It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:51 pm

What are you listening to? And WHY???? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post What are you listening to? And WHY????
Okay so you don't need to justify your listening. But.......if you dig it tell us why?

Me? Mile seven steps to heaven why? Victor Feldman beauty set against the future quintet greatness in transition!!!

Bach Cantata 54. Why that first crazy complex chord and it's development. I mean Bach wrote more than250 of these "Bible selections set to music" there is no way he knew folks in 2017 would be digging what he was writing. He did it as the greatest guy ever doing his thing...knocks me out!!!

So what are you listening to???

Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: What are you listening to? And WHY????
I just downloaded Jacob Coliers In My Room. I love take 6 style singing. These arrangements s he did are killer. Harmonically complex and his sense of rhythm. Septuplets quintuples and others. Always something to surprise and delight. Someone posted about him on the forum and I've been hooked ever since. Quincy Jones can't be wrong about this young genius.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:17 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Metallica - Hardwired to Self Destruct Because it's Metallica and it totally rocks. Yeaaahhh F***in' Metallica... lol
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours Because Fleetwood Mac is totally awesome, The whole band cooks here... Awesome songs, great playing all around.
Chris Poland - Return To Metalopolis Shreddy, yet fusiony yet metally... It's a lot of fun, and Chris is an absolute monster.
Usher - Confessions Usher is an amazing singer, and this record is a production masterpiece. Fat beats, cool arrangements, boss vocals...
Derek Trucks Band - Songlines Derek is not human, he has a musical voice that has been touched by angels.
The Kongos - Egomaniac Fun tunes, really excellent. I just like it.
Glenn Gould - Bach 2 Part Inventions I'm obsessed wth these, they are awesome.
Soundgarden - Superunknown 'Cause it's Soundgarden and it rocks.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:58 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Love the passion man!!!

On the Glenn Gould inventions does the recording quality ever bother you? He only recorded these onc that I know of and early, I just wish there was a later interpretation a la the Goldberg

Brett

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

on my northern europe stoner rock binge:

Samsara Blues Experiment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDEex-tPhts

Casa Sui
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=077OT7EsFi8

And, from pure USA, Earthless...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhW0sVly4Gc&t=26s

WHY?
because I just love really tight, creative jam bands.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Robin Trower -Time and Emotion
Because his last 5 or 6 albums have been amazingly soulful. He's continued to be a creative artist into his 70's. Hasn't lost a note in those fingers.

Hot Rize, Bill Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs, etc.
I'm deep into building solid bluegrass chops on mandolin. If you've never tried to play it, bluegrass is much harder than it may seem, especially if you want to be competent in every key.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:00 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Iron Maiden
Metallica (the good era+hardwired)
Megadeth
Slayer
queen
pink floyd (the good days)
etc etc

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:37 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

TajMo (Taj Mahal/Keb Mo)
Issa Bagayogo
Tony Allen
Habib Koite'
Vue Faka Toure'
Fela Kuti
Weather Report
Nguyen Le'
Sixun
John McLaughlin
King Crimson
Trey Gunn
Greg Howard

In my quest to develop my own voice on the Stick, I gravitate toward a lot of African players and African stringed instruments. They all have interesting pentatonic patterns that weave into the rhythm of drums and percussion. I have always been a HUGE fan of Weather Report as well.... both the compositions and Zawinul's playing. They always had the baddest bass players as well. Listening to King Crimson, Trey Gunn and Greg Howard give me a "rootedness" in technique and flow of the instrument as well.

Last edited by rclere on Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:33 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

On loop in my car:
- Andy Salvanos
- Rob Gellner
- James Taylor

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:55 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

bachdois wrote:
On loop in my car:
- Andy Salvanos
- Rob Gellner
- James Taylor
That's hilarious, Rodrigo! I've got Andy and one Rob tune AND the James Taylor on my phone (but JT is on a different playlist). I've got Brian Baggett's Warfare on that same Stickist playlist with Rob, Andy, and Brian. Was listening to it this morning. I think there's two Andy albums on there though. And Jeremy Cubert's last one is on there, but not his new one (plug for Secret Martyr's Club, which is next on my list to pick up).

And me. I'll admit I've been listening to myself in the car on the way to work. Best stereo system in the house, and a sanity check on the mixing. I apparently have an hour's worth of original music this last year, of which 3 tracks are SINKERR tunes with Scott Kerr, 4 tunes are rocking tunes with just me and the 3 Sticks and keyboards and percussion, 4 are electronic tunes I call "mouse music" because I'm only using a mouse, and 4 tracks are my New Age Progressive stuff (mainly piano, or piano and strings). 15 songs this year and about an hour and two minutes long.

Not a bit of the new stuff is released, and it's just a mix-tape CD at the moment that I make my friends and co-workers listen to. My daughter (almost 15) actually likes one of my dance tunes, so I'm pretty excited about that. If I do a couple more SINKERR tunes, Scott and I can figure out how to push that out to the world, but 3 good tunes so far. I'm putting any and every new tune I do into fractal animation videos, so nothing's being "wasted," but not otherwise distributed outside of SoundCloud.

That's what was in last week's rides to and from work, on the phone and the CD player. I'm gonna pick up Jeremy's new one and rock out on that one soon!

Shoot--almost forgot. Where's that new GEPH album? It's like been a week or two already since you guys raised all that money. Where's my CD????!!! (I'm totally kidding. Take your time and rock that shit out good! :twisted: )

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:49 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery