It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:28 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next
 RailboardTM preproduction details 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: RailboardTM preproduction details
Will the Grand Stick version have wider string to string spacing too? (That would be nice.) Will there be a slot for a GK pickup? (I'm guessing so, but in the prototype it looks like there isn't space.)

I'm guessing the dot position markers have a spot machined into the aluminum. Does that mean linear markers would not be available? Might be better (cost less/be more flexible) to paint/anodize the markers on or use a very high quality "sticker".

I wish I were an inventor ... its fun to dream about "what ifs ..." :)

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:18 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Great to read all the enthusiasm and support here, as well as some genuine concern about new and unfamiliar shapes, features, materials and design. I'll try to catch up on your questions as below:

To Walter: Yes, my machinist has provided for all fixtures and threaded holes in the truss channel so as to precisely realign the aluminum neck beam for any future resurfacing / refretting.

To windflight, Per and Russell: Yes, a GK-3 MIDI pickup channel will be cut between bridge plate and Block on the next pre-production neck beam and going into production.

To Kevin and Per: Wenge headstocks wouldn't be too hard to make by hand, or even to have CNC machined for that matter.

To Rich: Yes, any dual bass tuning including DBR should work fine with the Railboard's wider string spacing and should sound good with a little extra bright "ring", also with lots of bottom end.

To dsantana: Yes, there's a slight "clang" to it, a bit like English bells (I like to say), but regardless of materials (and I've used them all), those tonal effects are very subtle. The light Free Hands technique produces more of a pickup sound and less of the sound reflections from body or neck mass.

To flynlion: A video would be appropriate and I hope soon to have one with good sound and no effects. Besides the "generic" sound of Villex's new Block, similar to the PASV-4, there'll be a sampling of various strongly filtered tones, also a very "hollowed out" acoustic tone on each side.

To Russell: The circular "bowls" could be stretched to any length, even made thinner to form substantial lines with rounded ends close to the fretboard edges.

And to several others: The "Grand" version will be a little ways down the road, as I need to redraw all dimensions and redesign all parts to fit and be comfortable to the player. And yes, the twelve strings will be noticeably more widely spaced than on the hardwood, bamboo and graphite Grand Sticks.

BTW, I'm excited too. Best, Emmett.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:29 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I'm excited. Already asked to be waitlisted for the first run! \m/

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:56 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The position marking possibilities here could be endless. Circular, crescent, ying yang, star, skull and crossbones for the metal guys. A few code tweaks and presto. I don't know much about CNC but this isnt outside the envelope of what is possible with this tech.

Metal and wood together is a sexy combo so thanks Emmett for making this an option........ and who doesn't like english bells?

cheers,
kev

Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I really like the idea of a DBR tuned, black anodized Railboard. I assumed black will be an option. Ever since the Model T, you know. I don't mind the bowls at all, but as Emmett mentioned, if they could be extended similar to the linear inlays that would look cool. At least in my mind's eye.

(Rhetorical question) How can you add all this innovation at a lower price point? I thought the trend in production was to take away features and charge more. ;-) Kudos Emmett / Stick Enterprises!

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:09 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

RichSnyder wrote:
(Rhetorical question) How can you add all this innovation at a lower price point? I thought the trend in production was to take away features and charge more. ;-) Kudos Emmett / Stick Enterprises!
By selling more Sticks? The more we get out and play our Sticks in public the more new players will decide on buying a Stick. There seem to be an untapped market for Sticks our there; at least that's my impression from having used a Stick in concerts for a year, so far. People often come up an ask where they can buy such an instrument.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

RichSnyder wrote:

Hi Rich, I know it's a rhetorical question, but it bears some clarifiction. The real benefit of this new model is the mechanization of the fretwork profile that is machined into the Railboard. This is work that is currently done by hand, and one reason why Sticks take as long to make as they do. It's also something unique to Sticks among instruments, and one big reason why they play so well.

It's not clear how much less the new instruments will cost, but what is clear is that Emmett has figured out a way (finally) to automate a key portion of his craft. That will ensure Sticks can be made to his standard without his direct involvement, which is great for my friend Emmett the musician.

Congratulations, Emmett!

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

"untapped" market. Heh.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:28 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

RichSnyder wrote:
"untapped" market. Heh.

D'oh!!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:13 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
It's not clear how much less the new instruments will cost, but what is clear is that Emmett has figured out a way (finally) to automate a key portion of his craft.

I don't expect much of a price drop. Compared to boutique guitars/basses the Stick is more than fairly priced. You really understand the precision when you look down the fretboard and see perfection. No buzzes on an instrument with low action to start with. One of my recent basses was Plek'ed which is supposed to be setup to numerical perfection. It was good, but not even close to a Stick setup.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:44 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next