Rob can play the whole thing! lol

Awright... I slammed it together this morning just so I could say I did it before Rob posts his polished version of the tune. It's a lot of fun, and it really is THE best of the Batman songs... I learned this one last year sometime, but kind of gave up on it. Rob's video was really inspiring, I am pretty sure he doesn't know how good at music he really is!

Anyways, I hope y'all enjoy this!

Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:13 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Kiss from a Rose (It will never bother anyone again...)
Ah, well done my friend.nice tone also. not a fan of sound cloud at all.but pulled it off nicely.

Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hey! Thanks for checking it out, yeah I am not so fond of Soundcloud either but hey, a necessary evil I guess... And SOMEONE has to keep all the EDM in check! hahaha

Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:25 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Great job, Scott! I can't wait to hear/see Rob's version now. I was amazed at how good this came out for just slamming it together!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Not bad, Scott. It strikes me from listening to you play it(even a quick arrangement) how difficult the melody might be to play against the order of the arpeggiated chord on the bass side. I wonder if both parts were played simultaneously or tracked separately? IF so, nice. If not, no shame. Perhaps it would be even more musical to drop some of the bass quarter(or should I say eighth?..I will have to give it another listen) notes in the future.

For me the hardest part would be how irregular the melody comes in over the chords.

Good work. and here's to hoping Rob G's "train wreck" will have some wonderful consequences!

Mike

Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I'm glad my "train wreck" inspired you. It's a very cool tune and I'm glad you got it posted. You inspire me as well and thanks for the kind words

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:05 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

mike kemp wrote:
Not bad, Scott. It strikes me from listening to you play it(even a quick arrangement) how difficult the melody might be to play against the order of the arpeggiated chord on the bass side. I wonder if both parts were played simultaneously or tracked separately? IF so, nice. If not, no shame. Perhaps it would be even more musical to drop some of the bass quarter(or should I say eighth?..I will have to give it another listen) notes in the future.

For me the hardest part would be how irregular the melody comes in over the chords.

Good work. and here's to hoping Rob G's "train wreck" will have some wonderful consequences!

Mike

Pretty much all 16th notes in the bass. It might be more musical to drop some notes I suppose, but this was just a quick run-through so I doubt I will develop it further

Two tracks, (bass and melody) recorded simultaneously in one shot. The result of about 80 or so takes hahah The tune is in 6/8 and the prechorus has a measure of 9/8 and a measure of 6/8. I used the "stick arpeggio" as the basis for the bass-line, and played multiple inversions of the same chord wherever I could; (Check Scarborough Fair in the Stick Book or Requiem for Persephone or Greensleeves - That's where I stole the concept from) Basically, I play Greg's sequence through each inversion ex. GDBDBD BDGDGD DGBGBG etc I think it's Greg's... I dunno, I hear everybody play that sequence on the Stick...

The progression is harmonically pretty easy and the melody is mostly 8th notes that fall on the beats with not too many tied notes over the bar or weird anticipations. I kind of screwed up the melody line in a spot or two, phrased Seal's vocal line a bit poorly, and my timing is not very good either, but I slammed this together pretty quickly.

lol the ending is me playing Paul Gilbert's famous picking exercise in the LH while the RH does the (Ba-ya-ya-ba-ya-baya bay etc) part. Actually pretty cheap, but it sounded good at the moment I thought...

I will be demoing some of this stuff in my next two-hand-tapping video. You will see how cheap and lame my tapping actually is lol As if you didn't already know! hahaha (Rob's version was really, really good! his polished version will be bloody epic!)

Thanks for checking it out, guys!

Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:16 pm