It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

The Battles 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: The Battles
mike.hoegeman wrote:
in the ecm parallel math universe is nik bartsch's ronin which i really like
anything w/ contra bass clarinet is almost required to rock :-)

This band has been one of my favorite discoveries of the last year. If you have the opportunity to see them live, do so!
You can really tell that they have been playing together for years. The band plays like a swiss clockwork (well, they are from Switzerland) with incredible discipline, but at the same time they have a really nice groove going.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:31 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

My band played a show with Don Caballero last year, and I was surprised how badly those guys have gone downhill... I loved their second album, but a steady downhill spiral after that. My opinion.

Battles, featuring the dude from the second Don Cab album, tries (struggles?) to catch the vibe of that album. I like them OK, but not astonishing.

Tera Melos, Hella, and some others in that niche slay their predecessors... again, my opinion.

I love Dysrhythmia's new album "Psychic Maps". I almost hope Colin doesn't take time away from that band to reform Behold... the Arctopus.

Lots of cool bands in Brooklyn right now: Zs, Zona Mexicana, Monster Machismo, Dysrhythmia, Extra Life, etc. all slaying it in a big, big way.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:42 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Extra Life is an interesting mix. Thanks!

I would assume there is some strong influence from the 70's RIO (Rock In Opposition) movement. There are a lot of bands taking RIO off into new directions.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery