It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:27 pm

"Ether Ore" available as download for the first time 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post "Ether Ore" available as download for the first time
Hi Everyone,

Ether Ore is finally available as a digital download, via bandcamp.

You can even check out the whole things first if you like:

This CD is totally live, improvised, and with no loops. Just me, my Sticks and my SE-70s and TC Fireworx.
Hope you like it:

http://greghoward.bandcamp.com/album/ether-ore

So far, I'm really loving bandcamp as a means of distribution, though I haven't tried to do anything that I had to pay licenses for yet like Beatles covers, so I don't know how that works on it.

Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:21 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: "Ether Ore" available as download for the first time
This album is very cool. I think that the really long improv on there is my favorite. The sound is a bit different as It was recorded with a mic, but it captures it quite well. Its a really raw and unique track, with many different vibes. This is the side of Greg's that I am really into. Its also the stuff I play for people as an example of "electronic' Stick and exploratory improv.

Anyhow, whats the deal with bandcamp? Seems like really good quality and ok prices. I like that you can pick different formats to download too. Is it the new thing for downloads or still incubating?

Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:03 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Oceans wrote:
This album is very cool. I think that the really long improv on there is my favorite. The sound is a bit different as It was recorded with a mic, but it captures it quite well. Its a really raw and unique track, with many different vibes. This is the side of Greg's that I am really into. Its also the stuff I play for people as an example of "electronic' Stick and exploratory improv.

Anyhow, whats the deal with bandcamp? Seems like really good quality and ok prices. I like that you can pick different formats to download too. Is it the new thing for downloads or still incubating?
Hi Ben,

I'm so glad you like the disc. Admittedly the audience for this kind of music is small, especially the noisier shade of it ( like "Freedom of Expansion") For a while I was listening a lot to David Torn's Tripping Over God, and I think a fair amount of the willingness to be a noisy improvisor comes from there.

I recently found out about bandcamp when someone sent me a download to check out. It's a very nicely set up service. So far I haven't tried selling anything that has not been released in physical form, but that will come soon, as I can't see that there will be enough demand for all the music I'd like to put out in CD format.

The "physical product" boundary keeps me from putting certain things out there that I'd like people to hear, but don't necessarily want to just give away.

Stay tuned...

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Always was particular to this album since you released it right around the time we were moving to Virginia- went to one of your gigs at Miller's in Charlottesville when you were recording these improv shows and saw the CD release party at Gravity Lounge.

I also think it's a really great showcase of effective signal processing on the Stick, showing that you can explore some unique sonic territory without MIDI.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

robmartino wrote:
Always was particular to this album since you released it right around the time we were moving to Virginia- went to one of your gigs at Miller's in Charlottesville when you were recording these improv shows and saw the CD release party at Gravity Lounge.

I also think it's a really great showcase of effective signal processing on the Stick, showing that you can explore some unique sonic territory without MIDI.
HI Rob,

If I remember in those days you were a single malt whiskey fan. There are times when I miss playing in that little club, the I walk in and hear how noisy the audience is and all the nostalgia just vanishes...

Your point about the power of effects alone is well-taken. I've never really warmed up to amp modeling and guitar-to-MIDI control of sounds. Even the slightest delay in responsiveness is very distracting to me, and I find most of the modeling processors I've tried still have that slight delay. To me it feels like I'm stepping back from my amp a bit, and it's taking the sound just a little longer to reach me.

So I definitely enjoy spending the time to create these multi-multi-effects patches, and the feeling of driving them with those good vibration strings. Even with lots of effects in the chain, I still feel more like I'm hearing the string's instantaneous response, which is the joy of Stick playing as far as this former keyboard player is concerned.

Long live the Boss SE-70!

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery