It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

How do you get creative ideas out of your head? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: How do you get creative ideas out of your head?
Captain Strings wrote:
I usually don't wake up and sing my dreams into it because music doesn't come to me like that. It comes with an instrument in my hands.
Me, too, Michael. My tunes come to me with an instrument in my hands, even if it's just a mouse, sliding samples and MIDI notes around. (I call it "mouse music," although it makes me think of Disney tunes!)

Vocals come to me while singing, especially in the car while driving, but that's still "an instrument in my hands" even if it's my mouth and not my hands.

Now, when it comes to writing literature as opposed to music, I get THOSE creative ideas all the time, but cellphones are great for jotting down notes and story ideas. But I don't do much fiction writing anymore, and although creative energy is limitless, time, unfortunately, is not. I spent my time writing music and not science fiction anymore, and I'm okay with that. I spent a good chunk of my life doing both and doing writing and teaching English and not much music at all, and I must say, I get more satisfaction from the music. And now I get off on spending my creative energy making fractals, music to go with them, and then write up little sci-fi scenarios to explain them, like my Temples of Sphere Inks series, that imagines a fractal world and stargates and all sorts of science-fictiony things.

And Michael, until you mentioned it, I really hadn't thought of it that way before but I rarely make up music without an instrument. I'm TOTALLY not a "paper composer," or someone who writes music in their head and puts it to paper.

As for getting your ideas out to the world, cell phones rule for ideas. Kirk Hammett has put years of riffs onto his iphone.....until he lost it and several hundred riffs:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/kirk-h ... ica-album/
KIRK HAMMETT Lost His Phone Containing 250 Musical Ideas For Next METALLICA Album
Quote:
Kirk: "I put riffs on my iPhone, but something very unfortunate happened to me about six months ago. I lost my iPhone [containing] two hundred and fifty musical ideas. And I was crushed. It didn't get backed up. And when it happened, I was bummed out for about two or three days. I walked into the house. My wife saw me and she said, 'Uh-oh, what's wrong? Did you get a phone call from a relative?' I said, 'No.' She said, 'What's going on?' I told her, and she understood.

"I lost [the phone]. I just plain lost it. I can't find it. I'm still looking for it to this day. I just set it somewhere and… It still might turn up. I'm hoping it will. To try to remember those riffs…? I can only remember, like, eight of 'em. So I just chalked it down to maybe it just wasn't meant to be and I'll just move forward with it.

"For me, music comes at all times of the day. When I get a riff, sometimes it's a complete riff and I can just play it and there it is, sometimes it's half a riff and I have to tweak it. Sometimes it's just a rhythm or a note selection. Or sometimes it's just something that I hum in my head. But it can come from anywhere, and I put it on my phone, and I make sure the phone is fucking backed up.

"All you musicians out there who use your phone, make sure it's backed up. Right?!

"And, you know, we get together and we jam [the ideas] out. And, you know, one riff leads to another riff, which leads to another, and, all of a sudden, you have somewhat of a skeleton of an arrangement, and you just jam on it and pound it out, talk about it — talk about what you would like to hear, where you would like to see it go. I mean, there's so many possibilities that you can do with it. For us, it's more so what we choose not to do with a piece of music, because there's so much you can do with it. We just wanna do the right thing with the music, the right approach and the right arrangement to any sort of riff or chord progression or melody."

Geoshred sounds cool by the way. I'll check that out!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Skydiver wrote:
So I got GeoShred on my iPhone.
It works perfectly for me. I only need melody side, 4 strings, since that is where the majority of my ideas, melody lines/hooks. I set up my interface so that it's the area that I usually put my hand, 12th fret area, and big enough "pads" that I can fit my fingers. I think I could fit more "strings", so if you are looking for melody side of 10 or 12 string it should be possible. It's pretty limited range because it's on the iPhone but it's enough for me to get started and get my ideas down.

I don't have a way to record the ideas on my iPhone just yet... Does anyone know how I may be able to do it?

At least it will get my ideas out of my head...

GarageBand, dude!

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:06 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

paigan0 wrote:
I must say, I get more satisfaction from the music.

"Music is the answer. Does the question really matter?" - Snuffy Walden, Muscian -
Don't know where I got that quote, or who he is. Just happened to open one of my "writing" notebooks today, and there it was. Seems appropriate.
Dean, I still have a flip-phone, hence the H2!

Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Skydiver wrote:
I don't have a way to record the ideas on my iPhone just yet... Does anyone know how I may be able to do it?

GarageBand, dude!

I didn't know it will accept sounds from other apps in the phone. I just tried it and I should be able to make it work. Unfortunately I am low on memory and can't record anything right now... I will have to dump some things to make it work... It's a work phone so I have to work with what I have...

Thanks Jayesskerr!

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Skydiver wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
Skydiver wrote:

GarageBand, dude!

I didn't know it will accept sounds from other apps in the phone. I just tried it and I should be able to make it work. Unfortunately I am low on memory and can't record anything right now... I will have to dump some things to make it work... It's a work phone so I have to work with what I have...

Thanks Jayesskerr!

No prob, man! Glad I could help!

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:26 pm