It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

Journeys 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Journeys
Hey Brett!

I downloaded your CD, a few days ago and have been listening to it a lot. You really made a great Jazz Stick album. I love all the solo pieces especially "Austin's Song" where you gave the Bass-side a solo and the the Grusin feel "Chrlottesville". The ECM vibe is really their! I think this serves as a completely different flavor of Jazz stick compared to Steve, and is a great listen over and over. Could you tell us about what went into making this album, how you wrote the tunes, etc...
Great job!

10 String BM Tarara Stick #5334
Bergen Norway

Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Journeys
Thanks a lot Steve

You don't know how much I appreciate the input. In essence I set out to make a jazz cd as close to the music I love as I could. The idea was to take a quartet into the studio and just play some tunes. I wanted a raw feel (warts and all) with little or no overdubs. Unfortunately I had only 2 rehearsals so we did the best we could. The solo tracks were recorded the same way at home I gave myself 2 days to record the tracks and only overdubed for extreme clams.

As far as the writing goes I try to write from my head and not the instrument.I go to the stick to figure out how to play it. However I do try to use what tools I have to make it work. For instance I wrote Char;ottesville after going to my first Seminar and hearing Greg play. I wanted to take some "stick music" and make it my own. I had been getting fairly fluent on Autumn Leaves so I borrowed some harmony from there and created something I liked which served a purpose and gave me some changes that I knew I could play over. I really believe in writing out of "need" . In other words we all have our own "voice" and something to say that no one else can say. I try to find that Mojo. What sounds Do I wish to hear when I listen to music? What would I like to hear if I go to a show? from their I just hope it will connect with other people. With that in mind I say again that I REALLY appreciate your encouragement. I made the Cd a year ago so I feel much stronger now as a player. I can't wait to keep playing and growing musically.

Brett

Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Brett,
I just received your CD from SE today and listened to the 1st few tunes on my way to work this evening. (I'm writing from my office) I like it ... very nice jazz. One thing that struck me about the few songs I've heard up until now, the production and your approach was it doesn't sound to me like a "Stick" CD, it sounds like a JAZZ CD. I mean that in the very best possible way. Don't get me wrong, being a Stick player I LOVE "STICK" CD's, Cd's that obviously feature the Stick, but as a musician I also really appreciate the fact that you used the Stick as an instrument to "serve the music" rather then writing music to just showcase the Stick. I look forward to listening to the rest of the CD and really getting to know your music. I wish you played more up north so I could come to one of your shows. Maybe through Dave and Jeff (Jammed) I can get invited to that summer party you always play? (Wanestock or something like that??) In any event great job on your disk and your approach to writing and playing the Stick. Very nice!!!

Ray

PS your band is also great!!!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Tue May 27, 2008 8:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Brett got to listen to the rest of the CD today. Very nice work my friend!!
And I've never heard anyone "exchanging 4s" with themself before! :) Very cool!

Thu May 29, 2008 5:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks so much Ray

yeah, I really set out to make a jazz CD not a "stick" CD. I really love a lot of "stick music" out there, but for me music comes from the same place no matter what instrument I'm playing. The music I hear in my head is always about improv and when I'm with other players I want to hear equal input and expression. Thats just what I love about jazz. So the cd was recorded on a very limited budget and I strove to give it a live feel "warts and all" with very few fixits. I wish you could come to my New Haven green gig on the 15th The quartet is really smokin now and it should be a great show

thanks again
Brett

Thu May 29, 2008 8:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Brett Bottomley wrote:
Thanks so much Ray

yeah, I really set out to make a jazz CD not a "stick" CD. I really love a lot of "stick music" out there, but for me music comes from the same place no matter what instrument I'm playing. The music I hear in my head is always about improv and when I'm with other players I want to hear equal input and expression. Thats just what I love about jazz. So the cd was recorded on a very limited budget and I strove to give it a live feel "warts and all" with very few fixits. I wish you could come to my New Haven green gig on the 15th The quartet is really smokin now and it should be a great show

thanks again
Brett

I'll make it to one of your gigs Brett. Still a little bit of a drive so it'll have to be some weekend when I'm not gigging myself and the wife feels like going away for the weekend.

Thu May 29, 2008 2:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery