It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Bob Culbertson 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Bob Culbertson
Thanks Locks, I'll try and post links to them as I get them up there, was just a bit rushed with the first one. I've also got some of the tracks recorded as high-quality audio, will find a spot for that too.

Cheers,

EG

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:48 pm

locks wrote:
wise2178 wrote:
Can't find it for some reason. Any chance you got a link?

Josh

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kH0MGWQZNbI

Here it be, my good man.

gracias

Josh

Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:13 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Those hands! Whenever I see him play I notice his hands first. I notice the same thing when I see pro basketball or American football players. I'm not a small man at 6ft., but the really good ones can pick up a basketball with one hand while I can't. I have a feeling that Bob could too. It is not required to have hands like that to be good, but it allows Bob to do some things that I won't ever do. I remember watching Jimi Hendrix live, he had hands like that too. There haven't been many like him since.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

wise2178 wrote:
locks wrote:
wise2178 wrote:
Can't find it for some reason. Any chance you got a link?

Josh

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kH0MGWQZNbI

Here it be, my good man.

gracias

Josh

That was a great clip!!! :)

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

EricTheGray wrote:
Those hands! Whenever I see him play I notice his hands first. I notice the same thing when I see pro basketball or American football players. I'm not a small man at 6ft., but the really good ones can pick up a basketball with one hand while I can't. I have a feeling that Bob could too. It is not required to have hands like that to be good, but it allows Bob to do some things that I won't ever do. I remember watching Jimi Hendrix live, he had hands like that too. There haven't been many like him since.

-Eric

I know you said that it dosen't require hands like that.
Case in point
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-j8Ch5lU5dw&feature=related

Bob is a gifted musician who has WORKED incredibly hard at it. Pat Mertheny once told me that he took 1 year of his life (at MiamiU) and practiced for 12 hours per day to get him to a high level.He said that any great musician needs this kind of dedication. I also agree about the hands and I will include Jaco as a great example. But, it is the command not the size which grabs (no pun intended) me. When I see a great musician it is the total command of the instrument which is startling. Yes guys like Ray Brown, and Bob and Hendrix with large hands tend to draw the eye but anyone can achieve greatness who has off the charts aptitude and works their butt off. For the rest of us working our butts off gets us to our full potential. And that should be all we ask of ourselves.

my 2 cents
Brett

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Brett Bottomley wrote:
Bob is a gifted musician who has WORKED incredibly hard at it.
Brett

Totally right, Brett, and he's been doing it for 30 years. He deserves all the props he gets. time to go practice.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:11 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
Brett Bottomley wrote:
Brett

Totally right, Brett, and he's been doing it for 30 years. He deserves all the props he gets. time to go practice.

I totally agree too, I just notice those hands in addition to noticing how accomplished he is. But, some people are physically gifted and if they work hard they can become masters and inspirations to us all. For me Bob and Greg are both in that category.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

EricTheGray wrote:
greg wrote:
Brett Bottomley wrote:
Brett

I totally agree too, I just notice those hands in addition to noticing how accomplished he is. But, some people are physically gifted and if they work hard they can become masters and inspirations to us all. For me Bob and Greg are both in that category.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I must confess that I've while I've played A LOT, I wouldn't say that I've worked that hard. I'm sure I'd be a much better player if I had, but I find The Stick an easy instrument to play, so it hasn't been that "necessary" in order for me to do what I wanted to do with it.

I find when I do practice with some intensity, things improve quickly. So I'd say, don't be intimidated by what you want to accomplish. Dig in and see where it takes you.

Clearly Bob's put in much more time on learning the pieces he plays than I have, and it shows in his mastery of the music he's chosen to play, which on many levels is much more difficult than what I play, I think.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

EricTheGray wrote:
Those hands! Whenever I see him play I notice his hands first. I notice the same thing when I see pro basketball or American football players. I'm not a small man at 6ft., but the really good ones can pick up a basketball with one hand while I can't. I have a feeling that Bob could too.

-Eric

Having met Bob on several occasions, and even sharing a table and dinner with him and Lee Vatip (Ann Arbor, Ethiopian food, we all ate from the same plate!!!!), I can tell you something about Bob that may not be evident from watching him play. At 6' 1", I have to look up to see him. I would guess he is at least 6' 4". :D

What I want to see is some footage of him playing the Frisbee guitar, :D Apparently, at one time he was the National Freestyle Frisbee Champion, and had a guitar designed like a frisbee that he could play, but also manipulate like a frisbee, :lol: Even if all there is are pictures, I have been wanting to see what a guitar like that would look like, exactly, ever since hearing about it. Anyone have any?

Jim

10 String Paduak, PASV4, MR, #4858
12 String Bamboo, Stickup, MR, #5550

Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:29 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

So the mans' a monster both in ability and stature.

10 String BM Tarara Stick #5334
Bergen Norway

Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next