It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:08 pm

The Power of Powerful Power-chords 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post The Power of Powerful Power-chords
Well, nothing really that powerful! But it IS a fun title... Stick's older cousin makes an appearance, and I try to play some funny stuff. The best part of the video is the credits at the end, no lie. Thanks to THE Stephen Sink for letting me have a Fractal clip for behind the logo, it's totally cool!

Anyways,
I thought I'd make a video, not really a tutorial video, but maybe a presentation of an aspect of some things that I practice. The playing is all off the cuff, all of the guitar tapping stuff I have been doing for quite some time (Nope, no picks in this one) and the whole video is just about having fun with power-chords, Root-5th-octave.

I think that there is a lot of power in just playing the riff; and getting really warm and fuzzy with power-chords. Yes, there is absolutely value in working out a tune with separate melody and bass parts. Yes, there is big benefits to learning all of your notes, sight-reading, theory, etc etc. BUT, I think that along the way, while one toils away in the practice dungeon, it is also worthwhile to take some simple things that can be learned quickly (I played these riffs as they came to mind. Learned 'em from 'guitar' memory" - I wish I had spent more time doing this sort of thing when I first got my Stick, it would have really helped out I think.

So while one slaves away at learning music that requires weeks to learn, and probably months to polish up, you can also learn some riffs that you can pick up in minutes, and play right along with the recording, and then jam with your drummer buddies.

Also especially useful in ensemble type settings... Anyways, just my opinion about a small part of what I practice. Hopefully y'all enjoy it...

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:34 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: The Power of Powerful Power-chords
Really helpful mate! Your comments about basic location knowledge for beginners - you are spot on. I just wanted to play massive 2-handed chords on the Stick so having a moveable pattern to explore from is helpful geography. Probably many of us begin guitar with 3 power chords and found happiness from the result! This approach of paired hands of course applies to maj and min chords... another video from Scott?

Very helpful, I'm going to try on B/Melody now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome, man. Thanks!

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:56 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Excellent, excellent video! Your best yet that I've seen!

Your sound and voice level was right on and perfect throughout. Your various guitars and Sticks sounded just fine.

Thanks for the "badass fractals" credit! Laughing at Trump for the haircut ideas, and Satan really needs to start helping, Crossroads style! What good is a soul for, anyway, if not selling it for talent? Maybe we can blame him for any tritones.

Cheers to Mrs. Chahley for the spelling tips!

Awesome video, Scott, and awesome playing. This would have been an even bigger help to me a year ago when I didn't know the strings or frets yet. But it also allowed me to totally say "Oh, yep, I see what he's doing there. That sounds killer; I can do that!"

That did sound killer and was an awesome video. It's important to get to the rocking as soon as possible on a new instrument, and power chords are great for just making some music.

Very good job on this one! What's going in Episode 3?

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:27 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lol thanks for checking it out, glad you guys dug it and I hope y'all can see the humour I try to convey. Making these videos is actually quite fun. Fun is important...

Hmmn. Episode 3 is going to require some meditation.... there are indeed a few irksome topics I want to address...

Thanks again, guys.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:42 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

You had me on the title already Jaye. :lol:

I'll be sure to come back to it later on.

Chairs

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Episode 3 is going to require some meditation....

I thought it said medication. Good stuff though. Love power chords and the doubling capabilities of the Stick.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

AnDroiD wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
Episode 3 is going to require some meditation....

I thought it said medication. Good stuff though. Love power chords and the doubling capabilities of the Stick.

I will probably need medication. Heh

Powerchords are powerful, thanks for watching, guys!
(I decided to do the next episode kind of on "warm-ups"...)

Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:40 am