It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

"Fractals" and Fractal Animation Videos 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: "Fractals" and Fractal Animation Videos
That's pretty trippy crazy fractal stuff but I can't tell who it is. Steve A?

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Ill give you a hint, I'm in the middle, and the one on left has the wizards robe.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:15 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Any takers... you might win a carnival prize ;)

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:23 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Steve, im using your fractal animation as "visual stimulation" while practicing/playing/improvising/writing. no sound. im creating my own "aural landscape". thank you for inspiring. much safer than LSD

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
Steve, im using your fractal animation as "visual stimulation" while practicing/playing/improvising/writing. no sound. im creating my own "aural landscape". thank you for inspiring. much safer than LSD
Marty, that's awesome! That's what it's all for, after all. Tripping without the acid! (Or with, but those days are far past me now!) [Sorts through the icons to find one appropriate for the topic...] :o shock :shock: :? and questions :roll: amazement :lol: laughter and then :oops: maybe a bit of embarrassment, and hopefully a whole lot of :idea: ideas until we all become :ugeek: ubergeeks.

You can find a whole bunch more here: http://vimeo.com/channels/fractals and at my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/paigan0.

I'm a big fan of the psychedelic as inspiration and as an end in itself. It's enough to just be trippin'dicular and look cool, but hopefully it can also inspire myself and others. If I did live shows anymore, I'd have this stuff playing on giant screens in the background.

But that raises a larger point: what's this fractal video stuff for? Like so much of my creative output (music, graphic art, video, essays, short stories and even books), I just DO things and don't really know exactly what to do WITH them when they're done. I'm currently attaching some of my own back catalog to some videos, and also using new videos as a spur to get me to produce new music to go along with it. From a creative output/synergistic point of view, the time that the fractal stuff takes out of my music usually makes up by making me do more original music to match the fractal video output. I've been a very productive little boy since I discovered both fractals and shortly after, the Chapman Stick. My personal goal is at least an hour a day on the Stick (usually 2) and then fractal work every Saturday morning, and throughout the week with monitoring and troubleshooting my render farm of computers all working together to crunch fractals 24/7 for weeks at a time).

So, I've been doing both and sticking my videos with my music, but at some point, I could or should start farming out or selling or whatever to other people to use for whatever they want to use: live shows, acid tripping festivals, something else amazingly creative that I haven't yet even begun to think of yet...That's the idea--to stimulate the old brain(s) and just do cool things.

It's awesome that this stuff inspires you--I sure get a kick out of it--and that makes it all worthwhile! Makes my whole week to hear you say that (it was a bit of a crappy week that turned out to end pretty awesomely, so this came at a great time this morning.)

Cheers! Oh, and I'll have my latest masterpiece posted later today: Valhalla After Ragnarok. (The latest one is always my bestest one 'cause I keep figuring more of this stuff out!)

(And I'm still working on Stick bass lines to my latest original music "Chromatic Jack," in which I attempt to take my StickBass to BassGod level. I'm sooooo close, come on, stupid fingers!)

--Fractally Trippin'dicular, Steve

Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Good thread... hits close to home for me. A couple of comments.

paigan0 wrote:
But that raises a larger point: what's this fractal video stuff for?

Art requires no more justification than "intent".

I have started down this same road (3D and/or fractal animation with original music) a couple of times in the past, but it takes far more commitment than may appear on the surface. My seeds go all the way back to "The Mind's Eye" films and Todd Rundgren's "Change Myself" video. I admire your work on a lot of levels. Bravo.

If I could make one comment on the animation you posted at the beginning of the thread. I think it may be helpful to define a camera path that doesn't fly through the rendered object's surface. Around the 1:00 mark is an example of what I'm talking about. I think it'd help the viewer to maintain the feeling they were in a physical space. Not a criticism. Just a thought.

BTW, I think it's safe to say you've fallen into a rabbit hole. Just know that you'll never ever have enough cores in your render farm. :)

Best,

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:20 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Oceans wrote:
Here is a relevant picture with fractal properties..?/..umm ,well it analyzes pictures and then shows its true(acid tripping) reality via some advanced- algorhythm- hyperspace- concept.
Guess who this is! I can give clues if needed. :o I have some revelations on this as well.. Cheers

Is this you, Don Schiff, and Emmett?

Mike

Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Karma,

Let me violently shake your hand! Thanks SOOO much for all of your comments!

In reverse order:

Karma wrote:
If I could make one comment on the animation you posted at the beginning of the thread. I think it may be helpful to define a camera path that doesn't fly through the rendered object's surface. Around the 1:00 mark is an example of what I'm talking about. I think it'd help the viewer to maintain the feeling they were in a physical space. Not a criticism. Just a thought.
That comment alone validated to me that you're an awesome person. :geek: I strive mightily to keep the camera from bashing into stuff--except when that happens to make an awesome effect--but sometimes it takes more re-working to get the camera to get around something that it's "worth" at the time. Bashing into stuff often makes the software crash--particularly if there's a focus effect--and that gets real annoying having to reset and reconfigure--and if I don't notice, I might lose a whole day's output. Also, playing with the fish-eye view here made it a bit harder to plot where things where going to end up, and a bit harder to maneuver out of a space that I had backed the camera into. So, excellent comment and I agree completely--it takes away from that sense of physical space.
Karma wrote:
Art requires no more justification than "intent".
I hear you, brother, and that keeps me warm on cold winter nights, and keeps me working on stuff rather than playing video games. But there's some amount of work that has to be done with promotion, and with finding a "market" for stuff. Nothing says validation like cash offered for a concrete deliverable (song, video, book, etc.). But that's not the purpose of all that--I'm just trying to make Art, and amuse myself, and hopefully those two things will coincide! But I work more on the production side of the house, and a lot less on the promotion side of the house. I ultimately want the world to see and hear this stuff but the world doesn't live in my basement. At least, THIS world! :twisted:

Karma wrote:
BTW, I think it's safe to say you've fallen into a rabbit hole. Just know that you'll never ever have enough cores in your render farm.
I'm starting to really get a power bill reflecting all those cores crunching away. But I just ordered another 24-core rackmount server because it was cheap! But I will probably get out of the HP blade server enclosure business. 16 blade servers is way more than I want to pay to power (I have 6 so far). I'm going to sell off the blades and replace all that with the rackmounts that make a lot less noise and heat. I don't see power savings on the blade enclosure unless I have at least 8 going, and I really want to have (and pay to power) no more than 4 or so at the moment, plus the other 5 PCs and MACs from around the house. And frankly, I need time to produce music to go with the videos. But with the extra cores, I've been doing much more difficult-to-render stuff, so as I add cores, I increase the total render time by upping the complexity. It's an arms-race between my capability and my willingness to throw years of computing power at something.

My latest video has almost a hundred cores working on it but will still take another 42 days to complete. :ugeek:
Karma wrote:
I have started down this same road (3D and/or fractal animation with original music) a couple of times in the past, but it takes far more commitment than may appear on the surface. My seeds go all the way back to "The Mind's Eye" films and Todd Rundgren's "Change Myself" video. I admire your work on a lot of levels. Bravo.
That's awesome; thanks for that! I don't think I'm familiar with either of those two films/videos. I'll start Youtubing when I get home this afternoon and get up to speed. Also, I'd love to see what you've done, if you're willing to share. Thanks again for the comments and for introducing yourself as a fellow rendering soul! I deeply appreciate it!

mike kemp wrote:
Is this you, Don Schiff, and Emmett? Mike
Oh, that would be my guess, too! Okay, do tell, please!

Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

yer Vimeo is what im watching. if i ever start gigging, that's the kind of stuff i want in the background. one of my crazy ideas is dressing everyone in reflective suits (and the equipment) and projecting that onto us. mebe it would be like the effect in "Predator". just see the hands, eyes, and instruments. (yeah i did alot of acid back in the day) DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT AN ADVOCATION FOR MIND ALTERING CHEMICALS/POISONS. (im a recovering alcoholic/addict. i did all the R&D for you.)

Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
yer Vimeo is what im watching. if i ever start gigging, that's the kind of stuff i want in the background. one of my crazy ideas is dressing everyone in reflective suits (and the equipment) and projecting that onto us. mebe it would be like the effect in "Predator". just see the hands, eyes, and instruments. (yeah i did alot of acid back in the day) DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT AN ADVOCATION FOR MIND ALTERING CHEMICALS/POISONS. (im a recovering alcoholic/addict. i did all the R&D for you.)

That's hilarious! Both the Predator image with videos projected on the band--which sounds like a really cool idea, by the way, for a live show gig--and the R&D line. I stopped drinking as a competitive sport a year ago February, and this fractal stuff started right at about the same time, as an outlet for that energy that apparently the rum had been soaking up. My creative output is higher than ever without the alcohol.

I have almost no problem with a mind-expanding-or-altering ANYTHING, but addictions suck! So cheers (pun intended) for sobriety, but all things in moderation, even moderation (B. Franklin). Good for you on your recovery! And good for me for replacing one addiction (rum) for two new ones: Chapman Stick and fractals. :D

Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery