It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

Keyboard music on the Stick 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Keyboard music on the Stick
Is there anyone out there who's dedicated to keyboard music on the Stick? I'm looking for partners with whom to play piano duets, as written, on two Sticks...the idea would be to practice with recordings of one another and then to play live at seminars....

August, 1983

Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Keyboard music on the Stick
mad_monk wrote:
Is there anyone out there who's dedicated to keyboard music on the Stick? I'm looking for partners with whom to play piano duets, as written, on two Sticks...the idea would be to practice with recordings of one another and then to play live at seminars....

I'm not dedicated to it but I just finished transcribing the Gymnopedie No. 1 by Erik Satie. I put the links to it here on the forum a bit before the Great Crash of 08. I found it to be a very interesting challenge and I'm not sure that piano music can be played as written very often. I'm still very new to the Stick and I have a lot to learn but this is a very cool idea of yours. Do you have some pieces in mind?

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

EricTheGray wrote:
I'm not dedicated to it but I just finished transcribing the Gymnopedie No. 1 by Erik Satie. I put the links to it here on the forum a bit before the Great Crash of 08.

-Eric

No, not another crash! We just went through the Great Crash of 07.

Had an ironwood Stick in the late 80s, but I sold it. (One of my two big regrets in life.)

Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:10 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

fcoulter wrote:
No, not another crash! We just went through the Great Crash of 07.

Ha, I guess I was getting ahead of myself. I will refrain from editing that comment to keep the record straight. I was just reading a great article in the Smithsonian Magazine about the year 1908 and it must have made an impression on me.

I really did mean the Great Crash of 07! :oops:

-Eric

Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Quote:
I found it to be a very interesting challenge and I'm not sure that piano music can be played as written very often.

Only a small percentage of 19th and 20th century piano music is playable as written.
What's amazing is that the great majority of music written prior to 1800 can be played on a 12-string set up to cover the pitch range used for each hand--requiring 7 bass strings (in fourths) and 3 extra frets to cover all pieces (FF to f3). Eighteenth century harmonies and textures are mostly quite playable, if not easy....

August, 1983

Last edited by mad_monk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hi mad_monk - I'm not exactly a candidate for your duo but here's a piece that is working well for one Stick. It's a bit difficult but I'm coming along fairly well with it. Two could easily play this one.

Chopin Etude in A minor Op. 10 no2

Whoever plays the right hand will end up with brilliant technique playing chromatic lines. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Chopin's etudes - each piece is a stunning composition focusing on a particular difficult move.
I'll look for some more compositions and come back when I have a moment.

Here's a good source for music: http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/

Sean Stirling - Musician Under Construction
http://seanstirling.stickist.com (Not up yet - I'm on Manny's server)

Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Being mad monk, have you tried some the tunes by Brother Thelonious?

Speaking of Keyboard, just heard of the passing of the legendary Oscar Peterson. Now there was a pianist.

Lotta Tekneek

Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Sad news about one of the greatest pianists of all time. On Stickwire today, dj provided this link to "Goodbye" by Oscar Peterson in his early prime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ebo12xg ... re=related

In the late '60s/early '70s, Yuta and I and friends often saw his piano trio play at Shelly's Manne Hole on Cahuenga Blvd., in Hollywood. He had it all - a great guiding intelligence, the sound training in technique, the fast and measuring hands, the adventurous explorations in harmony and structure, the polished overlay of soulful expression, and a frame big enough to cope with any piano in any situation.

Later he came to Shelly's to hear my newly developed Stick technique on my home built 9-string guitar together in a quartet with jazz guitarist Barney Kessel.

The world has lost a great creative intelligence, but on a happier note this Christmas Day, Yuta and I send you all our best wishes over the Holidays and into the next year.

Yes I know it's just a number (won't it be great in 2 0 0 8). Still, we're in touch with the seasons, even here in Southern California, and aware of the shortest days, the grandest swing of luminaries and planets from northward and around the southern horizon. The full moon of the last two nights was part of a larger astrological event, an exact opposition of sun in the first degrees of Capricorn and moon in the first degrees of its opposite sign Cancer, and backed by a "full" Mars in tight conjunction with the full moon, both at their brightest and fully illuminated by the sun. Add to this grand opposition the presence of Jupiter tightly conjoining the sun in the first degree of Capricorn, and with Mercury also nearby in early Capricorn, and you have a powerful Christmas configuration of mitosis in these two nurturing and parental signs. Anybody feel it?

It's also a time to stock up on resources including food - lavish luxury in the face of wintery deprivations (and no vitamin D). But now come the resolutions, well before New Year's Eve, arising deep in the digestion and by osmosis filtering upward to the Will - "I will eat no more, no more sugar, no more fat, no more cheese, and no more Holidays please."

Let's see, Yuta's and daughter Grace's birthdays are scheduled between now and New Year, with Yuta's on the 31st. Through the blubber and the blubbering I maintain, "I will eat no sweets."

A sugary and spicy Christmas Day to you, Emmett.

Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:24 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

EricTheGray wrote:
mad_monk wrote:

I'm not dedicated to it but I just finished transcribing the Gymnopedie No. 1 by Erik Satie. I put the links to it here on the forum a bit before the Great Crash of 08. I found it to be a very interesting challenge and I'm not sure that piano music can be played as written very often. I'm still very new to the Stick and I have a lot to learn but this is a very cool idea of yours. Do you have some pieces in mind?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I just got a new CD in the mail from Montréal Stickist Fred-Érick Sauvé called "Stickistique."

It's solo Stick recordings, including six "Gnossienne" by Satie. Fred is a great player, and the disc is well-produced, and very interesting listening, especially for those interested in adapting piano music to the instrument.

His MySpace page is http://www.myspace.com/stickiste. There are some samples there.

Congrats to Fred on this new disc.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
Hi Eric,

I just got a new CD in the mail from Montréal Stickist Fred-Érick Sauvé called "Stickistique."

It's solo Stick recordings, including six "Gnossienne" by Satie. Fred is a great player, and the disc is well-produced, and very interesting listening, especially for those interested in adapting piano music to the instrument.

His MySpace page is http://www.myspace.com/stickiste. There are some samples there.

Congrats to Fred on this new disc.

Very nice and thanks for the tip! I'm going to get this one for sure.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery