It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

Griegsgraber's Unnamed Lands is excellent 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Griegsgraber's Unnamed Lands is excellent
I was hoping Unnamed Lands would be good, and it is. Really good, in fact it is excellent.

Being a lifelong fan of early Frisell, Andy Summers and the like, this crosses over really nicely. Not that I am comparing it to them, as this album defies comparison, it's just a natural fit for me.

It is also a concept album, which can be a slippery slope. The subject matter, the content and the way in which it is presented is superior. Tom Griegsgraber is not only a fine Stick player, he is an excellent songwriter, sound technician and producer. Truly an artist of the craft in so many ways.

If you are only pulling down the MP3s, you are not going to be able to full appreciate this album. It stands without comparison in the catalog of Chapman Stick albums. Reading along with the liner notes while listening to the music is something I haven't done in a long, long time. If you had Nillson's The Point, you know what I am talking about - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Point!

Thank you for this excellent piece of work Tom and Bert. I can hardly wait to read along and listen with my daughters, just like I used to do with Nillson's The Point as a kid with my sister.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Griegsgraber's Unnamed Lands is excellent
Well I can't wait to hear it, but alas I'm one of the 6 cheapskates who only pledged enough for the mp3s and I haven't received a download link for them, even though I expected to be listening to it before the CD shipped...

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:36 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

enrique wrote:
... though I expected to be listening to it before the CD shipped...

The CDs some of us are getting are pre-release and signed. It really is a beautiful work. I hope it is a huge success for them and it will be worth the wait.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I got mine in the mail a few days ago and it has supplanted Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited 2 in my car... although that is a fantastic album as well.

It is interesting to listen to Unnamed Lands and try to envision a trek across unspoiled and wild areas of America before it was all chopped down and paved over. It is a musical and visual treat.

Charles Hettinger - New Stick Player in Allentown, PA

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery