It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Stick/trumpet/African percussion trio July 6 Charlottesville 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Stick/trumpet/African percussion trio July 6 Charlottesville
Next Friday, I'll be performing with two of my long-time musical partners, Darrell Rose and John D'earth. If you are within driving distance and looking for a unique musical experience, I hope you'll come by.

http://www.greghoward.com/concerts/

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Stick/trumpet/African percussion trio July 6 Charlottesv
Dang. Going to Poplar Forest to sell soap (in period clothing) on the 3rd, 4th. To Charlottesville eve of 4th and 5th. Will miss meeting (and harassing) you by one day. We'll get there one day, dude.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:24 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

K Rex wrote:
Dang. Going to Poplar Forest to sell soap (in period clothing) on the 3rd, 4th. To Charlottesville eve of 4th and 5th. Will miss meeting (and harassing) you by one day. We'll get there one day, dude.

Kev
Sorry to miss you, Kevin. C-Ville is a special place to be on the 4th, they have a huge naturalization ceremony at Monticello for new citizens every year, and drape a gigantic American flag on the bridge which we drive under every day.

I think my next gig in town will be a fundraiser for the local Democratic Party, so I don't suppose I'll see you at that one either ;)

Every year around this time I like to read a book about the Revolutionary War period. this year I'm re-reading McCullough's 1776 for the first time, a pretty inspiring tract. If you haven't already done so, check it out.

On the 4th I'll be celebrating my two-handed independence at home, jamming with the kids.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Nope, I''l be avoiding ALL political fundraisers for the foreseeable future. But I'm glad you care about our country, that's good. Last I heard, democrats like good beer, too. And that's OK with me.

... Although, you never really know. It does sound like a whole lot of fun to crash a democratic fundraiser... hmmmmm.... :)

I loved 1776. One of Maureen's favorites, and we enjoy it on audiobook as well. See you soon.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:51 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

just a bump:

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Any music from this you'd care to share w/ us, Greg?

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
Any music from this you'd care to share w/ us, Greg?

I set up a camera and made a casual video, but I haven't had a spare minute to look at it, though the music was really great in my memory....

On October 12, I'll be doing a similar trio show, but this time with an amazing drummer named Brian Caputo. It will be the first time the three of us will be performing together, and sometimes there can be a real spark, so I will definitely record that one.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Perhaps I'll record it for you. Maureen and I planned to go up that way near my birthday, very near that date. Face it, Greg. Your harassment at my hands is imminent. I'd prefer to hear you play with a drum kit, in any case... so this works for me.

So, dude... about this fundraiser... are you really pulling for Obama? Of course, I understand there isn't a fabulous alternative, but, I mean, you're gonna go raise money for that guy?

Please understand that I'm only bringing it up again so I can get it out of the way and we can talk about nice things like art, literature and music when we meet. I'm only joking joking about the harassment. Sort of. I won't harass you. Much. Promise.

But, why Obama? Could it be just any democrat?

By the way, Poplar Forest was cool. Didn't know it was totally empty, devoid of furnishings and that it was privately owned up until the late 70's and left to rot due to lack of funding until very recently. We hauled our lamb, Daphne, up there to be our mascot while we demonstrated spinning, weaving, etc. The woman in charge of the grounds let her stay in her crate in her office! Daphne is a sweetheart. With a tarp underneath, no one could tell she was even there. 100 degrees, long, tight wool socks, pantaloon-type thingy and long muslin shirt. Oh, yeah. It was fun. The beer was good by the pool that night.

Missed you in C'ville. Will put the 12th on my calendar.

Kev

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:02 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

K Rex wrote:
Perhaps I'll record it for you. Maureen and I planned to go up that way near my birthday, very near that date. Face it, Greg. Your harassment at my hands is imminent. I'd prefer to hear you play with a drum kit, in any case... so this works for me.

So, dude... about this fundraiser... are you really pulling for Obama? Of course, I understand there isn't a fabulous alternative, but, I mean, you're gonna go raise money for that guy?

Hi Kevin,

At the risk of turning yet another thread about music into something else, we were raising money specifically for John Douglass's congressional campaign. How much it has to do with Obama is tangential.

I'm not interested in getting into a debate on the positions of our current congressman, but I disagree with most of his votes, so I don't feel like he represents my views.

Hearing Douglass speak, I'm struck by the fact that he's a reasonable guy, has a lot of perspective on how things work, and is old enough to not want to be a senator, etc, down the road. He's a farmer, not a lawyer (like my current congressman) So while he may be a long-shot, I'd like to see him in there, and he's pretty badly underfunded.

I'd be happy to meet you at this or any other gig, but please understand that I can be brutally anti-social while setting up, trying to remember what goes where.... ;)

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Fair enough. He sounds good, not knowing anything about charlottesville politics I'll be sure to research him. Some farmers good, some farmers very bad. I'd be interested to find out where he stands on related issues. I have no political affiliation, and I vote for ideas, not letters or people. Obviously, I have a real problem with Obama.

Sorry to derail the thread... Being quite antisocial myself, and having played many gigs where "that guy" did his best to distract me from my job, I have a keen awareness of when the appropriate time to speak to an onstage musician actually is.

In other words, I'll speak to you when you're free, if you're free. I have a Ron Paul 2016 poster I want you to sign. ;)

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:36 pm