It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 pm

E-I-E-I-O 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post E-I-E-I-O
Just got back from playing with my daughter's class of 4 and 5-year-olds.

I never would have expected to be accompanying a group of 20 kids singing "Old McDonald" but then life is always full of surprises.

By the way, C seems to be a much better key for little kids than F for some reason (should any of you find yourselves in a similar situation...)

And you better have those repeated notes deeply ingrained in your muscle memory!

Hear a quack, there a quack, everywhere a quack quack..

Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Post Re: E-I-E-I-O
Ever since I got my Stick, and the word got out among my kids music teachers, I've been taking it to their schools. And since I'm a newbie, I've brought MP3s of Greg, Rob, and Glen and others to show what it can really do.

So far, the second and fourth grade teachers are into Greg and Rob's solo stuff. The 6th and 8th grade teachers are into Greg's solo and Code Magenta. The high school teacher likes Tony Levin and a bit of King Crimson.

Yes, if you are counting I have five kids, and am rarely bored. Maybe by the fall I'll be able to actually play something that doesn't sound awful! :)

Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:07 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

And were you playing Stick with them? If so, what did they think of it?

Being with kids in their school has been one of my great pleasures for the past decade.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

EricTheGray wrote:
And were you playing Stick with them? If so, what did they think of it?

Being with kids in their school has been one of my great pleasures for the past decade.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Yes, Stick.

I played for my other daughter's music class earlier in the year and they "got it" a little more. Last night it was the big end-of-the-year celebration, so there was too much going on for them to notice.

It's definitely fun to turn a new generation on to the instrument and Emmett's method. I wonder how well physical instruments will do in the face of more and more electronic means of entertainment in general and making music in particular...

Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

interesting post, Greg... Especially now that I am father of a nearly-4-weeks old kid :)
I am wondering what a child could be if he starts learning the Stick as the first instrument...

... kids at school:
"I play the piano"
"I play guitar"
"I play the Stick"

:D

Alex

Polycarbonate 10 strings "Ye Olde Polie" #2282
Grand Graphite 12 strings "Doomsday Device" #5617

Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:59 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Greg
I have been using the Stick in my teaching of elementary school kids for the past 5 years. It's an amazing accompanying instrument and learning folk songs really aid in articulation. I think everyone should learn "old MacDonald" and "Hotcross Buns" and try to play them legato. It really shows the importance of proper technique with repeated notes. Its funny In Hamden CT every kid knows what a stick is. They play with one all the time.

Brett

Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I've been teaching music to teenagers for the past few years, and busting out the Stick for afternoon jam sessions has always been a lot of fun. I always made a point of encouraging the widest-eyed among them to try it out for themselves, and it always seemed to me that that the advanced guitar players were more likely to be intimidated by it, while the multi-instrumentalists took to it pretty quickly. A couple of the latter came to a beginner seminar about a year or so ago and kept up pretty well.

Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:24 pm
Contributor
Contributor

My son has known the Stick since birth (he turned 11 last week). I played for his daycare several years ago (he was 4 at the time), accompanying the entire school on all the classics - Old MacDonald, Here we go Loop-de-loop, ... . Everyone had a great time.

I'm thinking of getting an Alto Stick for him (really for myself, but you know how that goes) to be his first studied instrument (besides the recorder and harmonica that they teach in elementary school).

His taste in music has turned from the commercial "alternative rock" noise that whines on the airwaves to progressive (KC, Rush, Genesis, some Kansas [I know, not really prog]) The Beatles, he even recognizes Miles when he hears him.

I think I will spend my summer working on Stick transcriptions of Mikrokosmos and Hanon and the like for him to work with. Couldn't hurt my sight-reading skills either...

Paul

Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:24 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Q: How does a Stick player spell "farm"?

A: E-I-E-I-O.

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I used to volunteer to play at my kids' elementary school.

Kindegarten: they were bursting with pride
First grade: "That's my daddy!"
Second grade: "Well yeah... that's my Dad."
Third grade: "Who him? Never have seen him before..."

The little kids are a joy with the innocent enthusiasm they have for music, but by third grade, ubiquitous electronic music has them programmed to believe that only good music comes from ear buds. Bless the ones that keep the wonder for a simple song.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery