It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:36 am

Report on LBJF 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Report on LBJF
If you weren't at The Long Beach Jazz Fest you missed a fantastic weekend. It was truly a celebration of creative music played to extremely enthusiastic crowds. Every set was unbelievable. Players included Rachel Z, Omar Hakim, Oz Noy, Charlie Hunter, Chieli Minucci and Special EFX, Bakithi Kumalo, Georeg Cables, Cecil McBee, Victor Lewis, Dean Brown, my Stick-Tet and much more. As producer, I'm very gratified that the players all want to return to play for our wonderful audiences. Gonna' be tough to elevate the roster for our tenth edition next year, but it will happen. Plan on it.
SA

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Report on LBJF
Sweet, one of these years I gotta make it up there. Coordinate some lessons and experience the n.y madness and stuff. Is brooklyn close to your lesson studio? I got a friend up there I can stay with.

So how was your set? Are you still playing regular grand or some of the half fretless? I know the fusion jazzers would freak about the fretless sound on stick because of that classic bass sound. Maybe a bit more familiar and mellow with less crisp treble/punch?

What was Charlie Hunter up too? I have heard he is going for a 'less chops approach, but with his crazy 8 string I find that hard to imagine haha. I actually like his solo work the best as he really has that integrated groove thing happening with bass and all. I wonder how much of his style would work on the NS, and if his fanned frets are totally crucial.

Any favorites or interesting bits? I know ya try to post vids so I'll be on the lookout.

Cheers!

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:48 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Good on YOU, Steve!!! What a great undertaking this must have been, and what a stellar line up of players!!! OFF THE FREEKIN' HOOK!!! :mrgreen: :ugeek:

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:50 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Indeed. When I think about the quality of players on our roster, I just I'm amazed. It was a perfect storm for four days. 3000 fans, 50 musicians and one producer are smiling today.

And Oceans, I'm not near Brooklyn, my teaching studio is actually in Brooklyn
SA

Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I was there on Saturday and it was fantastic. I really enjoyed Connie Crothers and George Cables Trio. I was unfamiliar with both artists and this was my first exposure. I think I've made it to 4 of the last 6 LBJF's and I'm never disappointed. It's an easy place to get to (and the traffic isn't bad because it's always after Labor Day when the beach crowd has gone home for the season)...plus all the entertainment at the library is free. How can you beat that?

Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:41 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

James, how long did you stay? Through Rachel's set?
Glad you could make it

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Steve,
Lee Vatip wrote:
James, how long did you stay? Through Rachel's set?
Glad you could make it

Unfortunately no, we weren't able to stay all the way to the end. We had kind of decided that this time we'd play it by ear and not stay the entire time. We did stop by Artie's Fish Market on our way home though. :) That place is awesome.

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:11 am