It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 pm

New Stick Tune "Chasm" 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: New Stick Tune "Chasm"
RandO wrote:
Cool stuff Scott, Way way out of my league lol! This is not the style of music I aspire to, but it sure is fun listening to your music as you progress along your chosen path. Man, I could never dream of playing like you, never mind accomplishing it! My 50 years of drumming just gets in the way of me trying to play a stringed instrument lol!
Good on Ya brother, it's light years ahead of where you were last year!

Hey, thanks for checking out the tune, Rand. You know, I got a Stick because I wanted to self accompany. Along the way, it has been a task unto itself to just sort of decide how it is I want to play it;

I mean look at guitar... There are so many different types of guitarists, and depending on the genre they play that can really impact their approach to playing. I think it all starts with embracing the type of music you love, and then taking it from there. Not everyone is a great fingerstyle guitarist, right? Not everyone is a good singer/songwriter? Etc etc... Do your own thing, and enjoy the hatemail. lol

Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:19 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Nice piece! I like the soft melodic attitude with functional themes of low shred factor. Sounds like something used for a tv show in the past. Don't lose that vibe now as your playing abilities keeps growing better!

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Wow, this tune got quite a few listens! Per even checked it out! Made my day, dude! Thanks!

Cool! One or two people even liked it! hahaha Thanks, guys. Here's a re-embed of the tune for the "2nd page"... Awright, back to practice!

Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:23 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Quote:
Hey, thanks for checking out the tune, Rand. You know, I got a Stick because I wanted to self accompany. Along the way, it has been a task unto itself to just sort of decide how it is I want to play it .
I mean look at guitar... There are so many different types of guitarists, and depending on the genre they play that can really impact their approach to playing. I think it all starts with embracing the type of music you love, and then taking it from there. Not everyone is a great fingerstyle guitarist, right? Not everyone is a good singer/songwriter?

Same thing with drumming Scott, different strokes for different folks, but one can still enjoy the art of each musician regardless of the style they play, right?
Quote:
Do your own thing, and enjoy the hatemail. lol

I don't see the hate mail brother, except your own self-deprecating remarks in regards to your musicianship. You ain't gettin' any sympathy from me though hahaha! You tend to pick yourself apart, but everyone else that comments on your work is either very appreciative (as I am!) noting your dedication, or in some instances offering helpful constructive criticism, all in a good way. I could never offer constructive criticism... half the time I don't have a clue what others remarks are referring too! The only music theory background I have has been over the last 19 months, with Steve A giving me quite an education... I feel bad for him because I am such a numbskull lol! But it is gradually sinking in, and I am far beyond the knowledge I had before I started. Still, I could play 8 hours a day for the next 20 years (ain't likely since I am 65+ already lol!) and NEVER get to your (or any of the other accomplished players) level. I will be ecstatic and completely thrilled if I can ever get through 5 or 6 songs without any mistakes!

I really enjoy seeing everyone's videos and accomplishments, it spurs me on to keep at it. I got a Stick because I wanted to self accompany too, and also because the first time I heard it played, I thought there was a full band I was listening to. When the houselights came up (at a Blue Man Group show) I was totally and completely blown away by what I saw.... a drummer and ONE musician! Right there the journey began, but it took 20 friggin' years to step up to the plate for me. Still, here I am!

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:25 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

naw, not self deprecating, just very, very aware of where I am at, and where I want to go with the instrument! I am the sort of person who is happy to keep doing even the most mundane of tasks as long as I see results. If I feel like I am spinning my wheels, I address it. If it comes across as negative or whiney, sorry about that; I am an aggressive solution finder. I did NOT buy these instruments with the intent of "not" being able to play them... All about the music, might be a curse...hahaha

lol I don't get much feedback publicly, but with every tune/riff/video or whatever I have posted there has been a ton of negative Pm's. From day one. Mostly Facebook and Youtube, maybe and from my now defunct website "Stick to guitar" was a common one hahaha It's what you get when you put yourself out there. It's kind of funny, especially as I get to know some of the sources...

Rand, I bet you are a monster. I agree wholeheartedly that all music is there to be appreciated, even if we don't play in certain styles or whatever. It's all fun.

One of the BEST things about this forum is that I can go check out about 10-20 different playing posts at any given time, and even if the musical style is a polar opposite to what I like, there is always some kind of inspiration... I love that.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:19 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Oooo! Fun stuff! Loved it :) I can recognize some of the stuff from previous videos. It's so cool, I was thinking about That just this morning: how exercises develop into music... Nothing gets wasted. :)

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:22 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

These 'songs' that Scott comes up with that are multi-tracked always impress me. I just think
"how does he do that!?" But this one has an extra element of heart the make it a standout 8-).

Very impressive and inspirational...

jRj
*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:45 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Killer, Scott. Not having a vantage point of how good you were vs. how good you are now, I would just say your Stick playing is solid. I particularly like the drums at the end.

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:54 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

K-Rex, JRJ; thanks for checking the tune out! It means a lot to me that people might take the time to listen, and even more that they might comment! (Woo! My drum part even got noticed!)

More to come, guys. Lots more.

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:23 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

By the way, this track uses distortion in a spot or two...

Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:39 pm