It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 7:22 am

Stick player in New Orleans ? 

Post Stick player in New Orleans ?
Hello stick players.
I play the Stick since 1984, and I am one of the very few porfessionnal musician in France to play only the Stick. I was the co-organizer of the Allaire festival between 2001 and 2006, and we were very honoured to meet some of our best Stick players there, we were so happy to guess Emmett and Dan Chapman in 2005. Last year we did create a new festival, "Les Folies Tapping", Kevin Keith was there.
Now I will be in New Orleans, Louisiana, from wenesday oct the 5th to saturday oct the 15th, to learn about typical New Orleans music with 10 french musicians, a great occasion for us to visit a very special part of U.S.
My question is : if there is Stick players in New Orleans that would like to meet and exchange, I would be so happy.
All the best to all Stick players.
Youenn Landreau.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:35 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Stick player in New Orleans ?
Welcome to the forum, Youenn. I have enjoyed your Stick playing for several years. It is very cool that you will be coming to the US and will only be 1,700 km from where I live. However, that's still a bit of a distance and I'm afraid I won't be able to come jam with you. I'm hoping there will be a few lucky Stick players who will be able to meet you.

Have a great time in a great city.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hi Eric.
Thanks a lot for your words, that's nice.
It would be nice if I can meet a Stick player, but 1,700kms is not a short distance, US is a so huge country compared to France.
Thanks Eric.
All the best.
Youenn.

Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:03 am

Hello Stick players.
I am now in New Orleans since yesterday, we are here with 10 french musicians to learn brass band and cajun music from local musicians. We appreciate very much the atmosphere of this particular city, yesterday night we went in Bourbon Street, we were impressed by the sound of the bands in the bars, they play so loud !
I would still like to meet a Stick player if there is one in New Orleans. A fench musician who is leaving here told me that there was a Stick player here a few years ago but it is possible that he is not here anymore.
If somebody can give me an information in this sense, I would be pleased.
I can tell you that playing Stick in New Orleans style is not so difficult, I play the bass lines and the chords, but we are just at the biggining of our 12 days staying here. We will meet a lot of musicians playing in different styles, good time here.
Cheers to you all.
Youenn Landreau.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:57 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I wish you the best during your stay in New Orleans Youenn. I'm anxious to hear what impressions that New Orleans, its culture, and musicians have on your music. You have always entertained and challenged me with your unique approach to rhythm and melodies. Again, the best of luck in your visit.

-Walter C.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hi Walter.
Thank you for your appreciation on my music. Don't be affraid of the influence of what I will hear in New Orleans. I will always catch something in each music that I will approach, and I will never consacrate myself playing only one music. Here, it is the meeting of african, european, Indian american cultures, old and modern styles.
It is my first time in US and I know that New Orleans is a particular place. I hope that I will have the occasion to visit other places, but it is a chance to have the opportunity to come here. Louisiana's culture has a part of France, and celtic feeling is not far in Cajun music.
All the best.
Youenn.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:52 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Youenn,
I think you misinterpreted my writing about being anxious. I meant that I eagerly awaited to hear the effects that your visit has on your music.

-W

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Ok, thank you for the precision, and sorry for my misunderstanding of the subtilities of your difficult language.
We'll see, this kind of meeting with another culture is rich, I like it.
All the best. Youenn.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:32 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Welcome here, Youenn, both to the US and to this Stick forum! I hope you enjoy the "French Quarter" of the USA. There is someone living in Louisiana who I've often said reminds me of you. It's the State Governor, Bobby Jindal, whom I first saw on TV news during the Gulf of Mexico oil crisis.

We can probably put you in touch with a couple of Stick players in Louisiana. Just give us a telephone call or send an email message. All the Best, Emmett.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:41 pm

Hi Emmett.
You're so kind to write me here.
The state governor of Louisiana is my sosie ??? Too funny !
If you know about Stick players here, I'd prefer that you send me an email, write me at y.landreau@free.fr
I'll write you to tell you my impressions at the issue of our workshop here, it's funny to play Stick in this special style, it is not so difficult to adapt myself.
Many thanks Emmett.
All the best.
Youenn.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:10 pm