It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:48 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next
 RailboardTM preproduction details 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: RailboardTM preproduction details
without the anodizing the aluminum wouldn't be very hard, though. So I'm not sure if a super shiny one is possible.

Wed May 16, 2012 1:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
without the anodizing the aluminum wouldn't be very hard, though. So I'm not sure if a super shiny one is possible.

In a previous post, I mentioned TiN (titanium nitride) coating. The cosmetic effect is gold colored. Generally the thickness is less than .0005". If one was to order a thicker coating, you could have it polished out to a golden mirror finish. We're talking some serious bucks though. The TiN coatings are very hard and are used for high grade cutting tools to improve wear characteristics. I don't know whether you could do the same with the anodizing treatment.

My personal tastes would lean toward the colored anodizing. The satin, iridescent colors are beautiful to me. The notion of a mirrored Stick is a little bit too "disco" for me.

Wed May 16, 2012 2:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

the final jeopardy theme keeps playing in my head.. At 1/2 speed. (sigh)

Sun May 20, 2012 4:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Emmett and/or Greg,

Can you give us any idea at all on both price point and production dates? Would also love to hear some sound samples of this new beast...

Kris

Mon May 21, 2012 9:42 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I am one of those would-be Stick players who can't afford the instrument; case in point, my only two posts on this forum (at the time of writing) are in a classified thread. As such, I wait with baited breath for news of the pricing for a 12 String Grand Railboard.

Regarding aesthetics, I like wood. I can't seem to shake my desire for a naturally dark bamboo Stick with black tuning machines and black linear inlays (I have a passion for Go, so the design inspiration is my Go board [I'd even like to find some way to balance white and black inlays, naming the Stick Seki]). Would it possible to produce the Railboard in a subdued, wood-ish color?

One more note about pricing, though I'm sure it's a tired subject. I am more or less permanently unemployed due to a from-birth disability, and the rules of the government program which funds my existence mean that I have absolutely no hope of affording a 12 String Grand (even the most basic 10 String Stick would be a tremendous stretch and risk a terrifying phone call from the powers that be). Do initial indications show that the Railboard might allow for a significant price reduction?

The above was written with the utmost respect and a great deal of effort (to avoid many an irrelevant comment describing my situation) whilst listening to Stick performances on YouTube (a great way to enjoy this forum). Even if I never own your instrument, Mr. Chapman, you and your devotees have inspired me to a degree that feels somehow fake to express.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 28, 2012 11:35 pm

Can't wait to hear this new version, should be interesting and I think the bass might be a little Rickenbacker sounding. My choice of color would be burnt orange. Emmett your truly a pioneer.

Tue May 29, 2012 7:50 am
Contributor
Contributor

secondfiddle wrote:
Can't wait to hear this new version, should be interesting

Me too.

Having owned a Travis Bean, Veleno, Gittler and other metal stringed instruments, I as well as others ultimately came to the realization that there is no comparison when it came to the Organic Warmth, Intimacy and Timbre of wood.

I think it is partly due to the fact that we have been listening and playing wood stringed instruments for centuries so our ears and brains are accustomed.

There are however some other benefits to the metallurgical properties of aluminum with respect to the Railboard™ and I look forward to the development process.

Cheers

Last edited by ChapStick on Tue May 29, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 29, 2012 8:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Good post Chapstick, there is something to be said about the warmth of wood. As a guitarist I have only played rosewood necks and hate maple, is this a prejudice against maple, yes and no. Both are wood hence warmth. I know both can sound warm but my fingers just feel better on a rosewood neck. I'm getting a Lil off topic but I think the Stick transcends wood or metal.

Tue May 29, 2012 9:46 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I just got the internet and so i wanted to ask is the stickup available for the railboard? thanks

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:54 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

If by chance Emmett is reading...First of Hi!, Ill call soon.
Remember how I got the Stickup in my once actv block Stick? Kinda a weird method I think but it works perfectly! What about that on this new stick?

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:28 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next