It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:59 am

True Colors 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: True Colors
Congrats and Kudos on a wonderful Cyndi Lauper tune well done! I agree with Oliver, and had the same issue when I first started playing on my White Poly Carb (1989!) that I pushed the strings into the board and caused a slight intonation problem.

Solution- a lighter touch, maybe a switch to medium gauge strings, turn the amp up more- up to 11 if you have a Spinal Tap Custom Nigel, :D or even use a little compression. Also always play your Stick/Railboard through an amp or headphone amp. Playing it "naked" will cause you to tap the strings harder to hear it and cause these intonation problems. I know because that's what I used to do.

You play so well and your arrangement really worked, why handicap your self and let your listeners criticize you over something so little that can be fixed so easily. Playing out of tune to the uninitiated listener who doesn't know the Stick (99.9% of the populous) will on a subconscious level IMHO make then think less of you that you can't tune your instrument, or it is inferior from a professional level and can't stay in tune, or you can't play in tune all of which is NOT true in the least.

None of the above takes away your great post or your amazing progress to post this only playing after a couple of months! We just want you to be even better and that's why the true intention of the Stick family is support and in a butch way, love!

hope it helps and best wishes on your continued success!
Dave B "DBro"

Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. And great feedback which I will take and work on further. I love this community and have always felt it was very supportive. We are all lucky to be part of it.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:07 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Olivier wrote:
Intonation problem might be caused by light gauge strings pressed a bit too hard.

Possibly, but Railboards come with medium gauge strings standard - of course, we don't know what Rob had installed on his by SE...
I find that if I tune up with a clip-on tuner (like a Snark) my tuning is "pretty close." When it really matters, though, like recording, I use a Korg "plug-in" tuner (a TM model) and I get more accurate results with it. Another thing could be that some of your chords in the left hand are densely clustered, and in lower registers, that can create a muddy sound and could be messing with intonation, or at least the perception of the intonation. During the chorus, for example, you go to the "classic" triad chord shapes, and the whole thing opens up and gains clarity. I'm not saying you should do that through the whole song; I'm just illustrating the point, that's all. (Greg would also probably point out the potential use of voice leading when making arrangements.)
I don't mean to sound critical at all ... I believe this was really well done. Your playing is solid, your tone is great, and I like the flavor and feel you went for in arranging this tune. You should be very happy with what you've done in these 8 months!! A big BRAVO to you!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:06 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Thank you Luc. I appreciate feedback.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:22 pm