It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:59 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Virginia Splendore 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Virginia Splendore
My first exposure to Virna's music was the tune "L'ile Du Jour" which was included on one of the Tappistry compilations. This was one of those tunes that spoke to me immediately and over the years I've dabbled in covering the tune on several occasions but never managed to do it justice. In the years since then, I've gotten to know much more of Virna's music and she has gotten to know mine which resulted in many email exchanges between us. One of my goals was always to get her here to Michigan for one of our seminars.

In 2003, Virna contacted me about an article I'd written about the Rane SP 13 Stick preamp. She found the article very helpful and wanted to work with me on an Italian translation for the Megabass website making sure that the technical details translated correctly. We spent a couple of months shooting emails back and forth at all hours along with some telephone conversations. She was incredibly easy going and it was obvious to me that in addition to her love for music, she also had a great love for passing what she knew onto others.

Virna was a real jewel in our little corner of the music world. We'll miss her!

Thu May 12, 2011 6:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

There is now a tribute page at stick.com.

It's just getting started, there are lots more pics to put up. and videos, too.

If you want to contribute something please do. any time now or in the future.

http://www.stick.com/news/virginia/

Thanks to all for sharing their memories of Virginia. There are some great stories there already.

Thu May 12, 2011 7:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Very sad news. We chatted on Facebook a couple of times but I didn´t know her very well. But I´ve always loved her music. Glad I had the chance to tell her that. Very sad news indeed. RIP Virginia.

Sincerely//Jan

Fri May 13, 2011 12:26 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yesterday we had my Godmothers funeral. She was 90, had a wonderful life, a loving family and a faith that helped her through the hard times. An old family friend said to me how sad it was and I said that I did not feel sad for her as she was ready to go. I had a few small tears and there were some great memories and funny stories from her boys.

Now reading this about Virginia the tears are falling. All us creative types suffer from time to time but mostly we bounce back or don't fall too deep. I can't imagine what she was feeling and sometimes with all the love in the world there is still no way back up. My heart goes out to her family and friends.

Like Greg, if any of you have family or friends who suffer from depression let them know that you think of them.

Fri May 13, 2011 2:27 am
I've been holding out, trying to think of what to say about this sudden loss, it's taken a while for me to get my head around it. I just couldn't believe it to start with.

Virginia, just by her web presence and pictures, seemed to encourage me to play, as if saying quietly, you can do whatever you want on this instrument. Just enjoy yourself doing it....

My heartfelt condolences go out to family and friends. Virginias memory will surely be kept alive by us all.

Sat May 14, 2011 2:14 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jan Laurenz has posted a beautiful tribute song to Virginia on YouTube. The pain on his face is very real and moving.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejpp1nLj7mo[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejpp1nLj7mo

I did not know Virginia. The outpouring of grief from the Stick community is a testament to all of you and I wish I had known her.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sat May 14, 2011 4:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I finally finished editing this piece about Virna last night. I hope those who didn't have the chance to meet her can get a small sense of the person from this. She made a big impression on me as an artist and human being. I'm sorry she was in so much pain that wasn't cared for.

We made the interview seen here together on July 17 to be used for my documentary. She was very supportive of this. After the interview, she enthusiastically offered to come to Los Angeles to help me finish it. How I wish I was smart enough to act on this. All the warning signs were flashing.

She lived in such a unique habitat, high up in the mountains in the remote area of Casaprota, above Rome, almost like a recluse. I thought she was wonderful, sensitive, gentle, giving and focused in our talk. She had just gotten out of a hospital in Italy for a month because of depression. She was so inspired by our interview on Skype. She wrote this to me right afterwards:

"thanks a lot Dan, you can't imagine how good it has been for me to do the interview, it has brought me some fresh air and I felt "with my things" I felt "with me" for a while. It remembered me that I love music. today I am alone again and to stay alone is not good for my status at the moment, but I fight it recalling of yesterday, reminding me that I am a musician, and I can employ my time doing music though I have no gigs.
I hope I'll recovery and I'll have the "push" to take a flight and come to visit you to help you to do your documentary that would be a good cure for me.
love
ciao for now
virna"

The title of her first album was ""Guilty." This is something I will always feel for not acting to help her sooner as a friend.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYFKR8fGIWI[/youtube]

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Sun May 15, 2011 2:18 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

To paraphrase something I read the other day, "would we call someone dead, whose words still touch us and whose sentiments still move us?". No. I think it's fairly obvious that Virna will be remembered, not least as a pioneer in her home country. In my work I regularly meet European travellers, and those who know the Stick often know some of its exponents, including Virginia Splendore.

On Dan's comments above; I feel the need to remind people that depression is an illness. Like heart disease or cancer, the worst outcome can often be prevented, but sometimes that's not the case. We all struggle at some point; financially or in our personal relationships (Virginia's comment in the video about $50 gigs rings all too true!), but that doesn't necessarily make us clinically depressed. It is important to support a loved one who suffers from depression by "being there", but it's crucial for your own health not to feel guilty about things that are ultimately out of your control.

With deepest sympathy,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Sun May 15, 2011 5:02 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Very true Andy. Thanks for that.

"...grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things that I can and the wisdom to know the difference."

who was it who said that?

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Sun May 15, 2011 5:14 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I'm very new to the Stick community, I've only had my stick two months, as an older person I sometimes struggle to retain the information I'm trying to learn. I've seen and listened to some of Virginia's music, the “Soul” of her music comes from her Soul and it has been an inspiration to me.
This tragedy and the lost to the world and the Stick community of this much loved and talented person will now be my inspiration to work harder to do justice to this wonderful instrument that Emmett has given us.
My “day job” as a paramedic exposes me to this type of tragedy over and over again, and we must remember the beauty and wonder of the person we have lost, remember the fun times, the good times, and the memorable times, the pain will ease but the memory will never leave you if you have love in your heart.

To a much love and beautiful person and musician.

Ross

Sun May 15, 2011 6:27 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next