It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 King Crimson "Discipline" 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: King Crimson "Discipline"
I won't lie, that's a cool piece of music. Thanks, dudes.

I am thinking I am literally the only guy who owns a Stick who never really listened to King Crimson before.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:13 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I have to admit when "Discipline" first came out I was addicted to it. But it really didn't draw me to the Stick. It wasn't until we had no bass player and I was the only guitarist at my church that I started looking at it.

But I have to say after watching "The Stick Men" live, I can't believe I don't have any of Tony's work in my music collection (I will fix this now)!
He comes from a totally different perspective on Stick than what I would call "mainstream" players. Watching and hearing him in a live scenario was really over the top! Markus on Touch Guitar is also a whole nother universe his lead lines were amazing, he was also using his "Acoustic" model. Clean sounds were amazing on that thing.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:

I am thinking I am literally the only guy who owns a Stick who never really listened to King Crimson before.
I swear to you that I've never heard a King Crimson song in my entire life (until just an hour ago with "Matte Kudasai"), and this is after knowing that Tony Levin is a huge and "famous" Stick player. I hear that King Crimson is prog rock, the proggiest kind, and I'm (usually) down with that.

I knew one asshole guitar player from decades ago who loved King Crimson. His taste in music was otherwise pretty shitty, so I've always actively avoided them, making them guilty by association. I'm sure that that was misguided and hurting me more than King Crimson or my guitar "friend" (who loved anything that no one had ever heard of before--yeah, a "hipster," with shitty taste!) But you're not alone there, Scott! :oops:

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

+1. Coming from the guitar, I fell into the tapping world by way of Stanley Jordan. At that time, I had never heard of King Crimson, Tony Levin, the Chapman Stick, or Emmett himself. In 1994, I saw an ad for the Stick in a guitar mag, and thus began the magnificent obsession. I was a broke kid working crappy jobs, so my father did me the greatest kindness ever by buying me my first Stick, ironwood #745.

While waiting for the instrument, I bought some Stick CDs through SE so I could hear examples of its potential. The King Crimson album "Thrak" was among them. Stylistically, it wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but the things Tony and Trey were pulling off on their Sticks was just amazing. The album a!so yielded one of the most beautiful songs I'd ever heard; the ethereal, Orbison-esque "Walking on Air." Good memories.

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:03 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:

You're not alone. Someone I know once introduced me to another musician in his band and told him I played Stick. For the next half hour he tried discussing his favorite albums by KC with me. Didn't have a clue what he was talking about. Tried telling him I'm not familiar with those albums, but it didn't work. The only album I had was Thrak, which I bought on cassette sometime in the 1990's after reading an interview with Tony Levin in a magazine. From my perspective KC was a very obscure band that no one I knew listened to, and never heard on radio. I am rather curious about how people found out about them before the internet. For me it was just reading Tony Levin and Trey Gunn interviews in magazines. With Levin's huge resume, interviews with him that I read never really focused just on KC. I bought the Thrak album as I was curious to hear some Stick solos and with Trey Gunn on it, I'd get to hear another instrument like it as well. At times it can be a bit embarrassing when someone who is not a Stick player assumes I'm a die-hard KC fan just because I play Stick. The usual question that often comes up is what era of KC do I like best - which I can't answer even to this day. Most of what I know about KC nowadays comes off this forum. There's a ton of old music I'm also finding out about after getting Sirius FM in my Ford Escape, and on some occasions, KC is played.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:36 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

MichNS wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:

From my perspective KC was a very obscure band that no one I knew listened to, and never heard on radio. I am rather curious about how people found out about them before the internet. For me it was just reading Tony Levin and Trey Gunn interviews in magazines.

I actually grew up listening to a lot of "avant garde" music via my brother. He and his friends were into music of all genres' so I thank him for exposing me to the music of Zappa, King Crimson, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Weather Report. These were the early albums like "Court of the Crimson King", Greg lake was phenomenal on that album and you can sort of catch a glimpse of where ELP got its sound from in my opinion on this album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHJ7An2CMB4

Later when Discipline and a new line up came out for King Crimson, I remember it making a big splash actually and did have a lot of buzz around it. In fact King Crimson even made it onto many popular late night shows like "Fridays" and some others. Definitely not mainstream for sure but it did enjoy some time in the spotlight!

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Yeah, I'm older. I was into Crimson WAY before the Stick. Like I said previously, even though i was into the many incarnations, the Bruford, Cross, Fripp, Muir, Wetton assemblage took the top of my head off. Total muscular elecytric improvisation. Oh, and the live compilation of this brutal band (minus Muir) is called The Great Deceiver. John Wetton pushed the amplified bass to the limits during this period in my opinion.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

MichNS wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:

You're not alone. Someone I know once introduced me to another musician in his band and told him I played Stick. For the next half hour he tried discussing his favorite albums by KC with me. Didn't have a clue what he was talking about. Tried telling him I'm not familiar with those albums, but it didn't work. The only album I had was Thrak, which I bought on cassette sometime in the 1990's after reading an interview with Tony Levin in a magazine. From my perspective KC was a very obscure band that no one I knew listened to, and never heard on radio. I am rather curious about how people found out about them before the internet. For me it was just reading Tony Levin and Trey Gunn interviews in magazines. With Levin's huge resume, interviews with him that I read never really focused just on KC. I bought the Thrak album as I was curious to hear some Stick solos and with Trey Gunn on it, I'd get to hear another instrument like it as well. At times it can be a bit embarrassing when someone who is not a Stick player assumes I'm a die-hard KC fan just because I play Stick. The usual question that often comes up is what era of KC do I like best - which I can't answer even to this day. Most of what I know about KC nowadays comes off this forum. There's a ton of old music I'm also finding out about after getting Sirius FM in my Ford Escape, and on some occasions, KC is played.

I think that's where the term "ProgHole" comes from...
;)

Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

randy wrote:
MichNS wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:

I think that's where the term "ProgHole" comes from...
;)

What the heck is a "ProgHole"? And yeah, although I like KC more than I did before, I'd probably rather listen to Dolly Parton or Steve Morse or Soundgarden... I'm getting there, but KC is weird stuff, I gotta do it in small doses... I knew of Tony Levin of course, but I always thought he was just a bass player, y'know.. 'cause he's always playing bass! Hehe

I thought Trey Gunn was a Stick guy for the King Crimson stuff?

Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:59 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

heartstrings wrote:
+1. Coming from the guitar, I fell into the tapping world by way of Stanley Jordan. At that time, I had never heard of King Crimson, Tony Levin, the Chapman Stick, or Emmett himself. In 1994, I saw an ad for the Stick in a guitar mag, and thus began the magnificent obsession. I was a broke kid working crappy jobs, so my father did me the greatest kindness ever by buying me my first Stick, ironwood #745.

While waiting for the instrument, I bought some Stick CDs through SE so I could hear examples of its potential. The King Crimson album "Thrak" was among them. Stylistically, it wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but the things Tony and Trey were pulling off on their Sticks was just amazing. The album a!so yielded one of the most beautiful songs I'd ever heard; the ethereal, Orbison-esque "Walking on Air." Good memories.

See, Stanley is someone I am pretty familiar with! I feel like he's really taken tapping to extremes. And with only 6 strings! Probably as good or better than anyone else doing that, really...

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:02 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next