It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:03 pm

Beginner catching other strings 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Beginner catching other strings
I'd appreciate some advice - Im a beginner and I'm having trouble hitting only 1 string at a time on the treble side - particularly hitting the 6th (on a 34" 10 string) when playing in apparently the right place on the 5th. I don't seem to have this problem on the bass side (except for just putting my fingers in the wrong place, if you know what I mean).

Any tips? Also, is a 10 string Grand easier to play from that point of view? I have quite large hands but not a big sideways stretch.

Max

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:32 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Beginner catching other strings
maxr wrote:
I'd appreciate some advice - Im a beginner and I'm having trouble hitting only 1 string at a time on the treble side - particularly hitting the 6th (on a 34" 10 string) when playing in apparently the right place on the 5th. I don't seem to have this problem on the bass side (except for just putting my fingers in the wrong place, if you know what I mean).

Any tips? Also, is a 10 string Grand easier to play from that point of view? I have quite large hands but not a big sideways stretch.

Max
Hi Max,

The best way to avoid this is to make sure to curve your fingers like hammers, and play with the tips of the fingers only contacting the string. Accuracy is really enhanced if you use hand movement along the line of the string to energize the notes, not just a "typing" motion. I don't know if you have my DVD, but this hand movement concept, rather than using an up-and-down only motion is the key to solving so many issues.

It's harder to be as precise when all of the work is being done by the fingers alone.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

It's interesting I think
I almost always touch the next lowest string (sometimes 2 below) They never "sound" though unless I intend them too.

I'm sure I don't have the best technique, but it works for me. Does anyone else play this way?

Brett

ps dont try to fix me................I aint broken....just different

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:21 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

brett,

i experience the same "touch" to adjacent strings here and there with the middle and ring finger of my right hand. (i know.. don't put your hand under a) lawnmower sliced about 1/2 inch off each 2 years ago and they both have a "stumpy" tip. i seriously considered a 10 string grand for the extra space between the strings, but was determined to overcome the stupidity. 12 string grand is working out beautifully.

like you, if i don't mean for the unintended strings to sound, they don't.

i am IN LOVE with this instrument. ii think it truly is a work of art.

jimi

Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys - Brett just reminded me that practising through a Vox headphone amp, as I am at the moment, seems to amplifying noises I don't hear through the Micro Cube amp I use at other times, including string rattles. I guess if I can get rid of the unintentional noises when through the headphone amp, I'll be doing OK.

Max

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:41 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

right

You want the best technique you can get. Greg is awesome at this, listen to what he has to say.

Brett

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

practice.
you will still be crashing into unwamted strings a year from now so dont get discouraged dude.

cheers,
kev

Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I have monstrous fingers and it has just been a matter of practice for me. I used to get very discouraged and would not play Stick for years. Over the last ten years though I would just keep playing scales and improvised lines and gradually got better. I get better when I write songs on the Stick ,do some of that too. Greg is the technique guy as far as the Stick goes ,I think, be sure to check out everything he has available.

BassLabs 10 string #5050
PASV4
baritone melody
Mesa Walk About bass amp
Mesa TA-15 amp

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks for all the votes of confidence, guys.

The DVD presents the concept of movement along the string very clearly. It's an approach that applies equally well to any style of music, so I hope you'll give it a try.

Incorporating hand movement will help your tone, timing, dynamic control, balance out the volume and articulation of your fingers, and make it possible to play legato with clear attacks on ascending and descending lines.

It also makes it easier to develop rhythmic independence between your hands, as it helps separate the interconnectedness between your fingers that can build up of years of guitar or bass playing.

For those of you who haven't done so already....check it out:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tNFmXFQ4kU[/youtube]

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Beginner catching other strings
May I add that hand movement also simplifies singing A LOT (for all singing stickists out there).

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery