It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:38 pm

10 to 12 string 
Contributor
Contributor

Post 10 to 12 string
Just ordered the last Graphite Grand Stick in production. Yuta Chapman said there will be no more Graphite models. I have always played a 10 string model and was wondering if anyone has had any difficulty making the switch to 12 string Thanks Dean

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:38 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: 10 to 12 string
RINGMOD1 wrote:
Just ordered the last Graphite Grand Stick in production. Yuta Chapman said there will be no more Graphite models. I have always played a 10 string model and was wondering if anyone has had any difficulty making the switch to 12 string Thanks Dean

The only difficulty with my 12 string graphite grand is waiting for the order to fill (maybe mine is the 2nd to last one to be made!!) Stick-NO-Phobia to the max.

Congrats on your (soon to be RARE) new Stick!!

www.cliffordmarshallvanburen.com
www.youtube.com/user/DoubleBassDrumMusic
www.facebook.com/CliffordMarshallVanBuren

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:49 pm
Contributor
Contributor

No more Graphite Sticks? Does anybody know why? I just got mine in May and it's awesome, can't imagine why they'd stop making them.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:28 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Don't know why but Yuta Chapman told me they will not be making anymore and whatever they have in stock will be the last of them. I am not sure of any other Graphite Sticks but she said I got the last 12 string.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:02 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

They might be gearing up for production of the Railboard, although I have no proof of that.

I have tried moving to a 12 string on two occasions, but found that I prefer the 10-string. I have also tried moving to a baritone melody from a standard melody, but found that I am hardcoded for 10-string full baritone.

JRJ on the other hand moved from 10 to 12 and loves it! His style is able to make excellent use of the extra strings, redundancy and that whole interwoven hands blah-blah-blah.

If you ask Emmett, he will encourage changing your tuning every few years as this will encourage you to play in different keys, use alternate forms, more or less forcing the experimentation - in a good way. A great way to grow your fretboard knowledge.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I got the last 10 string graphite with linear inlays...

I'm planning on having it setup deep baritone melody..

Gene, .... You got my interest when you mentioned "full baritone"

I can't imagine that low bass string tuned even lower! :o

earthgene wrote:
They might be gearing up for production of the Railboard, although I have no proof of that.

I have tried moving to a 12 string on two occasions, but found that I prefer the 10-string. I have also tried moving to a baritone melody from a standard melody, but found that I am hardcoded for 10-string full baritone.

JRJ on the other hand moved from 10 to 12 and loves it! His style is able to make excellent use of the extra strings, redundancy and that whole interwoven hands blah-blah-blah.

If you ask Emmett, he will encourage changing your tuning every few years as this will encourage you to play in different keys, use alternate forms, more or less forcing the experimentation - in a good way. A great way to grow your fretboard knowledge.

10 string Nickle Plasma Railboard #6974 MR tuning.

http://www.randomfaktor.com

Last edited by glennfin on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:54 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ringmod,

if you played Baritone Melody on your 10 string, then switching to Classic 6+6, you'll find that you have the Baritone Melody, plus extended ranges on the outer two strings for higher notes and extended voicings. It was a breeze to switch to 12 string Grand this way. Also, I believe Emmett respaced the strings for easier play and less double stops ( when people were hitting two strings at once) it was very natural to transition.

Congratulations on the Graphite- very stable and a unique sound. Be prepared for the weight, not the wait! although that's a tough part too!

hope this helps,
Dave Brosky

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey Glenn! The Full Baritone was a tuning that Emmett came up with back in the early 90's. It was the introduction of the standard tuning down a 4th in the melody side, which was widely adopted, but the other half of it involved tuning the bass side up a full step to an open D (C# with xFret).

I set up my 34" Paduak 10 string with this tuning and have used it ever since. Emmett found that the majority of players wanted the benefits of the melody side Baritone tuning, but that they did want to sacrifice that full step in the bass side. The Baritone Melody tuning was born! Alas, the Full Baritone tuning is now a custom set of strings.

Medium gauge Baritone, per Emmett via Cambria, uses the same gauges in the bass side as it does in the Standard tuning. Although I recall back in the day it used a lighter gauge.

When Emmett announced the Railboard back at the So Cal Stick seminar, he also announced that he was using a new tuning - Raised Matched Reciprocal. He has reverted to tuning the bass side to D (open C#). So, same tuning as Baritone in Bass, but up a half step in the melody side.

Geez, there is the sordid history of the full baritone tuning.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Gene;

Lets see if I can understand this..... in "Full Baritone", the bass side is tuned up to a whole step from standard classic (C) to (D) (lowest bass string) , and the melody is the same as baritone melody?

It's called "full baritone" but the bass is raised, not lowered.... ok, that's weird........

Maybe I'll change my order (again :roll: ) to the Full Baritone bass (D on lowest bass string) and Deep baritone on the melody side.

........... and this is a custom string set...

earthgene wrote:
Hey Glenn! The Full Baritone was a tuning that Emmett came up with back in the early 90's. It was the introduction of the standard tuning down a 4th in the melody side, which was widely adopted, but the other half of it involved tuning the bass side up a full step to an open D (C# with xFret).

I set up my 34" Paduak 10 string with this tuning and have used it ever since. Emmett found that the majority of players wanted the benefits of the melody side Baritone tuning, but that they did want to sacrifice that full step in the bass side. The Baritone Melody tuning was born! Alas, the Full Baritone tuning is now a custom set of strings.

Medium gauge Baritone, per Emmett via Cambria, uses the same gauges in the bass side as it does in the Standard tuning. Although I recall back in the day it used a lighter gauge.

When Emmett announced the Railboard back at the So Cal Stick seminar, he also announced that he was using a new tuning - Raised Matched Reciprocal. He has reverted to tuning the bass side to D (open C#). So, same tuning as Baritone in Bass, but up a half step in the melody side.

Geez, there is the sordid history of the full baritone tuning.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:53 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Ahhh..... so if I continue with my order the way it is now, (Deep Baritone Melody) If I wanted to try full baritone, all I would have to do is tune the bass strings up a whole step without any string changes?... that sounds easy enough.... so why would it be a custom string order?

I'm ordering medium gauge on the bass side and heavy on the melody side.

.........I apologize for hijacking this thread......

earthgene wrote:

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:00 pm