It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:02 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 King Crimson 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: King Crimson
robmartino wrote:
rob5280 wrote:
Don't forget to check out Sylvian/Fripp Damage along your way through the KC catalog.

Absolutely- this is actually my favorite Fripp related project. For some reason the studio album The First Day doesn't do much for me (somewhat clinical sounding) but the live album Damage is easily one of my top 10 albums. Trey Gunn does some great bass work on the Stick.

For me the definitive account of the 70s version of the band is the Great Deceiver live box set- I feel it actually obsoletes the "studio" albums (given that some of those had live segments). The performances on this set are incredibly intense and powerful, unlike any other rock album I've ever heard.

I quite like The Power to Believe and Thrak- they blend some of the heavy power of the 70s group with the intricate polyrhythm stuff of the 80s. Didn't fare so well with Construcktion of Light - it's so electronic and cold sounding (and Prozac Blues such an awful song it actually manages to taint the rest of the album!) that I ended up letting it go.

Exactly the same for me.
And I do love the last studio album too, they Threw on it some Tool flavour in it (I think they toured with this band and they may be a bit influenced during the recording of the album).
But, all in all, I think every album in which Adrian Belew is involved is a nice album ;)

Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

robmartino wrote:
Didn't fare so well with Construcktion of Light - it's so electronic and cold sounding (and Prozac Blues such an awful song it actually manages to taint the rest of the album!) that I ended up letting it go.

Get the live set Heavy ConstruKction; it redeems The ConstruKction of Light quite nicely. Except that the "Larks' Tongues part IV" coda still sucks, but that's the fault of Belew's lyrics.

It's also got a great version of "Three of a Perfect Pair" played by Belew solo, and a full disc of improvisations (which is marred only slightly by including a recording of Fripp being a prat about confiscating somebody's camera.)

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:57 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Speaking of KC, the first of the Steven Wilson 5.1 remixes are out.

2 Disc sets, @$20 ea, remix on CD, DTS 5.1 and PCM Stereo on DVD

Court and Red, supposed to be nice, I'll let you know how they sound.

Can't wait for Discipline!

Lee

Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:40 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

LJones wrote:
Speaking of KC, the first of the Steven Wilson 5.1 remixes are out.

2 Disc sets, @$20 ea, remix on CD, DTS 5.1 and PCM Stereo on DVD

Court and Red, supposed to be nice, I'll let you know how they sound.

Can't wait for Discipline!

Lee

(old man voice) I remember when those newfangled compact disc things came out...the first one I bought was Starless and Bible Black. After years of listening to the scratchy and poppy lp and then cassette of that same scratchy and poppy LP, it was like I'd had all the wax cleaned out of my ears. The sound of Brufords's snare on Fracture was just amazing.

KCs music was dynamic enough to really take advantage of the new format, even without a lot of "remastering". The fact that much of this album was recorded live in concert is also a pretty amazing statement about the band as performers. It's still my favorite of theirs.

Curious, how is the 5.1 decoded on a CD? or are the CDs just a stereo remix?

Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Greg,

I think it is the same thing SW has been doing with Porcupine Tree.

2 Disc set, 1 CD, 1 DVD

The DVD has the PCM stereo, and the DTS 5.1 mixes.

All the SW 5.1 mixes I have heard are very nice, and the PCM stereo mixes are headphone heaven.

Lee

Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:46 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I have to jump in to represent what seems to be a forgotten chapter in KC history, with Mel Collins ripping it up on Sax and Boz singing. Islands is a great record, and hearing Collins live on Sailors Tale, and Formentera Lady, plus their live funk jams always brings a smile to my face and movement to my soul... The second Cirkus cd has all of it live...
Don't miss this era...
And beat is essential for Stick listening IMO... Some of the best riffs on Stick ever done... (Waiting Man!!!)

Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:49 am

Listen to ALL of King Crimson, over...and over...and over...and over again...

Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

schizoidman wrote:
Listen to ALL of King Crimson, over...and over...and over...and over again...

I carried it around with me for years and years.
Playing little games
Like not listening at it for a whole day
And then.. listening at it.
To see if I still liked it.
I did.

Cheers, Daniel

PS: Sorry I couldn't resist :D

Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:51 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Starless and Larks.

Ooooh, but Discipline is the first one I heard (I was like 12 or something and scratching the hell out of my older brother's prog records). That one's really special too.

k

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:57 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

JaphletBA wrote:
I have to jump in to represent what seems to be a forgotten chapter in KC history, with Mel Collins ripping it up on Sax and Boz singing. Islands is a great record, and hearing Collins live on Sailors Tale, and Formentera Lady, plus their live funk jams always brings a smile to my face and movement to my soul... The second Cirkus cd has all of it live...
Don't miss this era...
)

Yo Japhlet

Thanks for the reminder. The first time I heard this record (the original vinyl release was called Earthbound), I couldn't believe it. Horrible bootleg sound quality, unbelievably brilliant playing. Mel Collins solo on "Schizoid Man" is truly amazing.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:06 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next